Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 08:28:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: active ship scanners  (Read 7767 times)
the_king
Private

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

I think that active ship scanners would be a nice addition to the game

currently trying to scan a ship or station takes way to long (60min) and
it would be nice to add a mod or Research to lower this time.
Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »

It would be nice. I just try to take a guess at what the enemies stuff might be. Also staying that long next to a ship isn't a good idea. Especially if they are online and either looking to hit you or your looking to hit them.  I would say the current scanner is useful for people who's battles will take more then an hour. Of course this is provided they don't spend QP to speed up the attack time.
Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:11:50 AM »

Id suggest against pirate hijakers your timmer will soon exceed an hour anyway, and against players, if your going to attack them you either takes yer chances, or ye dun find out what you wanna know before you enter 'negotiations'
the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »

I know how an active ship scanners could work they could scan the system for ships or scan the ships near you. It would let people fine pirates and it would let pirates find better targets.

I think the best way to implement this is to make it a Module and and have the higher rating one active scan ships faster or have a higher percent chance to find ships in a system.

edit: It could  all so solve the problem with pirates just moving in the the safe zone at night because you could detect there ships in space and go attack them, and steal there rum.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:46:53 PM by the_king » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »

A system wide scan would be nice.  It would help a lot of us out a lot.  However what you said about going to a safe zone. What does it matter if you know that we jump to a safe zone? It's not like you can attack people there.
the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »

no safe zones are like earth it's a different game space for each player. I think it would be better if you dropped in to that point in space(what is now the safe zone) and could move back to it but other people could still go there if they could find it, by having you send them the coordinates or by locating your ship with a scan. So it still would be a safe point relatively unless you pissed some one off in the system or there are pirates there.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »

no safe zones are like earth it's a different game space for each player. I think it would be better if you dropped in to that point in space(what is now the safe zone) and could move back to it but other people could still go there if they could find it, by having you send them the coordinates or by locating your ship with a scan. So it still would be a safe point relatively unless you pissed some one off in the system or there are pirates there.

A safe zone is a safe zone. If it becomes possible to be able to attack people in it then it is no longer a safe zone. It is even worse since then with that scanner we could theoretically actually start pirating miners who enter those areas. Not to mention hitting ships which emergency jumped there. It could become a newbie/noob bashing zone.  Not a good idea. You might as well just remove the safe zones then.
the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »

Not if you set it up right. If you have several different locations say 10 or more and you make it so that you can get to it when you enter the system(point chosen randomly) , emergency jump from combat(also random), chose the hide in deep space option on the system map(also random), and finally find a ship with your scanners at one of the points.

That would fix it to keep them from being Noob bashing points Because say it takes 60 min to scan a system then it takes another 10-20 min to get there it would be very hard to bash Noobs. The way i think the scanners would work is that with a lvl 1 scanner there is a 15% chance to find a ship in the system, so you would find some of the ships in the system but might not find the ship your looking for. at high lvl i think that diminishing returns would work nice so you can never be 100% certain. or another thing you could do is have stealth mods to stop scaners. 

and JamJulLison Thank you for constructive criticism it's helping me flesh out this idea
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »

If your hiding in deep space and can be attacked if you are detected then it isn't a safe zone. A safe zone is just that, a safe place to go. Every single system has one. Your idea does have some merit. So how about this? Safe Zones exist but only in 0.0 area. Other systems elsewhere do not have one. The current ones can be said to have become destabilized by pirating and such. The only way to truly hide is in deep space like you said in those parts of the galaxy. However locating someone in deep space should require a different scanner then one required for scanning a system. Just because you would likely be scanning a bigger area. This could be an interesting add on. Though if it is added in, to balance things out they need like a sensor jamming module which you also mentioned. I also think the sensor jamming module should have a secondary effect. When on the offense it helps to reduce the attack timer. After all if they have trouble detecting your ship, they will have less time to prepare against an attack.
the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:56 AM »

That could just work so two new modules the scanner and the jammer.

The scanner would work to let you scan the planets or scan the open system space you cant do both at once and open space should take longer say 3 hours compared to 1 hour for planets and will only provide basic information say hull type, name and location.

While the jammer lets you attack faster say hard cap max of 15% while making less likely you will be located when some one is scanning.

With few mods to the world to make it so past 0.0 area there are no true safe zones just areas for you to hide.

That would make some interesting game content like game of cat and mouse in deep space between pirate and bounty hunter.

WolfDoc
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »

i have to agree, when in deep space u shouldn't have a safe zone, but a location that has to be exactly pinpointed to be attacked, part of the great unknown in traveling in the unknown part of space..there also should be a module to cloak and reveal ships in deep space. But i also think u should be able to jump to points in the "actually" part of the game that say that are unknown, so that u establish a space station, thus a real hiding space..
the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »

now the question is will Sir Emi put any of this in to the game.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: