Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  May 05, 2024, 01:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Just who supplies earth with what?  (Read 15931 times)
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 11:55:20 PM »

I personally find super noves a ridiculous idea for a game touting itself as realistic. it already has to deal with the fact that AUs are used completely wrong. Isn't an AU the distance from the sun to Earth? I will check that. 21

At any rate, it makes more sense to simply have "new deposits/clouds" discovered on already existent bodies than to have stars exploding and new solar systems forming in the course of our lifetimes. I mean, c'mon, those things take millions of years to happen! Is everyone going to lose everything they have sitting around those systems when they explode? Why not just Keep It Simple Stupid and let the more realistically viable solution play out? In fact, why not make surface scanners a thing, and have players start finding their own deposits of resources on the system bodies in the first place?
Report to moderator   Logged

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »

I personally find super noves a ridiculous idea for a game touting itself as realistic. it already has to deal with the fact that AUs are used completely wrong. Isn't an AU the distance from the sun to Earth? I will check that. 21

At any rate, it makes more sense to simply have "new deposits/clouds" discovered on already existent bodies than to have stars exploding and new solar systems forming in the course of our lifetimes. I mean, c'mon, those things take millions of years to happen! Is everyone going to lose everything they have sitting around those systems when they explode? Why not just Keep It Simple Stupid and let the more realistically viable solution play out? In fact, why not make surface scanners a thing, and have players start finding their own deposits of resources on the system bodies in the first place?

I do agree normally it should take that long. Super Nova's aren't the most realistic idea but it would be better then nothing.  As for losing stuff.  From what SirEmi has told us when it is added in, we should have like a week's warning if our stuff is there that it is going nova. That is plenty of time to get our stuff out of there. It also enables us to sorta use novas as a weapon against people.  What I am wondering though is if ships there would be destroyed. There wouldn't exactly be a safe area to emergency warp to. lol. 
sargas
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »

I guess we just gotta wait and see.

[IMG] is (according to rumor) investigating this phenom...

perhaps they have some more current intel?
Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:16 AM »

IMG has a number of systems prepped for the release of the Super Nova feature. We have systems that are completely devoid of resources as well a number with 5-10-15-20% of total resources left.

We also have modules left in place to observe the effect. A number a brave ship captains have volunteered themselves as test cases to see the  effects on ships.

Hopefully soon we will see what the effects are. We reserve the right to limit the sharing of key tactical knowledge...

Jazzbob
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »

I like the ideas of BBGoode!

Leader
IMPERIAL TRADE ORGANISATION
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »

New deposites occasionally being found might be one thing. But as I gather it, our sensors detect all resources on a planets surface, under and above it.  Meaning there is no way it could hide it.  So them suddenly just popping up makes no sense story wise. Once a planet has been mined of all resources, just like in the real world that planet is screwed.
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 01:18:41 AM »

Adjusting that story 'glitch' (I find there is no coherent story line anyway) in the story is a hell of a lot easier to explain than super novas and new plantes forming in mere hours. What brand of LSD are you drinking like kool-aid?

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »

Adjusting that story 'glitch' (I find there is no coherent story line anyway) in the story is a hell of a lot easier to explain than super novas and new plantes forming in mere hours. What brand of LSD are you drinking like kool-aid?

The story is Earth is out of resources. Sol Corporation which seems to own Earth, highers on new pilots to go out in the stars to search for more resources.

As far as we can tell our sensors can detect all resources on, in or above a planet. That would mean it is impossible for there to be hidden resources.

As for supernovas. Well lets just pretend in this universe when a Super Nova occurs, time rapidly speeds up within the given area and new planets and stuff are born. Though I am assuming when a planet goes nova it is more like the new system sprouts nearby but not in the exact same spot.
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 01:36:53 AM »

I rest my case.
By the way, does this mean that Sol is gonna implode/explode soon too?  confused
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:33:48 AM by BB Goode » Report to moderator   Logged

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »

I rest my case.
By the way, does this mean that Sol is gonna implode/explode soon too?  confused

Systems in 0,0 and the first ring (known systems) are not going to have supernovas. That is what SirEmi has said anyways.  I know I know.  We all want to blow up Sol from time to time lol
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

It seems, BBGoode, that perhaps you are reading too much into the game vs reality.
Here is a reality, WE cant possibly travel 16LY distance in a matter of minutes. Yet in the game i can do it easily. if i wanted to go crazy i could do it in a matter of seconds (based on my corp's current equipment and science techs).
Now, since the very basic concept of this type of space travel is already incredibly impossible (if it is not, please show me the math that allows it), i cant see why you have any objections to the rest of the concept with game the mechanics of "time/speed" mathematics.
The concept of a ultra-rare (i believe they call them type 1a and 1b, though many other factors can cause other stellar phenomenon to occur) star going supernova which in turn excites the cold gases in space to start more star births, as well as fuses elements which cant normally be produced in stellar systems normal life-cycles, is not only fact, its evidenced and accepted among the smarter of our scientists. The simple fact that gold exists, as well as platinum, uranium and other heavy element on our very planet which is not produced by our own sun is evidence enough that we picked up our rocky mantle and elements from the final breath of a dying (catastrophically dying) star or stars. (or maybe God put it all there to give us miners a hobby)
It is also known that the time line to this happening is relatively quick (in universal time) from birth to death for these stars to re-emergence of new stars (a few hundred million years)
So now we come to the crux of the matter, that it takes only mere weeks to accomplish this in game. Who would play a reality game where a game turn took 100 million years to play? We could all start it, but none of us would finish 1 turn lol. If i can travel at an incredibly fast (faster than light) speed, then why not have all the other stellar factors also accelerated to keep in some sort of equal time-line?
And i guess, to add some real math to ii lets look at einsteins special relativity theorum, about the faster you travel, the slower time moves outside of the vessel as observed from outside. Plug in the fact that i can move the same distance in 15mins that it takes the speed of light a whopping 15.86 years to accomplish, chances are by the time i reach my 15ly destination, a billion years (give or take, not going to run the calc here. will take too long haha) would have elapsed from an outside observer's point of view, thereby justifying in the time-line of the supernova and re-incarnation model.
it already has to deal with the fact that AUs are used completely wrong. Isn't an AU the distance from the sun to Earth? I will check that
Indeed, an AU (astronomical unit) is the distance measure from the earth to sol (invented because the earth is the centre of the universe and everything revolves around it 16) Not sure what you mean by used completely wrong though. I personally dont even look at an AU. if the road map says its 4.3AU to the system from safe point, who am i to argue? i just click on the engage button. The two dimensional imagery of the system is probably more concerning with the sizing ratios in screen for mind haha.
We can all poke fun at models and time-lines and reality, but in the end, come on guys, this is a game and it is already very slooooowwwwwww....dont bring in more doses of reality lol
"brought to you today by your local reality assessor"
Dadds.

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:17 AM »

To be fair we aren't moving faster then light. Our ships are creating artificial wormholes.  Though the time it takes for calculations doesn't always make sense since these are super computers we are talking about and the same trip shouldn't always take the same amount of time for it to calculate.
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »

Our ships are creating artificial wormholes.
Hmmmm artificial meaning man-made from nature. Not ever seen a natural wormhole.
And why is my wormhole quicker or slower than your wormhole? lol. If its all about calculating when and where a worm hole will open up then the word "generator" needs to be replaced with "computer". If its all about having a more powerful generator then the WHG basically becomes a large power supply/energy generator only. If that was the case then opening a wormhole to jump me 2 miles or 200 ly should take the same amount of energy to open and remain stable, making larger calculations for longer plots incorrect. (since the wormhole concept states its 2 points connected together by the same space/time) Not to mention that out of all possible concepts, a wormhole is the most theoretical of everything about the possibility of space travel. There is no real mathematics in it at all, just a concept about bending space around time (or is it time around space) to make 2 points touch. Since even a black hole, which is a proven body and one of the most massive forces in a galaxy, exhibits no evidence to warp the fabric of space/time that much, then i wonder how on earth my little few thousand ton hull manages to pull enough gravity to cause a sinkwell in space/time to sink through to the other side lol
Also the calculations in game,  in opening a wormhole, is also the same basic mathematics on a larger scale that is applied to the FLT module, for "faster than light" which is an engine pushing the boundaries of lightspeed. This tends to make me want to believe its a fast "faster than light" engine rather than a generator of wormholes.
OK lets face it, none of us are physicists here (i am guessing) but we all have seen a lot of science fiction movies lol
My two favourite personal concepts would be a graviton drive or maybe a "dark matter" drive (its more modern concept/name). Both gravity and "dark matter" either exist or have been identified as existing in a real physical sense. (some clever boffin managed to get the universe onto a scale to weigh it and found it very light on and missing about 90% of its mass lol)
Now gravity is about the attraction of bodies, and dark matter is all about pushing gravity bodies away from each other. Here is a more conceivable form of harnessing a physical force for travel than theoretical wormholes. A graviton drive i see is not about how fast you can go, but turning off the attraction of bodies so that they move independently away from you at their particular speed through space. Perhaps that is what dark matter does?(i even looked at tachyons at one time for the concept of a tachyon drive, when i was but a mere teenager. I wonder where all those theses went? maybe they just got renamed to something else haha)
Though the time it takes for calculations doesn't always make sense since these are super computers we are talking about and the same trip shouldn't always take the same amount of time for it to calculate.
Anyway, if you look at generating this theoretical wormhole as requiring time to build up some sort of stabilizing, high energy discharge to produce a tunnel or connection between two points (still not sure how we then navigate into that event horizon though. are we drawn into it, or is it "impulse engines full steam ahead scotty!" or does it materialize on top of us to relocate to another place), then of course it would take the same time every time you try to open up a location to the same place. Its not the same as reducing the time finding your way there because you have been there once before lol. There is nothing simple about creating a "wormhole". I still like my model and concept of "travelling incredibly fast" to explain how things evolve and proposed to evolve in game lol

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »

I for one always liked the idea of Hyperdrives. The star wars expanded universe really helped to explain and help us understand it a bit better.  While their ships are capable of lightspeed, there is a faster way to travel and it doesn't even exceed lightspeed. That is through hyperspace.  Hyperspace is actually sorta a different reality close to our own. Sort of like a private space highway.  The ships use hyperdrives to jump into hyperspace to reach places quicker.   There are things that effect hyperspace though.  Like gravity wells. Larger ones in particular.  It is possible to even create ships that can create powerful enough artificial gravity wells strong enough to pull people out of hyperspace. Precise calculations need to be made before jumping because accuracy is the key.  A screw up can cause a ship to fly into a star or a blackhole. Probably a few other things too. I can't exactly remember all the details on this though off the top of my head.  To me hyperspace seems to make some sort of sense at least.
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 01:36:27 AM »

I didn't bother with all that, the first sentence says it all.

"To be fair"...the game bills itself as "realistic." Those aren't my words. However, other than the cluster being somewhat accurate, and soon to be totally not accurate, given all the super novas in our future, it seems that a bit of re-creative energy might be in order, or discontinuing of the false advertising. Ultimately I don't care which. I just know that I would never paint myself into that kind of corner. There is too little to be gained by it. And most all of your credibility to be lost by it.The entire calling card of the advertisement is shot in the flash of one moment of intellectually laziness.

Just sayin.... 7
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:38:16 AM by BB Goode » Report to moderator   Logged

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: