Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 23, 2024, 08:05:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: hi am new here.  (Read 10626 times)
dazz
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:44:44 AM »

17 all,

i joined up last friday and graduated yesterday. so far i'm rather liking this game. i think it's a really brilliant concept. i do have some questions though.

firstly, apart from using qp, which i want to store obviously for when i really need it, can i use research to cut down on travel times? obviously it's a balancing act when it comes to ships and what you put in each slot. i know that the more engines you have you can cut down on the travel time that way, am just wondering if there's another way round this. otherwise it's going to take for ever to get anywhere. not that i mind that so much am more wanting to just work out what i can expect and plan accordingly.

secondly, can you only take missions from earth? are there other systems that offer missions?

third, ho big currantly is this universe? does it expand as more players come to the game?

fourth, any tips/tricks/advice would be appreciated.

take care all.
Report to moderator   Logged
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

ƒuck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:40:16 AM »

You can build science labs and use the research points to unlock higher level engines. They take you to your destination much quicker.

The galaxy has two main clusters of stars. One from Q-4,-4 to Q4,4 (basically 4 quadrants in all directions from Sol), and a recently discovered cluster some 30 quadrants North East. You get there through wormholes.

Missions can be taken from Earth only.

Best advice: join a corp. You'll have lots of people to talk to and give you advice. Obviously, I believe my own corp, SPQNR, is the finest in the galaxy. You're very welcome to join us. 1

I hesitate to say we offer free mk XXX FTL and WHG, because I don't want it to sound like a bribe.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »

please keep you recruitment tactics to the appropriate thread (other wise I would invite the pilot to join the EoS).

Back to Topic:

There are a great lot of advise located here in the forums.

Stock up on as much fuel and medicine you can and start investigating the SOS missions you will find on your Navigation screen. (they should bring in more money than just ferrying people in SOL system.

And, continue to ask questions, you will receive lots of help.

Also, look for independent (not SOL) fuel stations. You will be able to save 5 solars per m3 on fuel.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:57:55 AM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »

Raptor has answer all your questions. His corp is not the only one to give away modules. We have a corp supply & manufacturing ship. Over time I have build weapons, shields, cargo bays, FTL, WHG... for our members. Others have place there modules they do not use anymore. All those module are to be used by all our members. Some players want to do everything by themself and do not use those modules and it is OK other take what they need. We also have our own board where you will find tips and tricks and you can always count on our help where needed.

You are welcome to join our corp.

And before I forget, welcome to the game, I wish you lots of fun.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »

please keep you recruitment tactics to the appropriate thread (other wise I would invite the pilot to join the EoS).

Sorry. Wasn't really a recruiting attempt. We do those through PMs. And New Rome has sweeter talkers than myself for that. laugh

The suggestion to join *a* corp is a serious and genuine answer to his question on advice though. You can't learn any quicker than by being around a lot of active players.

I'd like to go on record by saying I've no doubt EoS is as good a place as any to enjoy that experience.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »

Anyone else graduated in 72 hours flat btw?   wow
Took me 3 weeks, not 3 days  yawn
dazz
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »

17 all,

thanks so much for the welcome. nice to see that this game is active. i think i'm going to enjoy it here.

Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »

There are other missions, AKA those SOS and COM bubbles floating in space. When your drives and cargo bays are large enough for you to go faster and hold more fuel, you can make a lot of money on SOS missions. And when you eventually have the money to make shields and weapons, those COM bubbles pay you well to eradicate pirates.

For now, I think an under-appreciated way for new players to make money is Sol Commodity Stations. These are found randomly (one per system) in orbit around planets and moons of systems immediately closest to Sol (aka Tau Ceti, Sirius, Alpha Centauri, etc). They will buy medicine, electronics, and fuel at a significantly higher price than you pay for them in Earth orbit. So if you find one, and you want to be a trader, you can make good money buying electronics at Sol and selling them at Sol Commodity Stations. They also sell fuel cheap. Be warned, though, *certain* players like to blow them up, so make sure you find one before you spend money on goods, because not all systems always have one (there is a time period between when they are blown up and when they respawn).

Ultimately, I think a lot of players find the early game VERY tedious. Joining a powerful Corp can really help you skip past the most boring (IMO) phase of the game. Matamaure is right, too, in saying that many Corps offer free modules. My advice to you isn't to pick a Corp based on free stuff, but on the community, and how you think you'd fit in. Best way to figure that out is by reading around the forum... which you should have plenty of time to do, because right now all your jumps probably take 10 hours  laugh

Welcome to AG, dazz!

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »

Welcome to the game Dazz 1
I noticed your player number is quite old. What's up with that (If you don't mind me asking..)?

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

There are other missions, AKA those SOS and COM bubbles floating in space. When your drives and cargo bays are large enough for you to go faster and hold more fuel, you can make a lot of money on SOS missions. And when you eventually have the money to make shields and weapons, those COM bubbles pay you well to eradicate pirates.

For now, I think an under-appreciated way for new players to make money is Sol Commodity Stations. These are found randomly (one per system) in orbit around planets and moons of systems immediately closest to Sol (aka Tau Ceti, Sirius, Alpha Centauri, etc). They will buy medicine, electronics, and fuel at a significantly higher price than you pay for them in Earth orbit. So if you find one, and you want to be a trader, you can make good money buying electronics at Sol and selling them at Sol Commodity Stations. They also sell fuel cheap. Be warned, though, *certain*  ( naughty ) players like to blow them up, so make sure you find one before you spend money on goods, because not all systems always have one (there is a time period between when they are blown up and when they respawn).

Ultimately, I think a lot of players find the early game VERY tedious. Joining a powerful Corp can really help you skip past the most boring (IMO) phase of the game. Matamaure is right, too, in saying that many Corps offer free modules. My advice to you isn't to pick a Corp based on free stuff, but on the community, and how you think you'd fit in. Best way to figure that out is by reading around the forum... which you should have plenty of time to do, because right now all your jumps probably take 10 hours  laugh

Welcome to AG, dazz!

raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »

does it expand as more players come to the game?
It doesn't. It will only expand through updates.

And welcome to the game, dazz! 1

Anyone else graduated in 72 hours flat btw?   wow
Took me 3 weeks, not 3 days  yawn

Took me less than 3 days, and I started raiding (and thus invalidated my newbie protection) as soon as I got hold of weapons.  devil

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »

Welcome to the game. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. It looks like everyone beat me to replying back to you to answer them. lol.  I do want to add that TGE is a great corp to join. I don't offer bribes to people to join us, but I do try to make sure all of our people get a corp COM ship to use. A new member may not get it right away but they will eventually get one when it is ready. Also we have 2 corp science ships which we rotate among our members so everyone can get in some good research.  Also all our members are getting a great christmas present from me.  I won't say what it is because I don't want to ruin the surprise but it is something pretty good. A have the presents being made now actually. I built a larger amount to try to account for newer members we may get before then. It wouldn't be fair if they got left out.
Dragonfly
Lance Corporal

Eternal Wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

I know Im a bit late in here, but ... ;)
Welcome to the AG and to the Syndicate, Dazz  13

dazz
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »

17 guys and thanks for the welcome.

to answer a question asked by i cannot remember, my name is quite old because i joined the game a few months ago. am actually blind but at the time the game wasn't as accessible to play as it is now. thus part of the reason why there have been numerous patches and updates. the developer has been kindly making the game compatible with text to speech screen readers so blind persons like myself can play this game.

yes i am now part of sss.

thanks again for the welcome everybody. yes i do like this game.
builder2004
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »

Hello everybody!!!
I am also noobie here, finished SEA course now, have 2 ships... And from here my 1 question - How to change better equipment from 1 ship to another? (better cargo bays and laser)
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: