Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 05:59:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: MAU  (Read 56288 times)
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »

Let's not put the wheelcart before the horse please.

All that is only speculations at one exception: I will not accept that any one attack me or anyone of my corp. The teeth are there lol
Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »

Ralph said: "Not true for me. I will attack and destroy everyone if it's implemented. BWAHAHAHAHA!"

I would do exactly the same. Why, like in all other games where you can kill the ennemy ships, it is the only way to be safe, to stay on top, to eliminate the competition, to prevent other to become big. I want to win, then I take the means to acheive it.

These words are not speculation. It is what you said. 
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »

"if it's implemented" if this is not speculation then I do not know what is speculation lol
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »

You were saying if it was added in you would do that.  That isn't speculation. Now if you had said "I might think about doing that myself", then that is speculation. It's one thing to consider all options and possibilities. It is another to outright say you would do something if something was added in.  Speculation leaves an uncertainty. What you said leaves an utmost certainty that you would do it if added in.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 10:41:23 PM »

Speculating vs. Foreshadowing

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »

And as an off topic question; does the number of "Active Captains" listed on the Top Ranking tab actually reflect the number of captains that have logged in within a certain amount of time? Or is it just every single player with an account? lol
Probably a question for Sir Emi.
As for the original subject, what were we talking about again? lol

Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »

I think it was about marines being able to capture ships...

JoolzVern
Sergeant

Nobody ever listens to Tim the wizard...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 11:49:46 PM »

I still think the right implementation could give everyone else a balanced chance at capturing their ships as well, even if they're basically maxed out on everything and you're not. Of course even if it's just pirate ships I think we should be able to capture- but maybe we have to sell them if we don't have a license and maybe need a hangar big enough to transport them to auction.

However, I don't think marines could achieve this blance. If we capture ships based solely off combat stats clearly the big players will dominate, so it has to be around a separate 'equation'.  Like maybe a flat chance(like the 'regeneration rate' of minerals) coupled/governed with certain variables/stats and capped limits on how much those stats affect that chance.

So, if say Raph were to attack a ship, and has a 10% chance to take a ship, that's ok I think so long as everyone has a similar/fair chance when they attack him- even if he should be able to beat them in combat. He'd still get a lot of ships and maybe maintain superiority and keep growing, but other active players could do the same and even take his ships so I think rather than making it likely he would dominate, I think it would just as much offer others more opportunity to challenge his position.

This is why I suggested that this be done through combat speed and a tractor beam, where if you got caught in the beam you couldn't attack and not only lose, but *could* get your ship captured.

Then it would only be a matter of balancing odds where the tractor beam could still have a fair shot at holding Raph even with super combat speed while still having your combat speed reduce your risk of losing to his tractor beam while never offering full immunity to anyone and the tractor beam never guaranteeing a capture.

Notice that this way, while Raph might still get a lot of ships from players, Mata, or even a fairly weak player could manage to attack with 1:9999999 odds(assuming they could get past the timer lol) and capture Raph's biggest and best ship with his 10% chance of capture and Raph's 20% resistance from combat speed reducing it to 8%.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:00:50 AM by JoolzVern » Report to moderator   Logged

offnow.org <-Stop the NSSA's subversion of your security
Prism-Break.org <-Ways to secure your data as much as possible
EFF.org <-Electronic Frontier Foundation
Stopkillerrobots.org <-Stop autonomous drones designed to hunt people
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »

this thread has nothing to do with 'ship capture'...

go back and re-read it...
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »

JoolzVern: Let say I build a very cheap ship that cost me 2 millions to build and I use it to attack the biggest ship Ralph has, let say a titan that has cost Ralph 350 millions. If I follow your suggestion you say that I would have a chance to capture Ralph ship. For me it is completely unfair and illogical. You say "If we capture ships based solely off combat stats clearly the big players will dominate". This is exactly that, us big players we dominate. You want to beat us, no problem, work hard and become a big player too. Do not try to give power to smaller player that will render the game unfair to big players.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2014, 12:30:54 AM »

what he said...
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »

Sorry Sargas, I guess it was about capturing planetary modules

JoolzVern
Sergeant

Nobody ever listens to Tim the wizard...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »

If I follow your suggestion you say that I would have a chance to capture Ralph ship. For me it is completely unfair and illogical. ... Do not try to give power to smaller player that will render the game unfair to big players.

lol Yeah like a 8% chance of you losing your ship is going to make it unfair. Boo hoo.

It's absurd to say the idea that big players being able lose ships is unfair or illogical when you and everybody else has that same power. It wouuld be unfair only if imbalanced in favor of small players.

Seems to me you're not afraid it will be unfair to big players, but that you'd lose the unfair advantage you have now. You want to be invincible to most players and call that fair because you built yourself up. I think that no matter what you should be able to lose, and lose actual stuff even if only a small chance.

Big players would still have a fair chance to remain that way while having a small chance at losing unlike now where a powerful enough ship is practically invincible against a smaller player.

If you were to really attack a player like me, there's zero chance your engines will die, crew will bail, or anything that could let me win. Not even a 1 in 100 chance. If don't think adding a single digit chance to lose makes it unfair for you just because you worked so hard to be unstoppable. I think letting you remain practically 100% unstoppable is unfair.

And yes the thread was about capturing modules but lisunken brought up ship capture and I agree it should be implemented even if only against pirates.

offnow.org <-Stop the NSSA's subversion of your security
Prism-Break.org <-Ways to secure your data as much as possible
EFF.org <-Electronic Frontier Foundation
Stopkillerrobots.org <-Stop autonomous drones designed to hunt people
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »

JoolzVern said: "Seems to me you're not afraid it will be unfair to big players, but that you'd lose the unfair advantage you have now."

This is the point, my advantage is not unfair. I worked hard for it and you can have the same advantage if you work hard. And do not come and tell me it is not possible to move ahead of me, Ralph has done it, You have no excuses.

What is unfair is having a module that took 4 months and millions to build and having a newbie come and capture it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:49:10 PM by Matamaure001 » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »

JoolzVern: Seems to me you're not afraid it will be unfair to big players, but that you'd lose the unfair advantage you have now.

This is the point, my advantage is not unfair. I worked hard for it and you can have the same advantage if you work hard. And do not come and tell me it is not possible to move ahead of me, Ralph has done it, You have no excuses.

What it unfair is having a module that took 4 months and millions to build and having a newbie come and capture it.

This is why I think a chance of a ship being destroyed is fair.   Module theft should not be an option. Your marines are marines. They aren't technicians who rip just take apart modules and move them. Especially in the middle of combat on an enemy vessel.  It isn't like looting some kind of cargo bay. After the mission, you need to take what you need quickly and then get out of there. 

The best 2 options on this subject would be the following.

A. Ship Destruction.  A low chance of a ship being destroyed. Say 1 percent.  This have safety overrides increase the chance of a ship being destroyed. The Auto Jump feature is there to minimize the chances of ship being destroyed. Story wise that is where it is there.  It even jumps you to a safe zone. If your overriding that feature on a ship to fight longer, you should be increasing the chance of losing your ship.

B. Module Damage and Destruction  It always seemed odd to me that we can lose people but the modules themselves are never damaged. Well unless you count armor. The more you fight without your shields up and no armor, the more damage that should be actually done to the ship itself.  So lots of people can just die, but the modules instantly are repaired?  Can't really believe this story wise cause on the off chance they got awesome super nanobots that instantly repairing the ship to quick, that it isn't capable of doing the same for the armor.  Module's should be able to be damaged. Possibly it is possible to repair them as we do armor.  With safety overrides since you can fight longer, it should be made that the higher the damage you take without shields, especially with high MK ones, the greater the damage to your ships modules.  Of course we keep the crew loss as it is. 

Both of these ideas would finally give ship vs ship combat a real purpose.  You could also apply some of the changes to stations and planets.  I can't see a station not taking some module damage from a looting. Though the amount of damage would likely be low.  Like it would be on a ship without safety overrides.  Though for the bigger players, our damage if likely to be quite a bit higher just cause of our stronger weapons.  Even higher odds of 100 percent damage to some modules.  This of course will completely destroy it making it impossible to repair. Now I know this makes it hard on a smaller player if a bigger player hits them.  But most of us aren't going to waste time on them.  Nor will we waste QP to actually be able to hit them with larger MK stuff.   Either we might let the timer count down at a COM that we try to hit them at or we use smaller ships with much lower power to hit them.  Usually with tech, or at least power set on the tech to be at their own levels. So even with that method they shouldn't be taking more actual damage then they would at their level anyways. At their level none are using super overrides, or likely will anyways, so the damage they are taking should be easily repaired.   Taking around 1 to 3 percent at most to some modules.And prob not a lot getting damaged.  Also the chances for damage to some modules should be higher. Such as weapons and shields more likely to take actual damage. Also there should be something to figure out where about the ship was actually hit.  Maybe it shows us in the battle the area hit. So depending on where it is hit, there is a higher chance of damage in those ares if it is hit while the shields are down.  Maybe even us options on each of our weapons that we can choose to set if we want it to concentrate on certain part of the ship or spread out the shots.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: