Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 01:05:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SirEmi....quick!  (Read 5820 times)
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »

SirEmi,

You may have noticed that many of the new players are not so active anymore and the game is slowly dying. However, they do still login once in a few days, and you still have a chance to revive this amazing game. I suggest you take out AP. Because AP makes activity not very useful anymore, and now people are just logging in to use their APs, then logging out. Besides, if you want to make QP rarer, you could always increase the solars-QP exchange ratio. 500k solars for 1 QP may be good enough. I know that you spent a lot of time on these updates and don't want to make them go to waste, but it WILL go to waste if you don't remove it. I'm generally okay with the front page, but the AP update is just rubbish.

Please, SirEmi, I love this game and the amount of potential it has, but it's your decision whether or not you want to give this game a chance of survival. If you decide to remove APs, at least say it here first so that the AG players will be able to have something to look forward to.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:51:01 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

I don't think the problem is with the AP, but more of the game's inability to retain players over a long time. The first step is to find ways to make people log in even though their timers aren't done yet, and as suggested many times before, a galactic chat box would be very easy to implement and would have a great impact.

But then again, it's more likely that our pleas will again fall on deaf ears.
Report to moderator   Logged
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 04:48:40 AM »

Hmm...yeah. At least allow players with at least 1 ship in a certain system to use a 'System Chat'. Eg. LSK Warrior is at Andromeda, so now it can use the Andromeda System chat. After all, I'm sure technology those days will be good enough to enable communication within the system, not just within the planet.

Or something cooler:
Make a Radio module. The higher tech it is, the longer its range. So an mk 1 radio module would allow players to chat within the system the ship with the radio module is at, mk 2 can chat 2 LY, mk 3 3 LY and so on. What do you gys think? 15 I don't really know how to express my ideas, I'm really sorry for the confusing language, but this would be a really cool feature.

Btw this game retained players quite well before the AP update.

lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »

that may work  21 I have no problem build module. I agrees AP force a lot of people not playing. It so hard to get QP now.
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:38:06 PM »

Actually I find it easier to get QP now  16

Anyway I will still be playing this game, because I know SirEmi will eventually change the game and I want to make as much of a headstart as possible before the old players start coming back  12

raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »

that may work  21 I have no problem build module. I agrees AP force a lot of people not playing. It so hard to get QP now.

AP doesn't "force" you to not play. You will still earn more if you play and log in often. 1

Hmm...yeah. At least allow players with at least 1 ship in a certain system to use a 'System Chat'. Eg. LSK Warrior is at Andromeda, so now it can use the Andromeda System chat. After all, I'm sure technology those days will be good enough to enable communication within the system, not just within the planet.

Or something cooler:
Make a Radio module. The higher tech it is, the longer its range. So an mk 1 radio module would allow players to chat within the system the ship with the radio module is at, mk 2 can chat 2 LY, mk 3 3 LY and so on. What do you gys think? 15 I don't really know how to express my ideas, I'm really sorry for the confusing language, but this would be a really cool feature.

Btw this game retained players quite well before the AP update.

That would mean newbies (who need it most) would still have to research it. It should be available to all from the start.

And nope, it didn't retain players well. All corps have members who quit. laugh

Actually I find it easier to get QP now  16

Anyway I will still be playing this game, because I know SirEmi will eventually change the game and I want to make as much of a headstart as possible before the old players start coming back  12

I also want some headstart now that I'm done with AES Mk MMM and still have some RPs left.  yawn

* toaa science.png (1.04 KB, 349x28 - viewed 446 times.)
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »

That would mean newbies (who need it most) would still have to research it. It should be available to all from the start.

Make it as a reward from the SEA Training Course, then.  15

Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »

SirEmi,

You may have noticed that many of the new players are not so active anymore and the game is slowly dying. However, they do still login once in a few days, and you still have a chance to revive this amazing game. I suggest you take out AP. Because AP makes activity not very useful anymore, and now people are just logging in to use their APs, then logging out. Besides, if you want to make QP rarer, you could always increase the solars-QP exchange ratio. 500k solars for 1 QP may be good enough. I know that you spent a lot of time on these updates and don't want to make them go to waste, but it WILL go to waste if you don't remove it. I'm generally okay with the front page, but the AP update is just rubbish.

Please, SirEmi, I love this game and the amount of potential it has, but it's your decision whether or not you want to give this game a chance of survival. If you decide to remove APs, at least say it here first so that the AG players will be able to have something to look forward to.

Thanks!
I've been thinking about AP's lately, so here're my thought...

AP is a way to quickly do something if you need to do it quickly--RL calls. For one reason or another you want to finish a particular timer. For example, maybe you set a course for a planet and you want to arrive there before sleeping but you want to go to bed NOW. You spend an AP. 8 minutes left but you need to drive to town NOW! Spend AP, set new course.

Before, there was no way to do it without spending QP, but QP costs money. It's behind a barrier. Sir Emi decided that being able to occasionally do things quick was a feature too important to put a price on.

He knew that players could already emulate this somewhat, although not as smoothly. For example, they could create higher MK modules, like WHG/FTL, and keep them in the cargo, only using them to occasionally speed up travel. If they wnated to speed up combat they could disable modules, but that also meant less combat power in the fight. They could purchase optimizations to speed up manufacturing, but that had a limit. There were other cases, but they all come up short. And all of these things have one thing in common: None of them can finish something instantly.

So Sir Emi asked "How can I create a system like that?" Almost immediately the answer came. There was already a system like this in-place: The QP system! Sir Emi didn't need to be told. It was obvious. But he wanted to keep using QP to encourage players to spend $$$, since speeding up actions or instantly finishing them is something they'll always want. So whatever he added to speed things up would still leave room for the QP system and the revenues from it. He decided to add something which would use or mimic the code and thoughts already in the QP system. He named it the AP system.

The AP system would be free, thus allowing all players to finish things instantly or at least quickly. This was easier than going through the game with a fine tooth comb. Sir Emi could have done that. For example, maybe he could have allowed an "afterburner" feature for travel which used twice the fuel for each level and operated like QP. He could have also added a feature to quickly finish manufacturing tasks, maybe calling it "Boost Manufacture". But many of these things were redundant, since QP already existed. It just made sense then to combine the QP and AP system together instead of having them exist apart.

The probelm--as I see it--is AP can be converted to QP which can be used for things like VIP and officers. So players end up spedning a lot of their AP on things unrelated to the initial reason for adding AP's. If players don't have any AP, they cannot ocassionally speed up actions!!! This is all a consequence of how QP's work and the fact AP's are tied to them. So perhaps Sir Emi will need to find a way to isolate some of the AP's so they cannot be spent on VIP or officers, thus always giving players some points to spend on speeding up or immediately finishing actions.

Which makes me ask if being able to speed up actions was only a part of the original reasoning.

VIP might become hte new minimum, if new players are patient enough to save up 167 days of AP. Would it really be unanticipated if APs just end up giving everybody VIP? I doubt it. Sir Emi must have known when s/he added APs that many players would opt to spend the APs on VIP. In light of this, maybe APs are just a handout to keep players interested? Not only does it give everybody an extra lift, but it requires you to login every several days, otherwise the APs will cap and stop generating.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:31:36 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:39 PM »

without purchasing more, AP only grows with a 200 limit (100 without VIP).
Once you reach the limit, the game will not generate anymore until the total is lower than 200(100).
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »

without purchasing more, AP only grows with a 200 limit (100 without VIP).
Once you reach the limit, the game will not generate anymore until the total is lower than 200(100).

Yes I noticed that. It keeps people logging in. It's free $$$, since each AP is 1/20 QP.

So it could be that APs are just a means to give away some $$$ in the hopes players will play long enoguh to get hooked. Once they're hooked, the thinking goes, they'll start spending $$$. Or, at worst, they'll populate the game. A more populated world means players of all backgrounds and creeds might be more likely to keep playing (and spend $$$).

So did the game merely lower the cost of admittance? It's giving away QPs, basically.

I still think it's more than that. Look at how many APs players get per day: 24. Compared to the old QP system, each one is equivalent to a QP in terms of its ability to speed up travel or other actions. When one wants to purchase VIP or other services, it's 1/20 of the QP. QP's MUST be converted to APs to use them in actions. This was not the case prior to APs. From this, it's somewhat clear to me there's an intent to encourage players to use these for speeding up things.

APs are about speeding up actions as much as they're a giveaway and a means to keep players loggin in. Basically with the introduction of APs players were able to do 20x more speed ups with each QP than in the past.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:56:41 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: