Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 08:10:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Armor  (Read 9511 times)
Merkaba
Private

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »

Hey all.

I've been trying to find where in the game this information is:

I seem to recall reading a description of armor stating that armor requires two damage per armor point or something like that.

I'm not finding that to be the case, 1000 armor seems to only absorb 1000 damage. 

I'm just trying to find what I read to understand what it's saying better and either determine if the 1:1 has always been like that, changed but working as intended or a bug.

Thanks
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:08:48 AM »

Hi,

1 Shield point = 1 Power point
2 Armor points = 1 Power point

So you can have more defense for the same power with armor, because it has to be repaired and is generally harder to maintain.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:12:55 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Merkaba
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »

ah so has it ever been 1 armor point required 2 damage to take it out?

or just 1 power point in armor = 2 armor = 2 dmg to take it out.  13

thanks for your response.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »

ah so has it ever been 1 armor point required 2 damage to take it out?

or just 1 power point in armor = 2 armor = 2 dmg to take it out.  13

thanks for your response.

Yeah, 1 power point = 2 Armor points, so power wise you get more defense with armor.

Yeah, you could also say you need 2 power points in weapons to take out 1 armor point...

Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

Of course nobody really uses armor, the cost to maintain it alone makes it far more expensive than shields, not to mention you have to haul around a boat load of the minerals you need for repairs which is a huge hassle and if you ever run out then you are pretty much boned.

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
dkuhnkc
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »

Of course nobody really uses armor, the cost to maintain it alone makes it far more expensive than shields, not to mention you have to haul around a boat load of the minerals you need for repairs which is a huge hassle and if you ever run out then you are pretty much boned.

agreed that uses armor in COM ships. there are applications where armor is useful, principally things that need some protection but will not be attacked often such as mining stations. Titanium armor is less expensive than advanced shields, so in applications that won't be in combat more than once a month it makes sense to go with armor, you get more bang for your solar.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

ƒuck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »

What the Armicustos said.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »

I use armor...
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »

I also have a little bit of armor on all my ships just in case.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »

Anyone know if combat missions start to yield crystalline armor resources? Right now my combat missions are giving Osmium armor resources. If it does, at what power rating does it start to switch? And does it ever vary? Can you control it?

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »

What ring are your COM's?
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »

I am not sure to understand "yield"? and crystalline armor resources?

I do COM hijack missions (not nest) and from a waiting of 300 hrs all pirate ships have crystalline armor if it is what you want to know.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

ƒuck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »

On looter missions with a $2.1 M reward and upwards, it's crystaline armour only. And better still: no MAUs on the station either, for a zero power opponent in the destroy phase.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

On looter missions with a $2.1 M reward and upwards, it's crystaline armour only. And better still: no MAUs on the station either, for a zero power opponent in the destroy phase.
I was hoping to be able to control it so I get osmium resources instead, like going to the third ring or something. That would cut down on potential repairs or losses in rare circumstances. I only use armor as a distant backup, not a replacement for shields. Keep in mind at the moment I've trained only titanium armor to any extent beyond hte necessary. But once I saw resources for osmium armor were being yielded in COM's, I wondered if I could start making osmium armor for my main COM ship, since I almost never am going to need to repair it anyway and also the more expensive armor doesn't require as much research. Another added bonus is using the  resources to upgrade armor reduces the load on my cargo space--more convenient.

I also like to catch the marines from the missions to build up my MAU's without having to use the salvage ship or travelling to Earth. So are you saying I won't be able to capture as many marines in higher power missions? Also I upgrade my MAU's on my COM ship since MAU resources are yielded from the station when it blows up. I won't be able to do that either?

EDIT: What I mean to say is I guess I'll just wait until I get crystalline and then start making armor when I'm doing COM's. Because it wouldn't make sense to train Osmium and then later have to train Crystalline too. If Osmium sometimes dropped in higher power missions or I could tweak to get more, it'd be more feasible to train Osmium now.

Be better if I could untrain research then I wouldn't be afraid of the points I spend.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:44:49 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
dkuhnkc
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:34 PM »

I was hoping to be able to control it so I get osmium resources instead, like going to the third ring or something. That would cut down on potential repairs or losses in rare circumstances. I only use armor as a distant backup, not a replacement for shields. Keep in mind at the moment I've trained only titanium armor to any extent beyond hte necessary. But once I saw resources for osmium armor were being yielded in COM's, I wondered if I could start making osmium armor for my main COM ship, since I almost never am going to need to repair it anyway and also the more expensive armor doesn't require as much research. Another added bonus is using the  resources to upgrade armor reduces the load on my cargo space--more convenient.

The looter mission power determines the type of armor. I don't remember exactly, but IIRC:

About $500K - $750K looter reward (1.25K-188K looter power you have a mix of iridium and ossmium armor. Between about $750K-$1M reward you should be most or all ossmium armor. $1M-$1.5M you have a mix ossmium and crystalline armor. Above $1.5M station size maximizes at 450K power, as you go up you get more armor, fewer marines, and

at $2,000,001 reward or above you have stations with just crystalline armor and ACB's, no marines. (which give a quick second destroy attack.)
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: