Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 06:16:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Projects priority  (Read 49516 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »

Other combat / trading missions
Supernova, star life, map navigation
Corporation waypoints
Mysterious encounters
Updating star maps from nav computer
Sol ships and modules auction

Resource auction / market, missions and mining provide most of the minerals and gases, prices are set by supply and demand.

Ship to ship direct trade

Corporation stations
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:10:56 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

norill
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:03:57 AM »

is it sorted by descending priority? if so i think "Updating star maps from nav computer" should be higher, that seems easy to quite code and very beneficial
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »

is it sorted by descending priority? if so i think "Updating star maps from nav computer" should be higher, that seems easy to quite code and very beneficial

Might shift some up and down as we go. The self-updating nav computer is tricky, it needs it's own database to keep the stuff you explored stored in there and continuously update as you explore, and you'll see a graphical representation of territory colonized, ships positions etc.

Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

Happy to destroy pirates nests every day of the week lol. however, it may be required to have ship carrier capability to do so (even though pirate ships are easily beaten 5 v 1 by our crew lol). I vote on making carrier the first priority.
My 2nd interest is in Nova. really looking forward to that event! (thats going to really mess with Nav mapping. good luck with that one lol)
Corporation stations way down on list. I would have thought that would be hand in hand with corporation ships and thought it may be higher up on agenda.
But yeah, bring on carrier and nova. Things will get interesting then.

Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »

I would also think the map would be a higher priority, seeing as how the only way to know where you are right now is either just a lot of experience or taking screen shots and creating your own map. If a landmark we are using right now to find our way back from the outer regions goes supernova we(people like me without that much experience) might find ourselves very very lost.

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:04 AM »

I would also think the map would be a higher priority, seeing as how the only way to know where you are right now is either just a lot of experience or taking screen shots and creating your own map. If a landmark we are using right now to find our way back from the outer regions goes supernova we(people like me without that much experience) might find ourselves very very lost.

I have to agree with you here.  Especially since a good portion of them will go nova when it is added in.  Star maps should come first.
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:22 AM »

I have to agree with you here.  Especially since a good portion of them will go nova when it is added in.  Star maps should come first.
I have never had the need of a star map and have managed to map 3/4 of the known galaxy. It becomes easier now than ever with better technology. If the stars change in their constellations, we will just re-map them and edit our own star charts. Not huge on our list of things that need to be developed. Will still be pretty handy though and save time playing as a cartographer

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »

I have never had the need of a star map and have managed to map 3/4 of the known galaxy. It becomes easier now than ever with better technology. If the stars change in their constellations, we will just re-map them and edit our own star charts. Not huge on our list of things that need to be developed. Will still be pretty handy though and save time playing as a cartographer

Yes but think of how much easier it would be if the star maps updated for each individual or it allows us to share nav data with the entire corp?  It is a lot less micromanaging we have to do on our own.
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »

As i said, handy and save me a lot of manual time outside of the game, but not what i would call essential or priority for us

Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:47:10 AM »

At IMG our corp already shares Nav Data via a Corp Star Map... we have a corp star map, corp survey DB etc... this is not really needed...

I get that it will help others that dont explore...but why reward those that dont explore and work together?
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »

Because right now we have an nonfunctional nav chart.  It will actually serve those who explore.  It just will save people the time of keeping an excel sheet full of planet coordinates.  People will still have to visit these things to keep it updated too. From what I gather on this not only will a system not appear on the chart unless you visit it, but if a system goes nova it will not autoupdate it. You will have to go back to the area for it to show it is no longer there.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »

I'm not really a bigger player in this game, though I'd like to think I'm not a total noob anymore, but this is what I have to say on the matter. Right now I certainly do explore and I have been taking screen shots and lining up planets onto one large map to assemble my own galaxy map. However, once supernova's are put into the game, I would imagine that a good portion of my map will essentially be wiped out. I don't know how large a portion would be wiped out but the point is enough of it could be wiped out to the point where my map becomes useless and it would be easier to start over, which would mean going back to Sol and starting from there again.

I'm sure supernovas won't effect the larger players that have been mapping for idk how long as much, with your ships being as fast as they are I'm sure you could replace the sections of your map that get blown up fairly quickly. Plus if you are a part of a large corp that is dedicated to mapping the galaxy then that is all the more reason why it won't effect you. However the average player is not so lucky. The way I see it everyone does explore in their own way, it's the fact that you have to go through a fair bit of effort outside the game in order to map things that explains why the majority of players don't have maps.

I see no reason to punish players that have done the same amount of exploring as anyone else but don't have the time to spend hours recording data on where everything is.

Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »

I see no reason to punish players that have done the same amount of exploring as anyone else but don't have the time to spend hours recording data on where everything is.
I do. If you have done the same amount of exploring as me and you dont have the same access to maps as i do, then I dont see how rewarding laziness or sloppiness is a good thing haha We at IMG have put a lot of hard work and labour into charting this galaxy. Me in particular since i was the first of my corp explorers. My 2IC developed the database that made it easier to store this info and built the map from the jpg images of our travels.
If having a comprehensive star map is important to you, then do as we have done. Build those maps. If you want to object its not fair because we are a big corp etc etc then join a big corp to take advantage of their resources.
I would also like to note that our star charts and system date have only been built from a few player inputs. Not all of our corp choose to spend their time exploring and logging every action, so we are only like the "average player" when it comes to mapping. It just takes a little bit of extra time and a desire to do so. That time is well rewarded while systems remain stable and when they do eventually nova or expire, then we can use our old database as a comparison map to further explore the new evolving galaxy.
The other argument is: If we all get this quick and easy ref material then; again it will benefit "the bigger players" more so than the smaller ones, since we can travel faster, further and have much more resources already out there. By giving you what you want, it may actually make it harder to be "the first one" to discover an anomaly before us lead players.
You cant have your bread buttered on both sides i am afraid lol

Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

I do. If you have done the same amount of exploring as me and you dont have the same access to maps as i do, then I dont see how rewarding laziness or sloppiness is a good thing haha

So because I don't have the time to assemble all these screenshots I am lazy/slopy? o.O Sorry I don't have the luxury of time to do all the things I'd like to do >_>

I understand you don't want all your work to be for nothing but the thing is... This update is already on Emi's list of things to do regardless. Idk about his history of actually putting things into the game he says he will but I assume that if it is on this list then it's going to be put in sooner or later.

I respect your position, I've been in the same position in other games where I've done work outside the game to gain an advantage and then had it taken away. (though usually in those cases it was because of a game reset or a feature being taken out of a game.) However, if it's going to be put in the game regardless and it will make things easier for everyone I simply can not agree with you at all.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »

Dadds they are still going to have to explore and visit each system for it to show up on the star chart anyways.  It won't auto update either if a system goes nova.  Each person's maps would be tied into their individual accounts.  This is something SirEmi has already said in the past. So people will still have to work hard and explore.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: