Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 09:38:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is the game developer apprenticeship and how to apply  (Read 89268 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »

Hello everyone,

The Game Developer Apprenticeship is a program started by myself, Emilian Tita, the owner of ET Virtual Worlds

I am a freelance Software Engineer in downtown Toronto, and I've been working with PHP from 1998.

The program is intended for all categories of developers who either have a hobby in coding in general, want to learn how to develop games, or just want to learn in a fun way.

ET Virtual Worlds will support the infrastructure needed to run the program: development server cost, repository subscription, developer forums and the online project management software.
You are free to donate to support this program. It is recommended to use the in-game Pledge system for donations.

Requirement: None really. You can work from anywhere, since we will keep in touch via the team software. You will need to have a free Gmail account and a free team software account.
Cost for you: No cost for you, except your time.

Now about the program. While ET Virtual Worlds will provide guidance and the knowledge base, we will not tell you what to do or hold your hand in any way. There will be guides and tutorials available to introduce you to the coding world and best practices. You will interact with the other members of the team, make friends and ask questions. The program will have a broad range, and you will be able to learn coding from the ground up ("Hello World!"), or play with the best software engineers. We will have a no stress policy, code for fun, that means no deadlines, do it on your own time, pick a task and do it if you like and learn, or pass it up if you have difficulties with it, or join with someone else or a team on the task at hand.

Terms and conditions:
 Please be advised, this program is Volunteer only. That means, you will not receive any remuneration. However, what you will gain is knowledge, experience in agile development methodologies, best practice coding techniques, friends. Our object of interest and "play ground" will be to develop and test new updates for Astro Galaxy in a fun way. You can coordinate with any of the other team members to achieve our objectives. Any abuse of the system will be handled by the administrator and may lead to a temporary or full ban. The source code present in the repositories is the property of ET Virtual Worlds. Any attempt to reverse engineer or steal the code is deemed illegal under the copyright.  When joining the program, you will receive a release form, in witch you acknowledge that any work you do under the program will be under the property and copyright of ET Virtual Worlds and you release any rights you may have on the work to ET Virtual Worlds.

Now, I'm just going to outline what you might be learning from this Apprenticeship program. There are no strings attached, and all topics are optional. I've ordered the topics by category.

CODING
- PhpStorm startup tutorial. Setup your code editor colors & fonts to what you are comfortable with.
- Basic coding tutorial.
- Intermediate coding tutorial. Learn the best practices, so you don't end up with spaghetti code.
- Advanced PhpStorm functions. Setup so you can easily find anything in your projects in seconds.
- Advanced coding tutorial. Learn the Model / View / Controller architecture with frameworks and without.

VERSION CONTROL
- Beanstalk startup tutorial. Learn version control the fun way in a team environment.
- Define and checkout your project in PhpStorm. Learn about linking your project to version control.
- Learn about revisions, history and code reviews. Learn how to rollback but keep your work intact.
- Learn how to Manage your repository files and avoid repository clutter by ignoring some files.

TEAMS
- Trello & Gmail startup tutorial. Keep in touch with the team and pick up your tasks / let us know what you're doing.
- Testing. Deploy to development and test. Rollback and try again if necessary. Learn how important testing is 1

PHP - Backend
- Learn to setup XAMPP under Windows for local development.
- Configure your php.ini, local sites and browser virtual hosts
- API tutorial. Learn how to use CURL.
- Backend Ajax tutorial

Javascript - Frontend
- Basics of Javascript
- JQuery tutorial
- Bootstrap JS tutorial
- Frontend Ajax tutorial

CSS - Frontend
- Basics of CSS
- Bootstrap CSS tutorial

Further more, if you prove your worth in helping to develop Astro Galaxy, you will receive a letter of recommendation my my contact information on request, that will outline the work you did.

Please send your applications to siremi@etvirtualworlds.com You can include resume / a qualifications list if you want.

Best regards,

Emilian Tita
CEO of ET Virtual Worlds

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:08:44 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Fredericka
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »

Fredericka wants to learn to code. Fredericka wants to make changes to the game. Where does she sign up. If you let me in on this I'll even read the forums.
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »

Fredericka wants to learn to code. Fredericka wants to make changes to the game. Where does she sign up. If you let me in on this I'll even read the forums.

Hi, please send an email to siremi@etvirtualworlds.com with your application telling us why you wish to apply and how you could contribute, either with ideas or as a member of the team, helping with the forum, development of the wiki etc.

Thank you.

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »

Team communication board / task management app created  1

This is what we will use to coordinate the team.

* game_devs_app_board.jpg (99.59 KB, 1683x782 - viewed 1191 times.)

Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:55:23 AM »

Add my Trello account please, my name is Iain Lim and my email address is Iainlim853@yahoo.com

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »

Further information:

Only the work you will submit to our repository under the Apprenticeship program will be the property of ET Virtual Worlds.

You give the ET Virtual Worlds the right to use / modify / distribute your code in any way.

You are free to create your own games under your name.

You are also free to use anything that you learn during the program and any code you write for the program you can also use in your own games.

In addition, you can also use any database schema's that we provide for game development, and any ideas you gather during the program to create your own games.

This apprenticeship will basically teach you how to create your own game. And while you learn that, you will also help us in developing Astro Galaxy.

Rojee
Private

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 03:26:47 AM »

I have very little knowledge about game development. I had few experience to the least of my knowledge only in HTML (website making at basic/starter level) i know Webpage development and Web Programming is related & yet different from each other.

my resume is a messed up record of my life a heads up that i might be rejected for a slot in the apprenticeship (i will update my resume prior to send my application). I love online games and i would love to learn how to develop and nake games, and just maybe earn a nice bank account from it in the far future.  hope soon enough i can be part of AG development.
Palpatine
Lance Corporal

May the Dark Side of the Force Be With You

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 05:43:29 AM »

I have very little knowledge about game development. I had few experience to the least of my knowledge only in HTML (website making at basic/starter level) i know Webpage development and Web Programming is related & yet different from each other.

my resume is a messed up record of my life a heads up that i might be rejected for a slot in the apprenticeship (i will update my resume prior to send my application). I love online games and i would love to learn how to develop and nake games, and just maybe earn a nice bank account from it in the far future.  hope soon enough i can be part of AG development.

No one can get rejected, brother. This is just an apprenticeship, I'm sure Sir Emi will be more than glad to have another participant.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

- Code of the Sith
lavis
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »

Holy cow Emi your in Toronto!? Did not know that. I was from Newcastle, East of Toronto .. Now currently in Wasaga beach area doing my college diploma for gas fitter. Nearly done then onto HVAC 313A hopefully. Funny to see you Emi be so close by.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:11:07 AM »

It's sad that no one really became an apprentice.
petera1289
Private

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »

i would like to contribute but currently dont have time for coding

besides my fist skill is basic graphics .... how about i start by cleaning up the planet graphics .... cant paste the example but easy to see the black edging artifacts on larger planets
petera1289
Private

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »

its easier to apply when you get a response  wow

how embarrassing i just realised its only been 46 hours since i emailed siremi direct rather than posting in forums .... embarrassing because i often dont check (non-work) email for 48+ hours
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:56:11 AM by petera1289 » Report to moderator   Logged
petera1289
Private

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 06:27:49 AM »

well its been weeks now since i tried to contact sir emi via various methods without response
SteveCrab
Private

Taking the A out of AI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »

OK, so I have been coding PHP and JS for the last 10 years. Done most things but dont know beanstalk or storm. Have worked extensively with jquery, comms, curl, frameworks, HTML (obviously).  Run wamp personally instead of xamp.

My interest? Take a working, breathing, finely tuned and playable system and enhance it, extend it and then market the crap out of it.

Biggest problem I see? Few users and limited graphics. Needs more oomph! But I love it.

Biggest asset I see - all the long term users and the old user base - who would have all the ideas in the world (universe).

Cheers

Steve
Mobile +61438005051

AG Mining Deposit list - http://orion.cbhp.com.au/deposit.php - access open to all

Dr Noonian Soong is currently considering all membership applications.
Scripting assistance and code provided.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: