Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 26, 2024, 11:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Manufacturing, the expensive way!  (Read 4415 times)
Harachte
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »

It might be just a calculation error on my part,
but I think some manufacturing needs and/or resource prices aren't properly balanced... 4

I just researched the first step of the cargo module to be able to produce it;
when checking the necessary resources it showed:

20m³ Iron-nickel + 5m³ Aluminum + 16m³ Nitrogen

Current prices for these resources are (resp.): $24, $80 and $24/m³
This adds up to:

20m³*$24/m³ + 5m³*$80/m³ + 16m³*$24/m³ = $480 + $400 + $384 = $1264

While I can buy the same module for $1000 at the SOL Ship Maintenance;
so I lose $264 by producing it myself?!?  wow

Or have I overlooked something?  21
Report to moderator   Logged

Disclaimer: Anything written by this person [Harachte] here on forum and in any other message, private or public, is solely the opinion of the author and cannot be held to represent the official stand of the corporation [NHC] or any of its members, unless clearly stated otherwise.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »

The SOL prices for minerals / gases when buying in Earth orbit are more then when selling the resources.

Taking the default prices, the production cost should be equal to the value listed. It's not worth it to produce Mk I modules that you find in SOL orbit, but mark II and up and advanced modules should be profitable once the auction is in place and you may be able to get good markup prices for high-tech modules.

Harachte
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

Taking the default prices, the production cost should be equal to the value listed.

Al do respect, but that just doesn't make sense...

One of the basic rules of economics: selling price = [(cost of resources) + (labour cost)] + 50% (or so) profit margin
If not applied you'll go bankrupt within a year...

In any case; producing a (high tech) product yourself should always be cheaper than buying it from someone else!

P.S.: on hinesight this might not have been the best place to put this topic; perhaps move it to 'general'? (not a real bug)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:24:22 PM by Harachte » Report to moderator   Logged

Disclaimer: Anything written by this person [Harachte] here on forum and in any other message, private or public, is solely the opinion of the author and cannot be held to represent the official stand of the corporation [NHC] or any of its members, unless clearly stated otherwise.
Lovelace
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »

I actually think it IS a real 'problem'. But I also think it has been coded like that deliberately; and also, therefor (also when looking at the other games siremi made) think our beloved developer has no clue whatsoever about economics. (but do correct me if i'm wrong siremi!).
Sheb
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »

Well, it could represent the fact that Earth-based factories are much more efficient than your ship's shop.

Epsilon Indi Mining Corporation Associate
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: