Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 10:47:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: AG mentoring system  (Read 41318 times)
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »

This still needs to be made...
Report to moderator   Logged

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

Ć’uck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

Yeah, sounds like something tailor-made for you Rostin. You've been a fabulous mentor for me anyway.  1
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »

Oh shucks...  6

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »

Raptor, you made him blush...
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »

There are many of us who would make good mentors. Unfortunately right now it is hard to find new players. Not all of us stalk Earth and I suspect some may have alts in Sol corp to keep an eye out for newbies. lol
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 08:31:23 AM »

*pokes SirEmi to get started on this*

This is definitely a good idea. It has been a long time since I started but I vaguely remember that back when I started I played for like a week or two before I heard from a single person that wasn't a noob in Sol corp like myself, granted I registered for the forums here quickly so I knew there were active players in the game but if a person isn't really into forums they might play for a few days and have no idea that anybody else even plays the game. A feature like this that immediately establishes a line of communication between someone who actually knows what they are doing and a new player would solve that problem pretty quickly.

Also if I might suggest a change to the milestones, I don't think it is a really good idea to have something like getting your 10th station license is a very good milestone. First of all getting up to 10 ship or station licenses is quite expensive and I would argue that anyone with even 6 or 7 ship licenses isn't really a new player in need of too much guidance at that point (in my opinion anyway, I suppose everyone is different). Certainly getting up to 3 ship licenses wouldn't be a bad milestone but you start getting over that and you should have a good idea of what you are doing considering how much they cost. Also I don't think station licenses should be a milestone at all, my main reason being if you take a look at the top rankings half of the players there don't even have a single station. It's not like it's a bad idea to have a station but for many of us I would say it's just something else we have to defend only it can't move to avoid attacks and honestly they aren't even necessary depending on how you want to play.

I would like to see some different milestones, for example if you enabled stat tracking in this game then completing 10 SOS or 10 COM missions could be a good early-mid milestone. The Academy has you do one of each as I recal but certainly don't do an amazing job of explaining everything about them and although someone can tell you about them and how you should aproach them there is nothing like first hand experience.

I also think that perhaps the QP amounts you mentioned earlier seem a little high to me. QP's aren't exactly hard to come by once you understand the game and get your economy going but considering anyone with a ship power of over 150k could apply to be a mentor I would imagine there will be a lot of people applying to be a mentor as soon as they hit 150k power simply to try and get what they would consider really easy QP or even free QP. Those people might not necessarily be the best people to try and explain the in's and out's of the game. I myself am up over 500k power and I've been around for a fair bit (something like 3 or 4 months if you take out my 9 month abscense) and I'm still learning things about the game here and there. I would say maybe lower the QP amounts to make it less appealing to those who aren't necessarily qualified to give new players a detailed and smooth explaination of the game or raise the requirements to weed out those individuals.

I might also suggest adding a requirement that anyone applying to be a mentor have an account that is at least a month or two old. I mean if you really know what you are doing and are active you could probably get up to 150k power in two weeks or something like that but that doesn't really mean you know about what good strategies are for your economy or for combat later on. That isn't to say that people at 150k power don't know what they are doing, I'm not saying that at all so hopefully nobody reading this gets offended by that I'm just saying that you can build up power pretty easily if that is how you want to play the game (being combat oriented).

Also what about new players who end up quitting? I think it would be a good idea if any new player is inactive for say... 30 days that they get kicked from disciple status. That way if someone isn't active and their mentor decides to drop them you don't get this floating population of new players that haven't played in 30 days or more just constantly getting re-assigned to a new random mentor.

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 02:39:44 AM »

I also think that perhaps the QP amounts you mentioned earlier seem a little high to me. QP's aren't exactly hard to come by once you understand the game and get your economy going but considering anyone with a ship power of over 150k could apply to be a mentor I would imagine there will be a lot of people applying to be a mentor as soon as they hit 150k power simply to try and get what they would consider really easy QP or even free QP. Those people might not necessarily be the best people to try and explain the in's and out's of the game. I myself am up over 500k power and I've been around for a fair bit (something like 3 or 4 months if you take out my 9 month abscense) and I'm still learning things about the game here and there. I would say maybe lower the QP amounts to make it less appealing to those who aren't necessarily qualified to give new players a detailed and smooth explaination of the game or raise the requirements to weed out those individuals.

I might also suggest adding a requirement that anyone applying to be a mentor have an account that is at least a month or two old. I mean if you really know what you are doing and are active you could probably get up to 150k power in two weeks or something like that but that doesn't really mean you know about what good strategies are for your economy or for combat later on. That isn't to say that people at 150k power don't know what they are doing, I'm not saying that at all so hopefully nobody reading this gets offended by that I'm just saying that you can build up power pretty easily if that is how you want to play the game (being combat oriented).

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I myself managed to hit 200k power thanks to gifted modules. So anybody who joins SSS or some other big corporation can become a mentor within a few days, even if they haven't understood the game properly yet. I mean, I'm already 200k power but I often make mistakes (like installing just the WHG and forgetting the FTL Drive, and then only realized I wasted so much fuel on a trip to Tau Ceti) I suggest maybe you could make mentor-wannabes take a sort of quiz with some randomly-generated questions to ensure they understand the game properly. Although I'm pretty sure within months some players will have collected a whole databank of all the possible questions, and cheaters could refer to the databank.

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Gildavinor
Corporal

Master Gildavinor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »

I question the need for mentors on a game-wide basis. As a noob, (just over a month in), I find that being in a good corporation I receive all the mentoring I need. I recently invited my son into the game, and into the Corp.
Any player worth his salt will check the forums, so if the major Corps renew their recruitment posts there should be no problem retaining serious new players. Those players should receive their mentoring from within the Corps.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:59:16 AM by Gildavinor » Report to moderator   Logged

Master - League of Extraordinary Pirates
ESC01
Sergeant

Alien Hunter Ω

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »

"HERE'S THE TRUTH"
AG is like an old,old car of his... it runs good,sounds good,and even may look good but there can always be improvement done to make others to look twice at it!!!
SirEmi ur baby need a spit shining !!! pokey
 greatsaiyaman

"Power To The "AG" Players"
kurama
Private

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »

Right mentoring right after Sol tutorials

But i think Sir Emi is or was looking for game devs for AG, whom will spend time and a bit of money for it's improvement ya know what i mean $investors$

OR whoever knows what SirEmi is up to rignf now kindly spit it out. Is he making Android/iOs version of AG? Or something similar?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: