Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 27, 2024, 07:50:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Long Range Courses  (Read 16360 times)
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »

One more slight issue with this.  It needs to be made that when you set a new course using Navigation or Nav computer that the long range course set on the star chart is erased.  This was not the case on one of my ships. I set a simple course back to Sol and set it on auto pilot. The ship was near sol and I wanted it to jump while I was offline. I didn't realize it still had a course set to the wormhole that leads to the giant star cluster. This is a location it had automaticly had set when I was having that one bug before and carried over from another ship.  So my ship followed that itself and ran out of fuel partway there.  This was pretty annoying.

OK, here is what I see that might have happened:

You had a chain jump set up and wanted to explore another location and then wanted the auto-pilot to jump you there (the new location) when you were offline. It did just that.  And since you were off-line (sleeping, etc.) and not setting another task for the ship, auto-pilot re-engaged (while you were offline) to finish the jump criteria in your computer.  You need to set the 'long-jump' chain to the new target and then go offline. If you are on-line, it doesn't matter (you can adjust the ship movement manually).

It's kinda a case of 'paying attention to where you sent your ships'.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:09:19 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:59 AM »

One more slight issue with this.  It needs to be made that when you set a new course using Navigation or Nav computer that the long range course set on the star chart is erased.  This was not the case on one of my ships. I set a simple course back to Sol and set it on auto pilot. The ship was near sol and I wanted it to jump while I was offline. I didn't realize it still had a course set to the wormhole that leads to the giant star cluster. This is a location it had automaticly had set when I was having that one bug before and carried over from another ship.  So my ship followed that itself and ran out of fuel partway there.  This was pretty annoying.

OK, here is what I see that might have happened:

You had a chain jump set up and wanted to explore another location and then wanted the auto-pilot to jump you there (the new location) when you were offline. It did just that.  And since you were off-line (sleeping, etc.) and not setting another task for the ship, auto-pilot re-engaged (while you were offline) to finish the jump criteria in your computer.  You need to set the 'long-jump' chain to the new target and then go offline. If you are on-line, it doesn't matter (you can adjust the ship movement manually).

It's kinda a case of 'paying attention to where you sent your ships'.

In this case I didn't set the course for that ship.  Remember before when it was bugging out and auto setting courses that your other ship had set with the star map?  I forgot it still had that one even locked in.  I think we should at least have some sort of option to enable us to overwrite the star maps course. Just in case someone is forgetful like me.
Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »

I understand what you are saying now.

Maybe a yes/no button that will pop up (like the 'Do You Really Want To Change Course' prompt) saying 'do you wish to disengage the auto-pilot'.
lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »

more like a cancel button.  laugh and let redo the way point.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56:51 PM »

Maybe a yes/no button that will pop up (like the 'Do You Really Want To Change Course' prompt) saying 'do you wish to disengage the auto-pilot'.

There is already the "Change Course Warning" option in the nav screen. It could be something like that where you toggle if the autopilot follows the LR course or the manually set short-range one

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »

There is already the "Change Course Warning" option in the nav screen. It could be something like that where you toggle if the autopilot follows the LR course or the manually set short-range one

I really like that idea.  I see no reason for this to not be possible.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: