Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 02:36:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 750 of us?  (Read 7688 times)
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2015, 07:09:17 PM »

***If a new dud(e) with 0 experience and a head full of questions irritates y'all -- lo siento.  In my defense, I'm tryin' to learn all/most/some/ANY of what I need to ta launch my own shop.  I'm not in a hurry and firmly believe that we learn from others.  I've got a BUNCH  o'questions.***

This isn't really a question.  It's more of an observation and I'll be (insert expletive of your choice here) if I can figure out why there aren't more active Forum folks.  Lord knows, the material is complex enough.  The 'Leader' board shows a few more than 750 active skippers out there.  Are you ALL more on-the-ball than me?  Am I the dunce in the corner?  Some of you folks have run into stuff I haven't, some have questions that haven't even occurred to me, a bunch of y'all have stood in my shoes and successfully gotten beyond.

How'd ya do it?  What don't y'all know that you'd like to...should, even?  What do you folks know/think/believe that will keep me and some other shiny new newbs from tearin' out their hair by the handful?
Report to moderator   Logged
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »

That 750 number is the biggest lie in the game. I don't know how AG figure out who is *active* and who isn't, but I guarantee you there aren't even 300 people flying around at any given time.

My suggestion to you; go to the friends list tab and search SOL in the box. You'll see all of the average joes of the game and you can notice how quickly the power ratings drop to rookie ranks. There are tons of players who have been on for YEARS but who sit with one ship and 30-10k power just mining the same little moon or running colonists to planets in Sol. So you are an exceptional player IMO. You are taking the initiative and getting to know the game better than 80+% of the players out there.

I'd say there are no more than 75 unregistered forum users who ACTUALLY read the forums from time to time.

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:42:07 PM »

Yikes!  And I really thought that the 750 was a 'red-alert' event. 

(I can see ya shakin' your head, "Is this whacko gonna ask ANOTHER question?")   wounded1

Is a small community of actives in a big universe a bad thing?  How would YOU capitalize on this if you were just outta SEA school?  Have all the inactives been cleared out or is there a reasonable profit to be made hunting  those for new SEA stuff grads?  Is there another way to exploit this without bein' vaporized?   3

RoadRunner
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »

They cannot vaporize ya if they cannot find ya  laugh
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »

I'm a big advocate of ruthless newbie growth. 1

Always search a player's name and corp in the friends list tab to see how much heat they're packing and if it would be a mistake to hit 'em. In my opinion, any [SOL] or corp-less player who still has modules and stations still in sector (0,0) after the newbie protection has run out is fair game for other new players to take advantage of.

Of course, if you want to be a nice guy you can always message the owner to see if they are still active. If you don't get a response in a couple of days you have your answer!

I like this game as a small community. Sir Emi does not do enough to support it to make it viable for more players (at least not now). If I had to compete with more people for all the good missions I would grow at half my current rate and would probably get much more bored.

HOWEVER... I would like to see a lot more corp competition and meaningful sorts of military developments. I want there to be more mid-level players to compete and grow with each other and to make their own corps that specialize, bicker, and make the game more interesting.

Capitalize on it by making friends and networking

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 12:34:25 AM »

Rostin, I agree with you 100%. If there was more active players, the resources would be too limited. Already, lots and lots of planets are full of modules. Most of the large planets are taken. Today, 3 times in a row I arrived at a mission and the mission has been taken by an other captain. And we are not numerous active captains! We continue to grow but are waiting for SirEmi to bring us new challenges.
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:06:54 AM »

Yeah, I agree too, with too many captains the game's gonna be really messy. Imagine there were 100 active corps and the forums would have thousands of posts a day, you can't keep track unless you're a hardcore player. So there'll be little wars here and there, suddenly big wars start to heat up and you're not sure how to deal with all of them at once.

But at least that'll bring a little more PvP to the game. People will have to fight for mining and orbital slots.

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 02:37:57 AM »

As for the 755 members, they also include newly-registered players who only just signed up to the game, or who log on once a week or month or something like that. If you talk about really active players, I'm guessing only about 300?

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »

Then of them people are people like myself that only log in like once a day and barely do anything.  I used to be really active.  But things in the game became so stale.  Many have begun to get bored and quit.  It is a common problem with this game.  We have had new updates recently but it isn't enough to keep some of us active.  Then add in the reduced pay of COMs with added difficulty even those aren't as worth keeping active to do.   The only thing that keeps my logging in at all is my corp. 
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

That 750 number is the biggest lie in the game. I don't know how AG figure out who is *active* and who isn't, but I guarantee you there aren't even 300 people flying around at any given time.

My suggestion to you; go to the friends list tab and search SOL in the box. You'll see all of the average joes of the game and you can notice how quickly the power ratings drop to rookie ranks. There are tons of players who have been on for YEARS but who sit with one ship and 30-10k power just mining the same little moon or running colonists to planets in Sol. So you are an exceptional player IMO. You are taking the initiative and getting to know the game better than 80+% of the players out there.

I'd say there are no more than 75 unregistered forum users who ACTUALLY read the forums from time to time.

Research shows the vast majority of new players in any MMO do not remain after a few months and most leave in the first few minutes. So the fact the vast majority are leaving is nothing new. What the game has going against it is the fact it needs people to know about it and second it probably needs a vast upgrade to its look and gameplay to garner the kind of numbers you're wanting. Honestly, I probably wouldn't even be playing this game if it was popular. I'm not like that.

I've been a new player since 2014. I can say I've seen probably <25 people come in and stay for a while and then leave SOL. The rest just seem to lose interest. There're probably several times more who do that instead of sticking around.

I've also seen a lot of new players asking questions about the tutorial. It could use some work probably.

I think the biggest shot in the arm is just keeping development going. This game can always use content to help fill in the dull moments. Needs context. Much of what goes on in the game doesn't feel like hte rest of the universe is involved. No races. No cultures. The universe feels disconnected. Yet even little changes can make a big impression if they're on the mark The right button in the right place in the UI can mean the difference between frustration and smooth sailing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:37:09 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »

Then of them people are people like myself that only log in like once a day and barely do anything.  I used to be really active.  But things in the game became so stale.  Many have begun to get bored and quit.  It is a common problem with this game.  We have had new updates recently but it isn't enough to keep some of us active.  Then add in the reduced pay of COMs with added difficulty even those aren't as worth keeping active to do.   The only thing that keeps my logging in at all is my corp.  

Hmm I find the thing which keeps me logging in is maintaining manufacturing lists and my stations and so on. In many ways this is true in other MMO's. I also play Wurm Online and maintaining property can be a big reason why someone logs in.

I'm still in SOL corp.

I used to play Everquest several years ago and the main reason I logged in were my guild mates. I'd stay away for several months and would always then go to eqplayers.com and look if they were playing. Then I'd come back to meet them again. When I was playing actively the treadmill got me, of course. Like many, I get addicted to climbing the ladder. Yet when I think of Everquest it's not the levels I got or hte gear I got which stands out, it's the people I met! Sure it felt great to complete epics. I loved getting that bow off Meldrath the Malignant. My 1.5 felt good. But even those things were centered around lots of other players and my memories are filled with interactions I had with them. The guilds are hard to forget.

Here's that bow:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=73506

That was on very solid guild of players. Most of them military veterans. I got burnt out on their schedule. But let me say, they left quite the impression on me. Of course, nothing can beat the guild which came with me to that server. Love them. They couldn't beat a raid wit help, but were masters at grouping and being longtime friends and would take a punch for you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:00:00 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: