Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 26, 2024, 05:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: About to ruin the story line  (Read 17239 times)
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »

I truly think you have a good idea going here that can hook people into playing. The biggest problem I think you have is earth being the center of all. When everyone starts in the exact same spot, and builds from the exact same spot, you have noob fighting that will discourage some people from continuing, and you have more powerful forces that prevent people from expanding. I simply think you need a bigger universe. Allow for people to start in far away quadrants from one another. Just add to the story that the exploration and colonization of other worlds has already happened, but you need the corporations to maintain all of these universal mining operations and scientific research. This will help new people to have a better chance of growing before being decimated, and may allow for more unions between quadrants and create border type fighting while quadrants try to expand into other quadrants.

I can't think of any MMO that everyone starts on the same spot. I think it can lead to a way more intriguing story, have a little less competition at start up which will allow players a better chance to grow, and lead to more diverse relations. You can even add a faction type element in case you decide to run to another quadrant to run missions. Perhaps you have to work your way up to getting the good runs by getting the local boards to trust you more.

Arctic
Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 01:57:09 AM »

There are a ton of online MMO games on the net where people all start in the same place.  Also that noob fighting your referring to would be mostly newb fighting. Newb is a term for newbies. Noob is a term for idiots who act like newbies but are in fact more experienced players.   Regardless, newbies today have an easier time starting out since they get 30 days of protection. Well until they attack someone or move about 20k  points but that is still good and it is easy to stay low on points. Just don't power up all the way.  If your mining or doing transports that is pretty easy. Transports is what people should be doing earlier anyways. As for bigger players preventing growth.  That isn't true either. We can't really use our big powerful ships to maul over newbies because of the huge attack times. Just takes too long and most aren't worth wasting QP on to speed up the attacks.  So the best option is to use lower powered ships if we want to hit you which means it is a much closer fight and you stand a better chance. The only things we might outclass you on is engines on the weaker ships and perhaps shields. But shields will need to be kept relatively powered down along with weapons to ensure a faster attack time. Then there is the dodge rate for smaller ships giving you a good chance at survival. For those sort of attacks it is best we use small ships as well. In which case the battle between ships can easily end in a stalemate. As for stations, once again smaller ships are better for attacking them if it is a low powered station.  Power will of course still need to be low.  Same with for raiding defenseless mines.    If your worried about your mines being raided move further out then 0,0.  While the universe is small the chances of being found is pretty small too considering it's current size. You don't really realize it though until you are actually trying to find a certain group of people though.  Small players can easily rise up to become bigger players in this game. Some might donate to do this, but you can also manage this without donating.   I do think the universe should be made bigger though. On that part we agree. But the probe idea I had needs to be implemented first.  It is already hard enough to find someone as is. Expanding it will make it even harder.
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »

I think your looking at this from the current active player size. The goal for a game like this is to have hundreds to thousands playing. Can you really envision what it would be like to even have 300 people starting out in the same location and hoping that the majority stays on to make the game successful? You mention "a ton of online MMO games" that everyone starts off in the same place. Can you mention some that are successful? Not doubting you, I just haven't seen it yet. The only games I can think of are games that don't involve true PvP.

I still think that multiple start off locations would bring a better dynamic to the game. As I have stated in other posts, the point of the game is to not have a handful of people to stick around and be successful, the purpose of these games is to have countless amounts of people around the world being addicted to the game and playing constantly. The successful games have thousands of people playing. Can you really picture thousands starting off at Earth in this game environment? The universe needs to be bigger. There needs to be more start off points. Possibly having start off points that have certain advantages based on how people would like to play. Give people the option of stating they want bonuses in science, mining, defense, attack, etc, and based on that, will determine what colony they start in. That colony would have had advanced research in one of those fields. You will not help this game become something by thinking small. Picture in your head "if I started a brand new universe after beta, would I want 1000 people all starting at 0,0?"

To me, the answer would most certainly be no, because you would lose the majority within the first month. You yourself have stated in previous posts that sometimes you just simply destroy an outlying station because you don't want them to grow and be a threat. That's what keeps people feeling like they can not expand. But, if there are competing quadrants, you might find larger corporations being built because of quadrant pride, and you would see much more interesting conflicts, as well as more challenges in expanding way further into the universe. It will also give newer people a chance to become part of something, because corporations might take on lower power players simply because they need the manpower to organize border defenses. And of course, within every quadrant, you'll still have your pirates who will try to be a pain to everyone.

If this game doesn't think outside of its 4,4 box, we'll constantly be seeing less that 20 people a day signing on.

Arctic
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:32 AM »

P.S. I don't need education in Noob and Newbie. I've been playing online MMO's since AOL ruled the internet. I've seen a lot of games come, and a lot of games go. My business is business. I think this game can be pretty fun, and I would truly like it to succeed. You seem to want things to not change or evolve into success. You seem to be complacent, and you seem to be quick to shoot down any suggestion, possibly because it doesn't cater to your personal playing style. Think bigger before you criticize.

Arctic
Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:42:24 AM »

I agree the universe needs to get much bigger, also needs the ability to hunt for someone.. with the current 700+ systems for me & my mates finding Jam is just well annoying 1

We dont need multiple starting points just other places to go. Class is held at Sol, there should be a bit in HUGE BLINKING BOLD RED/PURPLE/NEON GREEN letters saying get our of Sol as well...

The hay stack is good to a point but our stack is kinda small right now. QP for jumps should be done away with... It should take "some" time to jump across the universe. I think right now I can do it for 16 QP and in about 2 mins if I click fast enough....thats to fast.... personally I think QP for attacks should go away as well or have a limit (say cut by half). Also timers should be reduced...8-12 hrs for an attack doesnt work with someone that plays more then once a day.

Alot of those 1000's of noobs  that sign on and leave though we don't really want...we want the ones that want to play our slow as crap game...this isnt a game of instant reward.

As for growing. I started at the end of December. I donated to buy 2 titans (not to expensive) then I built them out a specific way and earn tons of solars a day to continue my growth. We need smart players that play often not 1000's of dumb players that cant figure out hanging out where everyone starts isnt a good idea....

Now where is my probe...I must find Jam and show him my shinny raiding ship  12

Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:51:19 AM »

I understand what you are saying Aysle, but the fact is, for a game to succeed, you DO need all those "1000's of noobs". I know you want a personalized enjoyable experience, but this game is a business. For a business to make money, you need a lot of customers. Even 100 dedicated players will not make this a complete success. Even if you had 100 players donating 20 bucks a month consistently, that is 2000 bucks a month. That's poverty level money even if there was only 1 running this game and they had no overhead. I donated money towards the game, because I like to help out. But, my money is will not be endless if the game doesn't go anywhere. Eventually I will determine if the game works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I'll find the next beta project. It's just how things go.

Arctic
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »

1. When I stated I attacked others because I didn't want them as a threat, I was referring to people building up stations with defenses. Even then it was only for the 0,0 area.  That was also then.  This is now. Now when I do it in 0,0, it is to show how bad of an idea it is to build those station in 0,0.

2. The issue with starting in multiple places is that in the story, other planets haven't been colonized yet. Though I could see that in the future. But I can't see it being reasonable for them to start off in the colony since I doubt the colony's would have been around long enough for someone to grow up there. Also it would requires multiple tutorials to be added into the game.

3. The changes to newbie protection as I have stated before makes it easier for newbies. By the end of someone's first month or by the time they are up to 20k points at the very least they should be able to make it outside of sol and possibly out to the first ring.

4. You are right that Sol will become hell if there were thousands of players. Hell 0,0 period would be. This is why it is important now for people who start playing to learn not to mine and set up stations in sol or anywhere else in 0,0.  Hell with that many players even the first ring will be dangerous. By occasionally attacking people foolish enough to mine there, I hope to teach them not to.  If we ever get to where there are that many players though I won't need to teach them. The sheer number of other players attacking will do that for me.  For players who might come into the game then, I will likely shift my role to trying to help take on the pirates around there.  Not to mention ensure that no one in our corp raid people in the 0,0 area.  I am sure other corps will likely take an active role in helping newbies out in there as well. Keep in mind though that this game is still relatively new. For a new game with only 1 person actually running it, it isn't doing too bad.

5. The majority of the people who quit this game and games like this aren't doing it because of people attacking them.  It is because they grow bored. The players who have been a while for a while have gotten bored because the updates have been slow and there isn't enough for them to do in the game. Newer players get bored and quit because of how long it takes for them to be able to do stuff.  Many people don't like wait timers. Which is unfortunate since most timers aren't that bad. Though I do dislike how attack timers are done right now.  Do you know why it is common to see ships just sitting around Venus?  It is because there are many players who quit the game at that point.  With the newbie protection changes these newbies who quit before the 30 days are going to have mines littered around Sol too. Mines that are going to need to be cleaned up once their protection expires.  Once the game gets into the 1000s, if it ever does, this is going to become a bigger problem. Though if players are smart and just do transports in the beginning like I did, they should be alright. The beginning can be slow going and people have to be patient. Either that or donate. Unfortunately not enough people are patient and get tired of the grind and quit.

6. As for games.  I will name a few I have played but got kinda board with. Rouge Vampires, samurai of legend and Myths and Mortals. There are of course tons of games that are just like this. A lot of these games are just copies of other games that plague the net. There is another one though that while there is multiple starting points, it is a lot easier to be beaten down on and even killed causing you to lose everything or at least a good portion of your stuff depending on the insurance you have. That is Street Crime.  Someone kills you there and you are pretty much starting all over again which sucks. Yet people continue to play it and have for years.  After you reach a certain rank or after i think it's a week passes, your fair game. there is nothing really stopping anyone from gunning you down after that. At least on here you don't lose everything and if someone is messing with you, you can pack up and move to another area in the galaxy.

7. Apparently you did need a lesson on newb and noob terms because you used it wrong. I remember AOL. I remember having AOL myself. I also remember idiots constantly referring to people as noobs when they ment newbies. I am sure those same idiots still call them by that same name. That is why I correct people on the usage of it whenever it looks like they are using it wrong.

8. I do have a solution to the problem though if 1000s of players were playing.  At least for dealing with inactives. If someone is offline for a week, they are kicked out of newbie protection early and can be attacked. If someone hasn't been on for an entire month their accounts are deleted.  This will at least solve the problem of mines, stations and ships littering up Sol.  Also they could make it so it is impossible to attack anyone in Sol making all of Sol a safe zone. The rest of 0,0 might still be hell, but Sol would be safe.
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »

1. You blowing up player stations to "educate" them that it's a bad idea to set up in 0,0 because chances are that someone is going to come by and blow up their stations is kinda ironic. Don't you think? How about sending them a message and say "Hey, I've noticed that your trying to set up at such and such location. Let me tell you why this is a bad idea so that you don't lose what you spent a few weeks playing and investing in? You can try to justify your actions as performing good intentions but the bottom line is, there are better ways of helping new players than destroying their hard work.

2. "you have noob fighting that will discourage some people from continuing"  Still not seeing how I used that statement wrong. This statement has no reference to speaking about just new players. If you put the entire population into one spot, that means the entire population of "noobs" will be in one concentrated in one spot, probably making an expansion game such as this nearly unplayable. You stand corrected.

3. I know people end up not liking these types of game mechanics and move on early. But, there are others that enjoy these types of games, but feel it's pointless if everyone who plays is fighting over the same square. Plus, if you have everyone in the same spot all racing to the same SOS and COM missions, when it takes a few hours to reach them, and a ton of resources (relatively speaking when considering the income you make in the beginning), and constantly having it taken before you get there, people will decide "what's the point" and move on.

4. I know my idea doesn't fit the story line, thus my title "About to ruin the story line".

5. I know its possible to grow in these situations, but that doesn't mean you need to force the situation to begin with if you can make a better opportunity for more people to grow. Once again, when considering these situations, you have to first think like a business. You keep looking at these situations only from your own player perspective. The trick is to get the masses to play, not just a handful of people who think like you, or have the same gaming experience that you do. Though, this is not the best area to explain successful business concepts and models.

6. There is not much left to this dead horse....

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:13 AM »

1. You blowing up player stations to "educate" them that it's a bad idea to set up in 0,0 because chances are that someone is going to come by and blow up their stations is kinda ironic. Don't you think? How about sending them a message and say "Hey, I've noticed that your trying to set up at such and such location. Let me tell you why this is a bad idea so that you don't lose what you spent a few weeks playing and investing in? You can try to justify your actions as performing good intentions but the bottom line is, there are better ways of helping new players than destroying their hard work.

2. "you have noob fighting that will discourage some people from continuing"  Still not seeing how I used that statement wrong. This statement has no reference to speaking about just new players. If you put the entire population into one spot, that means the entire population of "noobs" will be in one concentrated in one spot, probably making an expansion game such as this nearly unplayable. You stand corrected.

3. I know people end up not liking these types of game mechanics and move on early. But, there are others that enjoy these types of games, but feel it's pointless if everyone who plays is fighting over the same square. Plus, if you have everyone in the same spot all racing to the same SOS and COM missions, when it takes a few hours to reach them, and a ton of resources (relatively speaking when considering the income you make in the beginning), and constantly having it taken before you get there, people will decide "what's the point" and move on.

4. I know my idea doesn't fit the story line, thus my title "About to ruin the story line".

5. I know its possible to grow in these situations, but that doesn't mean you need to force the situation to begin with if you can make a better opportunity for more people to grow. Once again, when considering these situations, you have to first think like a business. You keep looking at these situations only from your own player perspective. The trick is to get the masses to play, not just a handful of people who think like you, or have the same gaming experience that you do. Though, this is not the best area to explain successful business concepts and models.

6. There is not much left to this dead horse....

1. Just telling them doesn't always work. Believe me I have done that.  Some still set up in Sol even after telling them.

2.  Say newb and noob then if you are referring to both since both newbies and noobs are likely to be doing some fighting there.

3. This is why newbies shouldn't be doing SOS and COMs.  They need to focus on transports and use one of their ships as a science ship. If they do that then they will be able to move further out from Sol. Maybe set up some mines further out or go further out and do SOS and COM missions.  People stealing COM missions doesn't happen as often as it does with SOS.  Though SOS is better for a newbie with a good cargo ship then COMs are now.

4. My ideas I posted would make it so there is no need to ruin the story.

5. You can't also make things too easy either for people. When things become too newb and noob friendly, it tends to kind of ruin things for the other players. The idea I had for newbie protection, removing inactives and making Sol a safe area is about the best solution. Your idea while it has merit, would create more areas that will become hotbeds of pirate activities. Pirates would be able to operate in other areas out in the galaxy. Meaning newbies will have it hard in pretty much every starting area.  Besides this game is no where near big enough to really call for new starting areas just yet. Not to mention he would have to make a tutorial for each one.  It is a possible idea for the future though when the galaxy becomes much larger.  By that point I hope to set up in an area far away and not have to come back to Sol much. lol
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »

I just don't see the need for you challenge everything. I can understand a difference in opinions and other peoples thoughts about ideas. But challenging every idea with "I succeeded just fine the way it is now" is a very narrow minded argument.  When developing a game like this, you not only have to look at the game mechancis, but you also have to look at a long term success model. The most important aspect being, what is the playability of the game if there are 100 players, 1000 players, 10,000 players, and more. If in the beginning, you feel that the way the game is developing it can not sustain a large playing audience, than you need to start early with design concepts that will eventually lead to a larger population. Perhaps it's keeping a limited number of players in the universe, and create new universes each time the population maxes out, or to keep one universe and building it on a larger level. You need to know the minimum number of active players you need to make the game economically successful, and build it with that many players in mind. This is what I see.

In the end, it is up to Emi, but in beta you must have an arena of ideas. I see what I think are weaknesses to the games overall success and I throw out new concepts. If people are joining, and not sticking with it, then there are obviously things that are discouraging them from staying. Yes, I know my suggestions are a lot of work, and mean major changes. I'm not saying that they will work, but they are things to consider. Sometimes new games need to make it easy in the beginning to get people hooked, sometimes not. I still have not ventured out of 0,0. I don't know what the universe is like out there, what people do to expand and make solars. I'll cross that barrier when I get there. I'm enjoying this concept so far. It's different than some of the other games I've played though I haven't played many spaced based story lines. I've donated my money to help, as I do with other games I've enjoyed, and will continue to do so as long as I see the environment improving and growing.

You are very persistent about this noob/newb thing. Does this REALLY effect your life that much?

Anyways....I'm done with this discussion. I know that no matter what anyone says, you'll always be right. No point in me dragging this on any further...

Arctic
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »

I do have some ideas that will enable the game to grow, while also keeping with the storyline.

Astro Galaxy is a space exploration game, that means stars and star charts will change, new stars will be discovered and colonized etc. The Sol Corporation definitely has the intention to colonize space just as much as the volunteer captains.

The story evolves so there may be other colonized systems with shipyard / fleet maintenance in the future that you could start in. It may even be possible to start out with a completely different alien race. I also want to keep an open game, so each radical change like a change in race will have a way out, like a mutagen that will mutate your crew and ships into insectoid if you complete a special mission. Also a special mission with an antidote, if you want to revert to human race again. Races would have bonuses / penalties etc.

At some point after graduating the SEA you will be presented with offers to join a mining expedition or help the SOL Corporation open up a new station outpost. Everything you do affects the outcome. You maybe want to join the pirates and prevent the colonization or station from being constructed. You may need to bring your ships in and attack / defend that area. All this will have you going to unknown sectors in search for special rewards. This continuous chance will involve captains and will provide for an interesting adventure.

Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »

Fantastic. That's what I like to hear. I know there is no point with the current player population to already start in other sectors and such, but as the game does grow, it would be awesome to have more options in how you would fit into the story line and the expansion of the galaxies.

Arctic
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »

Excellent post SirEmi, I agree 100% with you. Keep up the good work.
AdultGamer
Private

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:56 PM »

JamJulLison
I created this account specifically to respond to your Postings within this Topic Thread.

I am looking at ASTRO GALAXY because I am interested in Outerspace Exploration Game Systems that isn't centered around Combat.

Actually, I am being Sidetracked from my Searching for the "Space Exploration Online" Website; which, I had visited when I had an AOL E-mail Account back in the 1990s.
- - - - -
?You (an Experienced Player) are attacking Newbie Player Bases in a "Tutorial/Newbie Zone" to "educate" Newbies about what? -- ?Not to Build Bases In The Newbie Zone; and, Not to Build Base Defenses in the Newbie Zone?

?Why? -- ?Because this game is about Building Bases outside of Quadrant 0,0?

!!! EXCUSE ME !!!
?How am I as a Newbie Player with no Bases in Quadrant 0,0 going to Research & Develop New Technologies, or acquire Wealth Thru Trading; which, are needed for being able to Build Bases outside of Quadrant 0,0?

It is precisely because of your Gameplay Strategy & Tactics that the Original Poster has made the suggestion of creating Multiple Starting Points because YOU (JamJulLison) are preventing Newbie Players like the Original Poster, and Future Newbie Players like myself, from being able to enjoy this Game System; because, you are denying us Newbie Players our Right to establish ourselves within this Game System Universe as per this Game System Concept.

Your account should be terminated.
- - - - -
Actually, I did learn something about the term "Newb" and "Noob".

My RUNESCAPE Accounts were being called Noobs; because, they were Level 20-; and, were 3 or 4 years old.  Actually, I had like 11 RUNESCAPE Accounts and switched between them; and, I mostly engaged in Gathering Dropped Items instead of engaging in Combat; so, none of my RUNESCAPE Account really developed very fast.
- - - - -
Here is my list of Game Systems played (relevant to this Topic Thread)...
GALACTIC EMPIRES II DREAD LORDS  (Offline PC Game)
WAR OF LEGENDS  (Online Game System)
GOLEMIZER  (Online Game System)
EXORACE  (Online Game System--I recently quit playing it; because, of JamJulLison style of Gameplay by Experienced & Powerful Players)

I played GALACTIC EMPIRES II DREAD LORDS with a Huge Galaxy; and, with 8 or 9 (forget the maximum number) NPC Empires.  Sometimes, I got wiped out near the start of the game.  Sometimes, I became the Dominant Empire near the start of the game.  Sometimes, I didn't get wiped out, or become a Dominant Empire, near the start of the game.  In those games that I didn't get wiped out quickly, the gameplay would last for a month or more; and, sometimes ended with me the victor; and, sometimes an NPC was the victor.

WAR OF LEGENDS and EXORACE have Newbie Protection; which, is a good Game System Mechanic for allowing Newbie Players a chance to develop
enough to fend themselves against Established Players.  However, Gameplay Victory is dependent upon the Newbie Player joining a Powerful Alliance as soon as possible; as well as, becoming a P2P Player.  Lone Wolf Newbie F2P Players like myself don't have a chance against Established & Powerful P2P Players like JamJulLison.

GOLEMIZER does utilize a Newbie Zone.  However, the GOLEMIZER Newbie Zone is filled with Abandoned Houses that are owned by Active & Experienced Players.  When I joined GOLEMIZER, I couldn't find a place to Drop my First House in the Newbie Zone.  GOLEMIZER is also filled with Abandoned Cities (City Mayors who no longer play GOLEMIZER).  I have an Abandoned City in GOLEMIZER.  My Abandoned GOLEMIZER City "Sparrow City" is the site of my First House Drop; and, serves as my Primary Base Site (Mining, Item Storage, Item & Golem Creation, Store, Avatar's Home) in GOLEMIZER.

"Abandoned Bases in Quadrant 0,0" and "Overpopulation Of Bases in Quadrant 0,0" won't be solved within ASTRO EMPIRES by an Experienced Player like JamJulLison attacking Active Newbie Player Bases in Quadrant 0,0.  Acquiring Technology & Resources takes alot of time, without the Newbie Players' Quadrant 0,0 Bases being repeatedly destroyed by Experienced Players like JamJulLison.  In fact, Experienced Players like JamJulLison who repeatedly attack Newbie Player Bases in Quadrant 0,0 WILL FORCE Newbie Players to QUIT THE GAME; because, the Newbie Players can't get anything done within a reasonable time period.

I refuse to play EXORACE for this very reason; and, EXORACE has a Universe that Resets every few months.  I played in two consecutive ERXORACE Universes.  My First EXORACE Universe was joined near the Midpoint between Universe Resets.  My Second EXORACE Universe was joined on Day 1 of the Universe Reset; and, was played till the Universe Doomsday.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:56:39 PM by AdultGamer » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 12:47:16 AM »

JamJulLison
I created this account specifically to respond to your Postings within this Topic Thread.

I am looking at ASTRO GALAXY because I am interested in Outerspace Exploration Game Systems that isn't centered around Combat.

Actually, I am being Sidetracked from my Searching for the "Space Exploration Online" Website; which, I had visited when I had an AOL E-mail Account back in the 1990s.
- - - - -
?You (an Experienced Player) are attacking Newbie Player Bases in a "Tutorial/Newbie Zone" to "educate" Newbies about what? -- ?Not to Build Bases In The Newbie Zone; and, Not to Build Base Defenses in the Newbie Zone?

?Why? -- ?Because this game is about Building Bases outside of Quadrant 0,0?

!!! EXCUSE ME !!!
?How am I as a Newbie Player with no Bases in Quadrant 0,0 going to Research & Develop New Technologies, or acquire Wealth Thru Trading; which, are needed for being able to Build Bases outside of Quadrant 0,0?

It is precisely because of your Gameplay Strategy & Tactics that the Original Poster has made the suggestion of creating Multiple Starting Points because YOU (JamJulLison) are preventing Newbie Players like the Original Poster, and Future Newbie Players like myself, from being able to enjoy this Game System; because, you are denying us Newbie Players our Right to establish ourselves within this Game System Universe as per this Game System Concept.

Your account should be terminated.
- - - - -
Actually, I did learn something about the term "Newb" and "Noob".

My RUNESCAPE Accounts were being called Noobs; because, they were Level 20-; and, were 3 or 4 years old.  Actually, I had like 11 RUNESCAPE Accounts and switched between them; and, I mostly engaged in Gathering Dropped Items instead of engaging in Combat; so, none of my RUNESCAPE Account really developed very fast.
- - - - -
Here is my list of Game Systems played (relevant to this Topic Thread)...
GALACTIC EMPIRES II DREAD LORDS  (Offline PC Game)
WAR OF LEGENDS  (Online Game System)
GOLEMIZER  (Online Game System)
EXORACE  (Online Game System--I recently quit playing it; because, of JamJulLison style of Gameplay by Experienced & Powerful Players)

I played GALACTIC EMPIRES II DREAD LORDS with a Huge Galaxy; and, with 8 or 9 (forget the maximum number) NPC Empires.  Sometimes, I got wiped out near the start of the game.  Sometimes, I became the Dominant Empire near the start of the game.  Sometimes, I didn't get wiped out, or become a Dominant Empire, near the start of the game.  In those games that I didn't get wiped out quickly, the gameplay would last for a month or more; and, sometimes ended with me the victor; and, sometimes an NPC was the victor.

WAR OF LEGENDS and EXORACE have Newbie Protection; which, is a good Game System Mechanic for allowing Newbie Players a chance to develop
enough to fend themselves against Established Players.  However, Gameplay Victory is dependent upon the Newbie Player joining a Powerful Alliance as soon as possible; as well as, becoming a P2P Player.  Lone Wolf Newbie F2P Players like myself don't have a chance against Established & Powerful P2P Players like JamJulLison.

GOLEMIZER does utilize a Newbie Zone.  However, the GOLEMIZER Newbie Zone is filled with Abandoned Houses that are owned by Active & Experienced Players.  When I joined GOLEMIZER, I couldn't find a place to Drop my First House in the Newbie Zone.  GOLEMIZER is also filled with Abandoned Cities (City Mayors who no longer play GOLEMIZER).  I have an Abandoned City in GOLEMIZER.  My Abandoned GOLEMIZER City "Sparrow City" is the site of my First House Drop; and, serves as my Primary Base Site (Mining, Item Storage, Item & Golem Creation, Store, Avatar's Home) in GOLEMIZER.

"Abandoned Bases in Quadrant 0,0" and "Overpopulation Of Bases in Quadrant 0,0" won't be solved within ASTRO EMPIRES by an Experienced Player like JamJulLison attacking Active Newbie Player Bases in Quadrant 0,0.  Acquiring Technology & Resources takes alot of time, without the Newbie Players' Quadrant 0,0 Bases being repeatedly destroyed by Experienced Players like JamJulLison.  In fact, Experienced Players like JamJulLison who repeatedly attack Newbie Player Bases in Quadrant 0,0 WILL FORCE Newbie Players to QUIT THE GAME; because, the Newbie Players can't get anything done within a reasonable time period.

I refuse to play EXORACE for this very reason; and, EXORACE has a Universe that Resets every few months.  I played in two consecutive ERXORACE Universes.  My First EXORACE Universe was joined near the Midpoint between Universe Resets.  My Second EXORACE Universe was joined on Day 1 of the Universe Reset; and, was played till the Universe Doomsday.

So you created an account to give me a response in a very old thread. Let me point out a few things that have happened since this posting.

1. Arctic is now a member of PMI.

2. My corp PMI decided to pass a rule within the corp to not raid in sol.

3. PMI tries not to go around randomly blowing things up.

4. PMI along with NHC and IMG have formed a galactic council to try to help and protect newbies better.

As for my comments back then.  It is still the same. The galaxy is still currently small. Multiple Starting points at this time are not needed. Perhaps when the galaxy becomes a lot bigger then yes it might be needed.  As for disagreeing with my methods of trying to teach newer players not to mine/harvest in 0,0. That is your opinion.  Fact of the matter is I don't raid that much anymore.  Another fact, there are other people in the game besides those in PMI that raid in 0,0. There are some who even raid in the 1st ring as well and even in Sol itself. Now we do what we can about Sol but there is only so much we can do to stop others from doing it.  Since it is hard to completely stop it, the next best thing we can do is recommend to people if they want to mine/harvest that they need to move further out.  In PMI we help our members do just that.  IMG from what I hear actually goes a step further sometimes and helps people relocate if they want.  But there are still some people who will continue to try mining there and end up destined to become farms.

As for all the games you played. Honestly who cares.  Good for you that you know the terminologys. Also good for you that you had a bunch of runescape accounts you never amounted to much with.  For the record I only had 2 accounts there. One I barely did anything with. The other I rose to a pretty decent level in before quitting.  I also made it into the high scores for Mining and Smithing and completed every single free player quest there was at the time. Hell I fought moss giants without any weapons or armor and killed them with ease. I actually made gold off someone who betted I couldn't do it.  But that game nor any other has to do with astro. Astro is a different animal. The only game I can even think of that comes close to similarity is Ogame and honestly in Ogame it is a lot easier to actually hit someone or at least find them. I personally prefer this game these days. It is still in the early stages. Not even a year old but it already shows great promise.  Now there is one comment in particular of yours I do want to address.

enough to fend themselves against Established Players.  However, Gameplay Victory is dependent upon the Newbie Player joining a Powerful Alliance as soon as possible; as well as, becoming a P2P Player.  Lone Wolf Newbie F2P Players like myself don't have a chance against Established & Powerful P2P Players like JamJulLison.

Let me compare Astro to that.

Astro has a newbie protection. It actually was expanded. Now it last until either a. you graduate.  b. you reach 20,000 points.  c. you attack another player.  d. your account becomes 30 days old.

Now this is actually pretty nice for them and is fair. But even once out there there they still have a fair chance.  Say a bigger players wants to raid one of their mines.  In order to do so and not have a high attack time I must use a low powered ship.  While some of my things may be more advanced, if they got a ship nearby it wouldn't be hard at all for them to get reinforcements there that could have a higher power then my ship.  This is provided they are online of course.  Now say I wanted to blow them up with one of my big ships. I am looking at a long attack timer. Example being our biggest corp ships has 5,294,854 power. Pretty strong. But say I wanted to attack someone weak with it.  Just for looting alone I am looking at about a 24 hour attack timer. 48 for blowing it up.  The higher the power of the ships/planets/stations involved in the attack the higher the attack time. Meaning it gives them more time to get in get their stuff out if need be.  Even if I was using a ship around 100k power i am still looking at a decent attack time. Not near worth it for raiding purposes. 

So you see you can't say when I go to raiding it isn't the big vs the little. My ship i use for it isn't much stronger then anything they got. It's the only way for low timers.  But you see larger players though actually don't raid that much just cause it isn't as profitable as SOS and COMs. Most of the people who go around pirating or sometimes blowing up stuff are actually lower ranked players themselves. These are the real threats to people in 0,0 too. Especially considering many such as one we just added to the GC KOS list actually like to blow up things instead of just looting.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: