Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 06:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Star maps, navigation computer revamp  (Read 14305 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »

In game Pledge system project definition. To be updated prior to adding it to ingame project list.

PROJECT: Star maps, navigation computer, 2500 QP min, 24 days
    - navigation computer remembers star navigation data (stars, black holes, wormholes)
    - star map will show owned assets (planet,station,ship positions in space) and any corp / enemy assets that was discovered.
    - can view star map based on navigation data, with information of how old is each quadrant data.
    - stars that go supernova are reported and marked by the nav computer, as information comes in from the news feed. A distant supernova in unexplored space will appear as a bright explosion icon on the the star map, with option to plot a course for it.
    - system planetary information is remembered if the system was explored by a ship.
    - nav computer can show distances between objects on the star map, to offer perspective on long voyages.
    - VIP nav computer: Can remember a set course to a distant destination by chaining jumps. Once a jump is completed, a new course is set towards the distant object up to the max jump range or to object if in range. Also add option for VIP to tick on auto-jump when timer completes, and chain auto-jumps to destination.
   - Zoom in and out, multiple / single quadrant view, Galaxy view

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:30:14 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »

Now this nice addition to the game. Thanks
Report to moderator   Logged
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »

That's a huge benefit for VIP as well.  That'd be a great development emi!
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »

This project is great!

I have 3 suggestions:

1. A hyperjump option: select a star from the navcomp and arrive instantly using QPs (instead of using QPs every single jump).

2. Remove the limit of the nav comp in displaying the explored stars when ordering stars by the distance (currently displays stars within 100 LY only, except Sol).

3. To promote exploration, maybe set up a small reward for players who explored all the stars in the galaxy. 1
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:50:06 AM »

About what Raph said, maybe there could be a sol repository of information about stars.

Explorers would gather infomation about systems
. how many planets?
. How big are they?
. What is the quality of the deposits?
. Note, I wouldn't give information about who is in orbit to sol.  This'd give pirates way too much information with no effort :p

With wormholes and black holes there could be similar information about what is there; whether there are aliens, or a portal to a new system.

Captains can report this back to SOL for a reward, and players can either view this vague information, or perhaps make it a paid system, where sol will give you tips about a good mining colony if you give them some solars.
sauron
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:31:35 AM »

I'm already drooling...  wow
sauron
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:33:12 AM »

oh yes, please add this one:
can see your other ships on the map in the same quadrant...
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:22 AM »

oh yes, please add this one:
can see your other ships on the map in the same quadrant...

Yeah you should be able to browse the map and see what areas you explored, where your ships and facilities are, where you should explore next and get a perspective view...

Added
  - Zoom in and out, multiple / single quadrant view, Galaxy view
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:30:03 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

JoolzVern
Sergeant

Nobody ever listens to Tim the wizard...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »

The auto-jump feature is something I've been wanting for a while and I'm glad to see it's on the to-do list.

My only concern is that perhaps if you add too many of these awesome projects to the pledge system at once and none of them will reach the target for a while because we can't all agree that one is best and get behind one.

But I'm sure Raph and Mata along with a few of the other top players will probably be able to ensure that SirEmi is always busy.

offnow.org <-Stop the NSSA's subversion of your security
Prism-Break.org <-Ways to secure your data as much as possible
EFF.org <-Electronic Frontier Foundation
Stopkillerrobots.org <-Stop autonomous drones designed to hunt people
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »

JoolzVern: I have donated only 200 QP, I know someone has donated more than 10 times what I have donated and I am not speaking of Ralph. Me and Ralph are not the only contributors by far and it is OK like that. It is my intention to continue donating QPs but we need to remember that we can buy QPs with something other than solars. To date, me and Ralph are not the biggest donators to my knoledge.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »

My only concern is that perhaps if you add too many of these awesome projects to the pledge system at once and none of them will reach the target for a while because we can't all agree that one is best and get behind one.

That's ok, you shouldn't be concerned about that. What we'll do is make a detailed list on the forum / define the projects and add a few at a time, 5 or so, in the game, then when those are done add a few more and define some more. So at most you'll have 5-8 in progress to choose from in game.

sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »

That's ok, you shouldn't be concerned about that. What we'll do is make a detailed list on the forum / define the projects and add a few at a time, 5 or so, in the game, then when those are done add a few more and define some more. So at most you'll have 5-8 in progress to choose from in game.

Indeed, do not be concerned.  The Empire has funded all projects so far, and I do not see funding being withheld for any future projects (according to the priorities voted upon by the citizens of the Sargasian Empire).
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

This project is great!

I have 3 suggestions:

1. A hyperjump option: select a star from the navcomp and arrive instantly using QPs (instead of using QPs every single jump).

2. Remove the limit of the nav comp in displaying the explored stars when ordering stars by the distance (currently displays stars within 100 LY only, except Sol).

3. To promote exploration, maybe set up a small reward for players who explored all the stars in the galaxy. 1

my only suggestion to these 3 items are:

1.  The ability to set a course to any star you have knowledge of by setting the course and letting the ship jump and jump and jump (ad infinitum) with a percentage of possible dangers that will increase per jump.

2.  By using the 'Star Map', you should be able to display your known sectors (for those of you who don't understand my 'dialect', sector means the same as quadrant) by (for example) start at Sol, click North to the next 'known' sector, then if you have explored the next sector (which north would be 0,2), and if you have explored the ring positions you could click either N, NW, NE, S, E, W. SW, or SE, and so on...

3.  I, for one do not want to draw that kind of attention to my 'intelligence files'.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:21:40 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

"Star maps & Navigation" project added to in-game pledge system.

sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

funded
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: