Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 19, 2024, 02:46:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: General Stratagy  (Read 11413 times)
Gildavinor
Corporal

Master Gildavinor

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »

So which is the better approach? Many Ships of small to moderate size ... or just a couple of large ships?

My instinct tells me to just build my two heavy frigates up, (increasing hull size as I can afford it). Keep one in Sol, as a science/manufacturing platform ... running local taxi service, and the other as an interstellar explorer/mining ship. At least at first ... any thoughts?
Report to moderator   Logged

Master - League of Extraordinary Pirates
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »

Many smaller ships are better at start to do SOS missions. My opinion 1
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »

So which is the better approach? Many Ships of small to moderate size ... or just a couple of large ships?

My instinct tells me to just build my two heavy frigates up, (increasing hull size as I can afford it). Keep one in Sol, as a science/manufacturing platform ... running local taxi service, and the other as an interstellar explorer/mining ship. At least at first ... any thoughts?

Do you want to try out everything or do you just want to get stronger asap?  1
Gildavinor
Corporal

Master Gildavinor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »

I want to try different things, but I'm patient and I want to try them when I'm strong enough to have a good chance at success.

How was that for equivocating? 21
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:34:05 AM by Gildavinor » Report to moderator   Logged

Master - League of Extraordinary Pirates
ESC01
Sergeant

Alien Hunter Ω

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »

I think over week no answer from anyone will give you the answer that you are seeking>??
Try different things but do indeed go with different things??  
"did I make any sense ?" 12
I added >>>Reputation: +4/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:36:51 PM by ESC01 » Report to moderator   Logged

"Power To The "AG" Players"
Odlid
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »

I haven't played (much) while on holiday for a few weeks - sorry for the slow response.  Here is my $0.02 solars:

1. You need money.  In the beginning frigate class ship is your best bet.  8 slots - one FTL and 7 cargo for doing SOL transport missions, or one FTL, one WHG, and 6 cargo for doing SOS missions.  Do intra-SOL transport missions until you can outfit a ship with enough ACB space to do SOS missions.  There is a really good (ahem) guide to SOS missions on this forum.  

2. You need to buy upgraded modules with your money.  You have two effective strategies in the beginning:
  • 2a. Buy a titan(s).  Fill it full of SLB's.  Use all your RP to upgrade the SLB's to SLB 100's - as you can afford to do so upgrade your SLB modules until you get them all at 100's.  This will (relatively) slowly give you enough RP to research module upgrades so you can then manufacture modules on your Titan(s)
  • 2b. You really no longer need to build up RP capacity.  You can post on the forum in the "GCA for Sale" thread for whatever module you want and you can get them made for you pretty easily.  Small to no premium over your build cost, but you save $$ buying all the SLB's to research it yourself and you save time=money getting to the point where you can build yourself.  You really should consider buying some ACB's - maybe 50 or 100's - in the beginning even if you prefer to go down the 'roll-your-own' route with SLB's

3. Buy upgraded modules.  Priority:
  • ACB - you ALWAYS need more cargo space
  • WHG - up to 35 which seems to me to be optimum between speed of interstellar movement and fuel costs.  You opinion may vary
  • IF you want to mine: AAH and AMF - probably 100 minimum.  Higher level=more profit long term
  • IF you want to do combat missions: AES and MAU - the higher the better.  Depending on your play style LQ might be useful as well, or just drive back to SOL to replenish civilian crew.  Also useful for 'downgrading' a module effect/power
  • IF you want to tow combat ships for combat missions or defense of mining then you could consider Hangar Bay.  Not really necessary but you get 2 more slots of AES/MAU on your combat ship this way.
  • You really, really do not need anything else at this stage.  Research them if you like but it is wasted RP in the early game (and most of the rest are never, ever useful)

4. You've been doing interstellar SOS for a while now.  Pick up COM missions and do them for $$ if you have an interest in combat.  Pick up mining SOS missions if you have an interest in mining.

5. If you get this far you've probably got a fleet of frigates for mining optimized for "Freighter" and/or "Scout Ship", a fleet of frigates for SOS missions optimized for "Scout Ship", and a fleet of frigates for COM missions optimized for "Assault Bomber".  Once you've got to this point you can do whatever you wish - upgrade the hulls of your combat ships and stuff 40 mark MMM AES and 30 mark MMM MAU and some cargo and be a king!  Or explore the Alien Cluster.

Glossary:
FTL - faster than light module needed to navigate within any star system.  Required for intrastellar transport missions.  Usually used for SOS missions.  Required for mining.  Not absolutely necessary for COM ships
WHG - Worm hole generator module.  Required for all ships that route between stars.  Not needed for intrastellar transport missions.  Not absolutely necessary for COM ships if you tow the COM ships into battle
SOS - in interstellar space there are SOS missions and COM missions.  SOS missions are: save the stranded colonist, sell them fuel, sell them medicine, or invest in their mining proposition.  The mining SOS missions are also called PT - prospector? - missions.
COM - in interstellar space there are COM missions.  Kill poop (or be killed).  If you kill poop you get paid.
ACB - Advanced Cargo Bay.  You need cargo space to do anything.  Alternative to ACB is the regular Cargo Bay - less expensive per m^3 of cargo space but 3x as long to build per equivalent space.  The highest ranked players often switch to CB's in the end game.  In the beginning time is money so ACB is your play.
SLB - Science Lab.  Needed to generate RP
RP - research points.  Learning how to manufacture higher mark modules requires research points generated by SLB's.
AES - advanced electromagnetic shield.  You need a balance of shields and attack power for combat
MAU - marine assault unit.  Provides attack power, the MAU is the most effective way to get combat attack power
LQ - living quarters - lets you store spare civilians and/or captured personnel for combat loss replenishment.  Or to reduce the number of personnel=reduce power of a module on your ship.
AAH - advanced atmospheric harvester.  Necessary to 'mine' gas planets and atmospheres of other planets
AMF - advanced mining facility.  Necessary to mine surfaces of solid (ie non-gas) planets
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:05:48 AM by Odlid » Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »

I haven't played (much) while on holiday for a few weeks - sorry for the slow response.  Here is my $0.02 solars:

1. You need money.  In the beginning frigate class ship is your best bet.  8 slots - one FTL and 7 cargo for doing SOL transport missions, or one FTL, one WHG, and 6 cargo for doing SOS missions.  Do intra-SOL transport missions until you can outfit a ship with enough ACB space to do SOS missions.  There is a really good (ahem) guide to SOS missions on this forum.   

2. You need to buy upgraded modules with your money.  You have two effective strategies in the beginning:
  • 2a. Buy a titan(s).  Fill it full of SLB's.  Use all your RP to upgrade the SLB's to SLB 100's - as you can afford to do so upgrade your SLB modules until you get them all at 100's.  This will (relatively) slowly give you enough RP to research module upgrades so you can then manufacture modules on your Titan(s)
  • 2b. You really no longer need to build up RP capacity.  You can post on the forum in the "GCA for Sale" thread for whatever module you want and you can get them made for you pretty easily.  Small to no premium over your build cost, but you save $$ buying all the SLB's to research it yourself and you save time=money getting to the point where you can build yourself.  You really should consider buying some ACB's - maybe 50 or 100's - in the beginning even if you prefer to go down the 'roll-your-own' route with SLB's

3. Buy upgraded modules.  Priority:
  • ACB - you ALWAYS need more cargo space
  • WHG - up to 35 which seems to me to be optimum between speed of interstellar movement and fuel costs.  You opinion may vary
  • IF you want to mine: AAH and AMF - probably 100 minimum.  Higher level=more profit long term
  • IF you want to do combat missions: AES and MAU - the higher the better.  Depending on your play style LQ (civilians only) might be useful as well, or just drive back to SOL to replenish marines
  • IF you want to tow combat ships for combat missions or defense of mining then you could consider Hangar Bay.  Not really necessary but you get 2 more slots of AES/MAU on your combat ship this way.
  • You really, really do not need anything else at this stage.  Research them if you like but it is wasted RP in the early game (and most of the rest are never, ever useful)

4. You've been doing interstellar SOS for a while now.  Pick up COM missions and do them for $$ if you have an interest in combat.  Pick up mining SOS missions if you have an interest in mining.

5. If you get this far you've probably got a fleet of frigates for mining optimized for "Freighter" and/or "Scout Ship", a fleet of frigates for SOS missions optimized for "Scout Ship", and a fleet of frigates for COM missions optimized for "Assault Bomber".  Once you've got to this point you can do whatever you wish - upgrade the hulls of your combat ships and stuff 40 mark MMM AES and 30 mark MMM MAU and some cargo and be a king!  Or explore the Alien Cluster.

Glossary:
FTL - faster than light module needed to navigate within any star system.  Required for intrastellar transport missions.  Usually used for SOS missions.  Required for mining.  Not absolutely necessary for COM ships
WHG - Worm hole generator module.  Required for all ships that route between stars.  Not needed for intrastellar transport missions.  Not absolutely necessary for COM ships if you tow the COM ships into battle
SOS - in interstellar space there are SOS missions and COM missions.  SOS missions are: save the stranded colonist, sell them fuel, sell them medicine, or invest in their mining proposition.  The mining SOS missions are also called PT - prospector? - missions.
COM - in interstellar space there are COM missions.  Kill poop (or be killed).  If you kill poop you get paid.
ACB - Advanced Cargo Bay.  You need cargo space to do anything.  Alternative to ACB is the regular Cargo Bay - less expensive per m^3 of cargo space but 3x as long to build per equivalent space.  The highest ranked players often switch to CB's in the end game.  In the beginning time is money so ACB is your play.
SLB - Science Lab.  Needed to generate RP
RP - research points.  Learning how to manufacture higher mark modules requires research points generated by SLB's.
AES - advanced electromagnetic shield.  You need a balance of shields and attack power for combat
MAU - marine assault unit.  Provides attack power, the MAU is the most effective way to get combat attack power
LQ - living quarters - lets you store spare marines and/or captured personnel for combat loss replenishment
(LQ store civilians not marines
AAH - advanced atmospheric harvester.  Necessary to 'mine' gas planets and atmospheres of other planets
AMF - advanced mining facility.  Necessary to mine surfaces of solid (ie non-gas) planets

well said

the only changes i suggest are up there in red
ESC01
Sergeant

Alien Hunter Ω

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »

@ "Sargas
your Avatar scars me!!!!! puppyeyes puppyeyes

sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »

@ "Sargas

how's this one?
ESC01
Sergeant

Alien Hunter Ω

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 02:31:19 AM »

@ "Sargas

how's this one?
double scaring puppyeyes puppyeyes puppyeyes puppyeyes puppyeyes

Odlid
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 07:07:35 AM »

the only changes i suggest are up there in red

Sargas - thanks.  I really don't use LQ's in my play so I forgot you can't stuff marines there.  Thanks!
spacebird
Private

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »

At the end the problem is always getting money:

Get one 4x slots ship, optimized for low fuel cost + FTL 30 + WMG ~30 + 2x ACB around 10K together.
Then do SOS missions forever:
- Buy 200 diamonds.
- Buy 2000 fual.
- Buy 2000 medicines.
Now click on the "blind jump" of your WMG and do any SOS missions that are either rescue, fuel or medicines (until that you run out of medicines). Ignore anything else.
If you are lucky then you'll return back to Earth with near 10 rescue missions that can give you around 3.5M$.
Then buy the diamonds, fuel and medicines and try again.

Except for the "money making ship" you need 1 or 2 big ships to be always at Earth with no FTL/WMG and only for making RP or building modules.
I'm upgrading all my Science Labs to MK101 but it's slow and cost a lot of money - and money is hard to get.
I'm getting now 151K RP every hour but I really don't need it. I keep spending them on ACB.

The rest of your ships should be mining ships:
- FLT 30 / WMG ~30 / At last 2500 fuel when you leave Earth.
- ACB together 20K+ are the best. I can build ACB MK151 so I'm using 40K+.
- At last 5x modules of each of the 2 specialized modules types. MK5 or better.
- 6x (more is better) of each of the Advanced mining modules types. If you can then MK11 or better. I have even few MK25 modules, but it cost a lot of money and it's too much to get 21 items per hours with a maximum of 100 items. You need to check at last every 4 hours. MK11 is the best = 10.5 per hour - it'll be full every 10 hours.
- I have 3x Living Quarters MK101 on each mining ship but 2x is enough. Cheap to build, less cheap to fill it with people.

Find an empty stars system and fill the planets with your mines.
Fly only between the planets to collect items from the mines.
When you are full, or the star system close to supernova, fly back to Earth and repeat.

That's all. End of game 1
Publius
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »

Find an empty stars system and fill the planets with your mines.
Fly only between the planets to collect items from the mines.
When you are full, or the star system close to supernova, fly back to Earth and repeat.

That's all. End of game 1

Can also fight COMs, Explore and Exploit ARC, develop advanced mods and techniques for mining/harvesting PTs, or even found or join a corporation..
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »

...or the star system close to supernova...

If y'all find yourselves in this particular frustration, call on the LEPRECHAUN. For a nominal fee, she will re-stabilize your mining colony at about 100 units per day (depending on stellar type).
Odlid
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »

I'll bite...who or what is LEPRECHAUN?  And by 100 units a day...what do you mean?  100 solars (cheap!)  100 QP (ouch=$100 million solars = can it be worth it?)
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: