Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 01:42:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A proper how-to/newbie guide  (Read 5632 times)
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:55:07 AM »

Credits to Martok for this idea..

There is a SEA Course which serves as a tutorial, but I suggest somebody make a proper guide on the game so that those SEA graduates can still refer to the guide when they have questions or forget what they've learnt? Wonder if anybody can spare a little time to write a guide?

Either that, or...

Make a page where you can review the SEA Course notes, or make the SEA Course shorter.

A lot of players find it boring to study game tutorials in the beginning of the game. There are two people in my corporation who stop playing right in the middle of the SEA Course. Maybe you could give a 'skip' option to the SEA Course and allow them to refer to the notes when they really need to learn?

LOL, just a small suggestion. Don't laugh.  1

Report to moderator   Logged

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

Ć’uck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:08:10 AM »

Going through the academy is crucial to getting an early understanding of the game.
Anyone who can't bring the required attention span to the table, is destined to quit anyway.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »

It's a tough act. I started last year, but in hindsight, I'm already a longtime player by comparison to someone new. I think for players who've played more than a few months it's hard to relate to someone completely new. While I do think some of us are more trendy with a game like this, one which is very spreadsheet-like and technical, far from a smooth and rolling glitzy rollercoaster-ride in disneyland, I also think it's a dangerous road to follow where one does not evolve or strive to improve on what they have. To pretend even for a moment the game is perfect in one of its parts must be the trait of the proverbial slide to extinction many things in our world undergo. And yet I'd be oversimplifying games if I didn't also say making a game better is partly dependent on who the game is being made for. Who's Astro Galaxy being made for? Moreso, how can it improve what it has and still entertain and humour that audience for years to come?

This reflects how I approach games, and how I approached it when I started playing the first time:
http://forum.astro-galaxy.com/index.php/topic,8783.msg73039.html#msg73039

I started playing July 21 2014. The post above was made August 7 2014.

How does a player who likes a game avoid being arrogant or condescending to players who don't? Or how do gamers who feel differently about how a game should improve meet and find common ground?

I've been that arrogant player many times: cold, intolerable, resistant to change... Here's the ting I'm trying to say: A game can always be improved, but because of disagreements and differences, people don't cooperate, or maybe more often than not, those who can't cooperate leave. I'll tell you, it's not fun to be the one leaves. When leaving becomes frequent then you know you have a problem with people which is prohibiting finding common ground.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:30:27 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »

I've been wanting to do something along these lines with video tutorials and all that jazz I just have a hard time finding time to do it now happy
Hopefully when spring or summer break rolls around I can get some work done but I am hardly the most qualified individual for the task 1

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:04 PM »

I've been thinking about something in those lines as well.
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »

I have done a small one for our corp members, but the game has changed so much and we have so big players now with so fast ships that I do not know if it is appropriate anymore.

Maybe that newbie guide could be a collective effort. I could post what I have done as a start and anybody could modify it based on its experience. We could discuss the best ways for newbies to start in the game. I know the way I did it but what about you all...
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »

I was actually thinking of starting a Wiki for Astro Galaxy, but I'll need a few volunteers to build the content...

Need to add the SEA steps with images and more detailed instructions on how to complete the steps.

Also links to more comprehensive pages about how mining works, signals, events and the battle system, ships and optimizations, stations, planetary etc.

Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »

Too bad im probably gonna mess up if I do those. Because I think the wiki should have the exact calculations of stuff etc and I dont really have the rresources or experience to do those happy

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »

I've handled wiki pages for a few games actually, but I don't really have much time for that right now. Still if you started it SirEmi I'm sure we would all pitch in and get it completed over time. I guess once your new interface update is done would be a good time to start it since we wouldn't want to post outdated images and what not.

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: