Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 16, 2024, 04:30:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ships / Carriers / Docking  (Read 27771 times)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »

Better get the probes done then if we are going to have a war with an alien race.  Otherwise they may be able to find us but we sure as hell are likely to have a hard time finding them.  lol.  Though I got a feeling you will do things differently with them so it won't be like a normal war.
Report to moderator   Logged
Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »

Yesterday I started the building of 12 high level marines to adapt my ships to the new reality of the COM missions. I required about 250000 metal and gaz to do it. And it is only 12 manufacturing bays. I have about 100 active manufacturing bays right now.

This is to say that with the number of active players actually in the universe, I beilive we are not numerous enough to satisfy my needs only in metal and gaz (not to mention all our needs). I also buy diamonds and uranium by the 1000's to be converted as fuel so my ships can do COM missions for a few weeks without comming back to earth. In my opinion, I do not beilive the proposed economic system would work. Let start with a market for exanging modules and ships and we will see how it work then we can think of how to expand it.

Your Correct, the current player base under a real supply and demand economy couldnt easily fill YOUR CURRENT requirements.... but, that just means that under a supply and demand economy you wouldnt have been able to advance so rapidly. I should also like to point out that under the current system your style of play, is THE ONLY viable option if you want to stay competitive in terms of power. Explorers, Miners, Pirates, PvP's, Freighters, Traders all have no chance of keeping up with some one focusing exclusivly on COM signals. It essentially turns the game into 'I WIN'* for them.

However if there was a supply and demand economy, then those doing the mining, or trading would have been on the down stream recieving end of a lot of COM Signal hunters income, and would be a lot closer in power to them, thus better able to fullfill the resource needs...  That is why introducing a supply and demand economy would require a reset, because the demand and the ability to supply it are now so far out of sync the game would spasm horribly if it was introduced.

Unfortunatly the game seems to have a Multiple Personality Disorder. It taunts players with mining, manufacture, exploration, station building, trading etc... but then Nerfs them all in favour of COM signal hunting as the only option to actually play the game competitively which you have to do because the game is also PvP. My point is if thats all the game is meant to be, then why bother with all the other stuff in the first place? Get rid of it and focus on making a really great space bassed 'NPC pirate hunting' game.... However, I think that would waste a lot of the effort that has allready gone into those aspects, and its probably not what EMI had in mind with the game either.

So the upshot is that without a reset the only way to make those other carriers viable is with the introduction of storyline or alternative missions for them that offer a similar level of risk/reward over time, that the current COM signals give.. mining contract quests, exploration quests, etc...

But i cant help think how much richer the game play would be if players had to interact, had to work together, had multiple equally rewarding carrier paths etc...

There will be a story to everything that happens, for example Earth may have an event like a short supply of X mineral / gas. Then it will buy at premium prices for a while, mobilizing the miners.

Also new outposts my appear, selling cheaper minerals / gases mined on the surface, they may even take some parts of the economy from Earth meaning that to get that X mineral, you need to travel to that X star / planet that is mining it for Sol. Bringing it to Earth may also fetch a nice price while you're at it, as Earth will buy but not sell that.

All that makes for interesting news and twists, as things happen and everyone can take advantage of that to find profit opportunities. New stations / shipyards may appear as SOL Corp tries to colonize further, and events will unfold, even a war with an alien civilization could happen 1

That all sounds nice Emi. unfortunately, however, I suspect that basic implimentations of these will not offer similar levels of risk/reward over time as the COM signals do, simply because the way that COM signals get more and more rewarding bassed on your ship power levels.... a similar mechanic would need to be introduced... mining missions that get more and more rewarding bassed on you ability to mine. Freight missions that get better bassed on your ability to carry cargo..... if you do introduce these please keep that in mind and if i might make the suggestion actually run a few simulations....

There is also the issue of the massive power differences between those that have chosen to COM hunt and those that have tried their hands at something else... the COM hunters will be able to switch to those new missions if they like and be already significantly better at them than none COM Hunters.... but even so at least having alternatives to COM hunting would be good....

* watch kids, they love this game, especially while the struggle to learn that virtually all games are actually more fun if everyone has more or less equal chances to win.
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »

Scion, I think you are missing the point completely. I explain:

You see me as the bad player, the big player. Man, not long ago, I was the underdog, my number is around 460. I did manage to move up the ladder because I am an active player first, second I have studied the game to find where was "the most bang for the buck" and found an answer. It is not the COM missions as you think, I am quite new to COM missions, it is high tech. I have built a spreadsheet to simulate all weapons, shields, armor at any MK level for their cost and power... and find the best combination.

What I have dicover is that there is steps in the game. 1- complete training; 2- do in system missions to buid your first SOS ship; 3-Use it to build more small cheap SOS ships (FTL + WD + CARGO this is all); research new tech for cargo and engines at the start and have a ship full of MK1 research lab; 4- when you have 4-6 low cost SOS ships running around in the galaxy, you use the huge profit you make to build your first COM or I prefer to call those warship with the High MK components you have found gives "the most bang for the buck". This is how I managed to get where I am now. Now I am waiting on the new special missions.

Then, the key to my success is a mix of hard work and cunning, not COM missions.

As for exchange between players, I have an active corp that have fun building their corp ships and exchanging a lot.

Do the same and come join use at the top ;). Play to win!!!! And I hope you will have fun in the process.
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »

4- when you have 4-6 low cost SOS ships running around in the galaxy, you use the huge profit you make to build your first COM or I prefer to call those warship with the High MK components you have found gives "the most bang for the buck". This is how I managed to get where I am now. Now I am waiting on the new special missions.

up until the recent update to allow unlimited number of vessels to a pilot, you could only get 4-6 ships as a VIP. i know you forget that Matamaure, cause you and I have been V.I.P. for so long now. A Player only gets to play with 3 vessels max. Well used to. It was very limiting to them.

I have just noticed this subject is carriers, so not sure why the thread went to economy. Happy to discuss the economy on an economy thread. A proper working economy will not hurt new players or old. All the calls for a reset of server and equalisation is unnecessary. Plus will upset those who have put so much time and effort and cash into where they are now

Dadds, [IMG]

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »

up until the recent update to allow unlimited number of vessels to a pilot, you could only get 4-6 ships as a VIP. i know you forget that Matamaure, cause you and I have been V.I.P. for so long now. A Player only gets to play with 3 vessels max. Well used to. It was very limiting to them.

Actually as a VIP you had no limit at all.  Also Matamaure has been getting VIP longer then I have lol.   I am glad though about the recent change allowing unlimited to all pilots.  I suggested that months ago. Glad to see it is finally changed to that.  Now if he will just lift those limits on stations. lol
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »

The hangars are nearly complete, posting some screenshots of how it works.

Doing a few more tests but it's looking very good 1

Update coming soon.

* ship_hangar.jpg (114.07 KB, 798x709 - viewed 653 times.)

* ships_hangar.jpg (70.85 KB, 788x315 - viewed 629 times.)

Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »

@ Sir Emi: Question regarding Cargo Optimization vs New Hangar Bay. Will this optimization bonus also apply to the new Hangar module (when) now it is released since it is a cargo science?

Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »

@ Sir Emi: Question regarding Cargo Optimization vs New Hangar Bay. Will this optimization bonus also apply to the new Hangar module (when) now it is released since it is a cargo science?

Yeah the mothership optimization looks like this now in the SOL Shipyard:

MotherShip: +75% hangar bay, +75% cargo bay, -25% navigation time

Freighter and other cargo bay optimizations will not affect the hangar bay, only mothership optimization.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:01:29 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 04:24:45 PM »

ok thanks for info. Running a few tests now with  cargo packaging, ship hull size etc. I keep getting that "Doctor Who" Theme song running through my head for some reason lol. An installed large cargo module of say, ohhhhh pick a number say, MK XLIX takes up 3900m of my hangar space, but if i was to install a MK V adv cargo onto a ship, and drop my MK XLIX into it, my cargo presence for hangar is only 600m bulk. Gotta love nano-technology for condensing stuff!
I personally think that,  empty cargo space not be counted in the overall hangar space, but the amount of cargo that vessel is carrying when trying to dock. Its effectively what you are trying to say anyway, that if a ship can carry "X" amount of cargo, then its cargo needs to be in the equation. What this formula does, is assume you are always carrying max cargo.  Counting the module as an installed module works fine for me still. As you can see i can get around having empty cargo space anyway, but its just a little more annoying to keep dropping mods in and out to do so, to make a docked/undocked ship again useful or functional

Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: