Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 19, 2024, 03:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What if...(Ye Godz! HUSH!!)  (Read 9407 times)
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »

ALRIGHT!  Ok.  I've got it.  "Ya goofy newb-o-nauts should be restricted from postin' in this thread."

HAH!  But nobody did that and here comes another 'know-nuthin' upsetting the apple cart.

I'd still like the feedback from y'all (Be gentle. I'm pretty sensitive.).

I'm looking at how likely it is for new players to hang around. 

NOTE:  Nope.  I can't code. 

New Player:  It takes soooo long to do stuff.   Yeah, it's s'posed to represent time investment.  But, if y'all want newbs to hang out a bit, maybe you could make the transition times 10% of what they are now.  I think it's just one line of code, plugged in wherever timer results are, right?

New Player:  I can't open a Truck Stop and set my own prices!?  Not all of us are political (which appears to be the thrust of the game, so far).  Hey!  Ain't that a single line of code, too?  ***COMMAND>...SELL ORDER <set price>***  Opens the door to a new profession, i.e., 'Merchant'.

What would you folks that actually HAVE experience recommend?  Surely, bein' a big fish in a small pond has to rub your scales some, huh?

At the end o'the day, SirEmi gets a larger (and potentially more profitable) game base from retaining new visitors, the various Corporations get a recruiting pool of active folks and we all have someone else to shoot at.  What's not to like?
Report to moderator   Logged
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »

New Player:  It takes soooo long to do stuff.   Yeah, it's s'posed to represent time investment.  But, if y'all want newbs to hang out a bit, maybe you could make the transition times 10% of what they are now.  I think it's just one line of code, plugged in wherever timer results are, right?

If, like you suggest, the game was 10 times faster, it does mean I would make 10 times more money because my missions would last 1/10 of the time. I would have time to do 10 times more. It is not only a line of code to change, it is the complete balance of the game that would change completely.
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »

Matamure brings out a valid point - new player vs The-Powers-That-Be.   But, in this regard, the only effect on newbs is that it currently takes waaaay more time than needed to convince a newb he/she/it has a long way to go and becoming competitive is a tough row to Person who sells themself for money.

And, we know it.  Bottom line:  I ain't gonna catch ya, Amigo.

Knowin' that, what bones can a newb chew on while dreaming delusions of Cosmic Grandeur?  And do they want to spend the time to chew on'em?  .

The issue of 'time' in various events and endeavors is not uncommon throughout the Forum posts.  It's pretty clearly not an alien notion.  Consider  that a 'smoke-signal' and share some o'your own?  What changes the game positively for us and makes it sticky as hell to a newb?
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:50:14 PM »

Having more ships helps immensely 1 scouting and exploring can take up a TON of time if you get into it enough

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:10:32 AM »

The inclusion of AP will probably help a bit.

Honestly though, this game is practically a really slow text based idle game, 99% of this game is just waiting for timers to finish so we can actually do something. As Rostin said having more ships does help in the sense that while you are waiting for one timer to finish you can do something with another ship however that is a double edged sword in that eventually you end up having to manage like 20-30 different timers and at higher levels of power those timers take days or even weeks to finish. That is pretty much what kills PvP in this game. (Though for me it's only one of two reasons why PvP is pointless)

Speeding things up would change the balance of the game considerably, I just think it's not the best way to go about changing that balance. Ultimately it's going to take awhile for anything to get done, people should know what they are in for in that regard. I didn't really have a problem as a noob with waiting for stuff to happen, that gave me time to read up on how the game works and figure out how I wanted to do things and what order I wanted to do them in.

I would really like to see more variety in the early game, some things that actually engage you more instead of going back and forth between planets/systems on missons being your only reliable source of income. I mean that gets old after a few hours and yet if you are like me and are determined to do things on your own for awhile then that is what you have to do for weeks or even months in order to get decent modules and/or ships to move on to something else.

If anything needs to be sped up it is mining because as it is, due to the insane amount of time it can take to mine a deposit (even if that deposit is diamonds) your profit is next to nothing compared to what you can get doing SoS and COM missions. If mining was sped up (and me and sargas and others have posted a number of suggestions on how to do that in this section of the forums) I feel like that would vastly improve the balance of the game and maybe even give noobs something else to do that will actually make them pretty decent money. Especially if this game became a player driven economy and we couldn't just buy infinite resources from Earth (Which by the way completely contradicts the story of the game that you read on the front page). Then again they can't go very far and their mining opportunities are pretty limited in very pirate heavy areas.

Perhaps we could get some more wormholes closer to SOL that lead out into the 3rd and 4th rings to help those noobs expand their opportunities and avoid the pirates? We could also put things like cloaking devices in the game so that people who just want to peacefully mine can do so to avoid the lower level pirates who might not be able to afford a cloak jamming device, and then the higher level pirates who did have them might want to have bigger targets and would leave the new folks alone.

*Edit* Not to mention we might get more groups of miners getting together and forming corps to help protect themselves and everything. It truly makes me sad that mining is not a good source of income nor does it really give an incentive to create mining guilds/corps. If mining actually worked the way that me and Sargas would like it to work and this game was a player driven economy, I would instantly put everything I had into mining operations and I would play every single day and love it. I love games that allow me to mine stuff, craft it into stuff and then be a merchant and sell my stuff, this game has that kind of potential but sadly that potential hasn't been realized in all the time that I have been here because practically nothing has been changed in regards to mining or the economy or selling what you get.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:20:02 AM by Fenix » Report to moderator   Logged

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »

Did you know that new players start with 10 AP?

We could increase it to let's say 50 AP, should make starting out easier...

Viracocha
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »

BravoVoid with smart play you can be top player but don't expect to have same power as top players in 30 days..
i was start this game before 1 years and i have same thoughts like you but now i am 4. and i hope to be 3. soon..
try to learn how to play game and advance fast ...
i was confuse in start too , what to do and how to make money but when i learn to play my progress was dramatic ..

Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »

I think BravoVoid left the game for a while due to real life stuff.

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »

He decided to quit the game because one of the top player, an allied, kick his ass in sol system. Some people claim the world for themself you know 10
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:51:19 PM by Matamaure001 » Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »

and left with honor. he returned all corporate property, cargoed his modules in corporate supply, and sold his ships (and giving the procedes to corporate funds).
RoadRunner
Private

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »

Man, i like PvP, but attacking new players in SOL? The starting area for new players to make some cash and learn the game? How many new players have quit because of this i wonder. Them actions are lower than whale s^&*!
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »

At EOS we feel the same way as you do RoadRunner.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 11:04:37 PM »

AG is not like Farmville where everything is easy and everyone is super friendly.  laugh
RoadRunner
Private

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »

That is fine. That just says to me that SSS is an enemy to ALL players. Because all players have to start somewhere, and that somewhere is SOL.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:53 PM »

Members of the Sol corp are not attacked. And BTW, what's your stance to SSS, RoadRunner? Tell me now so I can wipe you and your corp out if you are hostile.  1

And Sargas, you should mention that he wasn't attacked. I thought we agreed to not bring this up again? What's the fuss about?
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: