Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 20, 2024, 08:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Astro Galaxy is launched!  (Read 7913 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »

Astro Galaxy is in full launch as of today.

Space exploration is open and all new captains are welcome.

Godspeed!
Report to moderator   Logged

Heretic
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

Woo!  1 this game looks really promising!

“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened”
- D. Adams
Jaqvaar
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:56:24 AM »

Yes, Heretic, it DID look really promising. And a bit over a month after it was launched, it's almost dead. A game that promotes destruction, protects pirates and is oriented towards griefing is doomed to fail. Because if destoying what someone else built is more profitable than building it yourself, then what's the point? Let's all pick on noobs, there's no penalty, no risk, only profit to be made. Why waste fuel to explore Pi Orionis when you can just hang around Sol and Sirius and attack people's bases when they're offline? Why even build bases? Why research?

A viper squadron and a medium ship is all you need, just go for the weakest ones. This is why there are only 2 proper corps in the game and all the others are pirates and griefers.

This game COULD have been the best game in its genre (given that it's a casual, browser-based free game). But unless some basic things are fixed YESTERDAY, it will die within a few weeks. It's already not fun anymore.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »

The game is progressing and evolving all the time. We're getting new players every day and the game becomes more known each day. It's hard to get new players at first, but it will be an exponential increase soon, so take advantage of that by establishing a base now before it gets too crowded 1

In the next update , we will have "Loot & Plunder" and "Capture / Destroy" for attack types, whenever the defender has a station or planetary force into the battle. Also, greatly improved battle system with lower damage margins, etc.

To explain it more, the "Loot & Plunder" attack will be the default selected when attempting to attack a station / planet. In "Loot & Plunder" attack, the civilians on station / planet can not be killed, and marine losses for the defender are halved by 50%, meaning after the battle, 50% of the marines scattered by the assault return to their posts. Also, in "Loot & Plunder", the attacker gets to raid mining / atmospheric facilities and stations cargo bays.

While in "Capture / Destroy", the time to position and assault will be 2X, taking more time to attack. In this attack type, the defender will be heavily fortified with 15 HP for marines and 5 HP for civilians. The capture / destroy chance will be 50% / 50% provided the attacker can achieve victory and kill every single personnel on the attacked station / planet.

This will make combat more balanced, and piracy more like an economy then a destruction... The pirates will be able to farm different stars, kind of like taking tax for protection 1

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:24:28 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Tony2x
Private

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »

its a very good game...it just needs time to establish. 15

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »

I a newbie here. I am still learning the game.  But I have noticed quite a bit of complaining about piracy. Without knowing too much here it my viewpoint. It sounds to me that the game is actually a lot like it would be in real life should this sort of situation ever occur. Colonies, Mining Stations, Space Stations and Cargo Ships would likely be the targets of outlaw pirates who are just trying to survive and make money by pirating those weaker then them. Just like Pirates did in the early days of America and just like some pirates out there still do today. It is my understanding ships in orbit can protect planets. So why can't the corps who actually want to do mining band together to protect one another by deploying ships to help protect one another? Though I do understand for free players this might be difficult with the 3 ship limit. Personally I hope that limit is eventually lifted or at least raised. This would make protecting a planet a little easier. Though of course pirates could also take advantage of this. Though I think most pirates would just leave the heavily defended planets alone and go looking for easier prey. Hopefully in time what imbalances exist in the game will be fixed.  In particular with planets vs ships.  I wouldn't say the space station vs ship though since all a space station really is, is a big spaceship that can't really move. It might be able to hold out for a while. But unless you get it repaired right away, it is likely to be attacked again before too long and be destroyed.

Also I noticed the pirate bashing going on in the game. I understand hating them. But don't judge someone a noob because they choose to play the game one way or another. Clearly the game was designed to be played multiple ways.  If you want to be a miner that's fine. If you want to be a transport ship thats fine. If you want to be a cargo ship answering distress calls that is fine.  If you want to be a raider/pirate that is fine. Hell if your wanting to help protect people from raiders/pirates that is fine.  A noob will do a horrible job regardless of which way they choose to play but a skilled player will find a way to do well.
Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »

ooc: Couldnt agree more, just because i choose to play the game one way doesnt make me a bad guy... well except in game that is.

Lemme know when your Newb protection has expired, id like to explain how donations to 'the cause' function ;)
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: