Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 06:53:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Tips  (Read 24156 times)
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »

As of now, a WHD only registers what is coming into it's range. If it is deployed on a ship, you can order a scan at any time, but it will only tell you a wormhole is either forthcoming, present, or closing. it does not tell you who is opening the 'ole.

If it is deployed on a station however, it will only perform a 'static' scan and not a deep scan.

But either way, you will only know that a wormhole is about to open, is open, or has closed.

(edit because - giggle)
A WHD on a station will only perform a static scan?

What's a static scan and what's a deep scan? You got me confused :0

(And how do I use it if it's on a station? I can't figure out how to do it.)
Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »

If one of my stations is attacked and defeated, will all the modules on it be destroyed? Will the station be destroyed too? I'm asking this question because in pirate COM missions the station "explodes in a ball of fire". Do player stations do that too?

Was just thinking player ships do not "explode in a ball of fire" when defeated. They auto-jump to a safe point, suffering casualties. But as far as I know, they do not lose any modules.

If the whole thing is destroyed then it doesn't make a lot of sense to put too many modules on them, given modules take so long to make and can be expensive. I'd have to think some of my future strategies if they can be completely lost.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:57:05 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »

Oh, yes. Player stations explode just as nicely as do NPC stations. All that can remain is salvage that belongs to the victor.

NPC ships do not 'explode in a ball of fire' either, they also are emergency jumped the same way a players ship can be forced from the battlefield.

Always treat modules on a station the same way you treat modules on a planetary surface. They are vulnerable.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:34:28 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

Ć’uck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 04:25:47 AM »

Always treat modules on a station the same way you treat modules on a planetary surface.

As bait  12
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »

Oh, yes. Player stations explode just as nicely as do NPC stations. All that can remain is salvage that belongs to the victor.

NPC ships do not 'explode in a ball of fire' either, they also are emergency jumped the same way a players ship can be forced from the battlefield.

Always treat modules on a station the same way you treat modules on a planetary surface. They are vulnerable.

Ahh. Significantly effects my plans for building stations.

Too expensive to lose a station, imho.

They're cheaper module space, but they can't move and everything is lost. So what's the usefulness? The cheapness is meaningless since most of the cost and manufacturing time is in the modules.

They might still be useful as a means to store cargo remotely. For ~$1,046,000 solars you get 82 * 100 = 8200 m3. But idk. Setting aside some ships for teh same role would mean you won't lose them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:43:58 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »

and the ships are not available for other duties. unfortunately, that is a problem for SOL members. the retaliation from a corporation is usually enough to make an attack on your property too costly.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »

Is it possible to trade with other players? For example, what if I wnat to selll a module to another player, how would I go about this? Or maybe i want to give a module to another player for free; if a more generous mood strikes.

Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »

usiness between players is conducted in a strange way. Let me tell you why first before I tell you how.

1) We can't directly send modules/solars/ships/resources over to other players.

So how do we conduct business?

Players have devised a smart trick in order to sell modules. First of all, due to the lack of the ability to send solars to one another, we send each other Quantum Points instead, because solars can be converted into QP at a 1 QP: 250,000 solars ratio, while QP can be converted back into solars at a 1QP: 50,000 solars ratio. Most players don't convert QPs back into solars because they would rather save up to buy VIP.

So, the trick is:

1) The two players meet up at an agreed star.
2) If the player wishes to give modules, he will place a station in the orbit of the star and put the desired module in the cargo bay of the station. No defenses.
3) The player receiving the module will then attack the station in Loot mode, and the cargo in the station will be captured and the station's cargo bay's content transported into the attacker ship's cargo, thus he will have the module in his ship's cargo bay. Done. The module has been transferred.

As for ships, its extremely difficult and unnecessary, but if you join a corporation, the corporation can assign you Corp Ships which you can use for personal gain, or simply for them to transfer modules over to you in an easier way (they will install modules in the ship and then once you get the ship you move the installed modules to the cargo bay, then use Transfer To Owned Ship button to transfer the modules to one of your ships that is at the same spot).

That's all I know. Resource-transfer is rather difficult as some resources may be destroyed in the attack, so most people don't trade resources. After all, resources can be traded in Earth so why go through all the trouble exchanging resources?

This may sound confusing right now, but once you've immersed yourself in the game and own a fleet of ships, you will understand better. ;) Sorry I took such a long time to write this, the last time I had a player-to-player transaction was a few months ago, I had to make sure I didn't mess up and provide wrong information.

(I took this from something I wrote to a new player some time ago).

[Edited]

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:50:12 AM by Madden » Report to moderator   Logged

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »

usiness between players is conducted in a strange way. Let me tell you why first before I tell you how.

Players have devised a smart trick in order to sell modules. First of all, due to the lack of the ability to send solars to one another, we send each other Quantum Points instead, because solars can be converted into QP at a 1 QP: 250,000 solars ratio, while QP can be converted back into solars at a 1QP: 50,000 solars ratio. Most players don't convert QPs back into solars because they would rather save up to buy VIP.

So, the trick is:

2) If the player wishes to give modules, he will place a station in the orbit of the star and put the desired module in the cargo bay of the station. No defenses.
3) The player receiving the module will then attack the station in Capture mode, and the cargo in the station will be captured and the station's cargo bay's content transported into the attacker ship's cargo, thus he will have the module in his ship's cargo bay. Done. The module has been transferred.

As for ships, its extremely difficult and unnecessary, but if you join a corporation, the corporation can assign you Corp Ships which you can use for personal gain, or simply for them to transfer modules over to you in an easier way (they will install modules in the ship and then once you get the ship you move the installed modules to the cargo bay, then use Transfer To Owned Ship button to transfer the modules to one of your ships that is at the same spot).

That's all I know. Resource-transfer is rather difficult as some resources may be destroyed in the attack, so most people don't trade resources. After all, resources can be traded in Earth so why go through all the trouble exchanging resources?

This may sound confusing right now, but once you've immersed yourself in the game and own a fleet of ships, you will understand better. ;) Sorry I took such a long time to write this, the last time I had a player-to-player transaction was a few months ago, I had to make sure I didn't mess up and provide wrong information.

NO DO NOT DO IT IN CAPTURE MODE...

That risks destroying the loot.

You need to do a looting attack on the station

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »

So, the trick is:

3) The player receiving the module will then attack the station in Loot mode, and the cargo in the station will be captured and the station's cargo bay's content transported into the attacker ship's cargo, thus he will have the module in his ship's cargo bay. Done. The module has been transferred.

[Edited]

no defenses does not mean just on the station, remove your ship(s) as well. hopefully economics (trade) will be incorporated into the game soon.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »

Thanks! Is that in the FAQ or is it tagged somewhere in the forum? I'd think the absence of a genuine trading mechanism would be worth putting in FAQ or tagging. But anyway, at least trading is possible even if we have to jump through hoops.

I'd think mudflation in this game would be insane with widespread trading, since there're no restrictions on modules and unless they're on a station/planet won't be destroyed. You know a lot of games have level requirements on items, so a low level cannot use a high level item. And some use a no drop mechanic, whereby an item initially is tradeable but once equipped is no drop.

Maybe hte lack of a trading mechanism is because of mudlfation worries or something tied to it. And also gold/etc farming. But the presence of methods to trade means the worries are not extreme, since if they were no trading would be possible.

It's stragne. All MMO's I've played have economy/trading between players. This game doesn't have that. I mean, as shown above, trading is possible, but it's not something which is obvious or intuitive. It's like a single player simplistic economy. Earth is the only seller/buyer which matters. Prices don't change. What Earth wants is scattered in the cosmos--I must hunt it down. Much of my fun comes from juggling combat/sos missions and mining operations while trying to progress cost effectively. But the real heart of what's fun is doing lots of different things--not just a couple--even if it's less profitable. For example, some players say it's more profitable to just do sos/com, but I find doing mining as well keeps things more entertaining.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:05:14 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 05:11:55 AM »

Yeah, I think we should just make an easier way to trade...after all, we already found a loophole and the difference between adding a trading feature and not adding a trading feature is that not adding a trading feature makes trading take a lot more time and coordination. So, something for the Astro Galaxy SDK to work on!

As for your worries about mudflation, I think it is not a problem because social interaction is meant to be an integral part of this game, and so if you somehow manage to get some OP modules through trade, it's probably because you made some friends or joined a powerful corporation.

BTW I was just reminded about something...let us set our own station's selling prices. ;)

sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

...let us set our own station's selling prices.... )

Yes let us do that. We have been forced into the mandated economic system by an apathetic SOL Corporation.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

Yeah, I think we should just make an easier way to trade...after all, we already found a loophole and the difference between adding a trading feature and not adding a trading feature is that not adding a trading feature makes trading take a lot more time and coordination. So, something for the Astro Galaxy SDK to work on!

As for your worries about mudflation, I think it is not a problem because social interaction is meant to be an integral part of this game, and so if you somehow manage to get some OP modules through trade, it's probably because you made some friends or joined a powerful corporation.

BTW I was just reminded about something...let us set our own station's selling prices. ;)
Your argument that mudflation doesn't matter because trading is a social interaction and is integral to the game can be used for any instance of mudflation which stems from trading in any MMO--therefore, seems hollow to me.

I'll start by posting this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudflation

Note this part of it:
Final Fantasy XI reversed its inflationary trend by cracking down on gold farmers that were involved in real economy interaction. After many months of stability, trading prices began rising quickly, with the cost of most items doubling or tripling around the end of 2005. With many players complaining about their decreased buying power due to the inflation, the game operators decided to eliminate hundreds of such players. Without a reliable source of in-game currency, internet sellers of currency had to raise their prices. Also, a great deal of currency was removed from circulation in this process. Within one or two months, most trading prices fell back to their previous equilibrium.
The reason the prices were inflating was because farmers were selling currency, greatly increasing the amount of it in circulation and also giving extra buying power to currency buyers, leading to higher prices for things, since the value of currency was decreasing. For a new player who did not buy currency, this meant excessively high prices for things.

That's just one small example which shows how mudflation can lead to a negative experience if unchecked.

Players in this game continually become more powerful. They acquire more currency and more combat power and research. Modules do not have level limits or no drop attributes, so module power can move around from one player to another. The only limiting factor is trading is more cumbersome in this game and research can't be traded. If trade is much easier then it follows that the increasing module power and solar buildup will crossover to other players more easily. Players who do not trade will increasingly become weaker. Players who cannot adapt to the increased power quickly enough will also be weaker. And if anyone starts to sell their modules for RL money then the cat is fully out of the bag and you're screwed if you don't spend RL money.

Any content added to the game which is made specifically for certain power ratings or certian solar amounts will become increasingly obsolete. So generally it's wiser to make content which scales to all power ratings and solar amounts. If this game were single player then this effect would only occur due to the player progressing forward and obsoleting previous content. In an MMO setting, the content becomes obsolete before the player has even progressed past it, sometimes dramatically.

While I think better trading would be nice, I do not characterize mudflation as being irrelevant to the health of Astro Galaxy. From what I've seen of this game, it's very furtile ground for mudlfation if given the proper allowances.

EDIT: Sorry I'm not saying you're fully wrong. Your "social interaction" comment is relevant. Trading is a social interaction. And many of hte missions in this game scale with the player's power, so it won't obsolete as easily. But I've had so many negative expeirences in the past with mudlfation it's hard for me to be non-prejudiced about this.

For me it's about preserving the sense of progression and not breaking the links a player has created with the game too often. As long as mudflation can integrate well enough with those things then it should be fine. Mudlfation is probably impossible to completely eliminate anyway. Virtually every MMO I know of has mudlfated and nobody has been able to stop it. And old content/things tend to lose value no matter what because they become outdated. And yet I think the goal shouldn't be to throw your hands down and let mudflation spread like fire, but to moderate it with respect to the two things I stated above.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:41:43 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »

Ok, what if I suggested this:

Make the game free-to-play, put a stop to QP and instead players are only "encouraged" to donate. Instead of getting QP, all that Donors will get is a special color to their name. Yeah, I know, no more QP, means no more VIP status, no more Officers, but what if you got VIP and Officers for solars instead (at a much cheaper rate than buying QP with solars and then buying VIP/Officers)

These are the kind of games that have been the most popular (and most successful) from what I've seen so far. For example, Star Wars Combine has been in existence since the 1990s and there was nothing you could buy using real money. You only had this optional donation to the game. In some way, you do get a benefit in the sense that your donation will keep the game alive for another week, but it's a shared benefit. People who didn't pay still get to enjoy the game. Yet, people STILL donate to the game, because they like the game and most of the dedicated players there are already working men, what would thirty euros do to their wallet anyway?

Although SWC did not offer any special name-coloring benefit, I think it would be good in Astro Galaxy because if a player is really dedicated, he/she will want his/her name have a special color because it's a chance to show off, and also easier to make friends and stuff.

I know, SirEmi, you will be taking a giant risk, but if it works as planned, it will be a giant step forward for this game to boom.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: