Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 05:38:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Exploring the Universe  (Read 8373 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »

1. The Astro Galaxy Universe

The universe is extensive and is divided in quadrants, each quadrant is a square with 32 LY width and length.

The Sol star with Earth sits in the middle on the 0,0 quadrant. From -1,-1 to 1,1 that's about 50 LY from Sol that is explored area where star maps are available. As you get out of this area, there are unexplored stars. Basically, the universe is infinite and new un-explored quadrants can be added. At the moment we have populated quadrants -4,-4 to 4,4 and in total there are about 723 stars, but more quadrants can be added at any time, it all depends on the game growth.

2. Distance from Earth is important, as you get further out into space it gets harder to resupply with fuel. The fuel cells can be obtained by converting mined minerals / gases into fuel. Stations can be deployed and used as trading posts. Docking privileges can be set by captains that deploy the stations, so other captains can dock with it. Trade rules can be set to buy / sell fuel cells and resources on the stations.

The prices are set by the Sol corporation though, so independent station can trade but the price / unit will be determined by Sol. This fixed price on the resources & fuel price may be lifted in the future, as the space exploration expands.

Stations can be bought from the SOL Shipyard and transported in the ship cargo bay to the place where you want to deploy it. As you go deeper into unexplored space, it is imperative to establish mining outposts to gather the fuel needed to push further. Stations can be set to auto un-load resources from the mining facilities on the ground, reducing the micro-management. By remotely commanding the station, you can also convert the mined resources into fuel directly on the station, then just set trade rules to sell the fuel to others or transfer it to your ships when docking.

For the economic part, there are also plans for a Sol auction, where one can auction fully equipped ships and expensive modules on the SOL Commodity Exchange station in the orbit of Earth. This auction will enable captains that want to design ships and have the technology to manufacture high-tech modules to make a lucrative business. The prices on auction will be set set by the market.

3. Distress calls, SoS and Com (Combat) contracts. Those can be lucrative, the SoS signals usually require a transport vessel with big cargo bay, while the Combat signals will require a military equipped ship. The Combat signals will try and match your ship power with the signal power & difficulty, so using a more powerful ship will yield a more difficult mission and more solars to be gained.

4. Aliens. Yes, we have big plans for an alien encounter. There will be stories / sightings complete with news coverage. Captains will have the opportunity to embark into a campaign against alien ships & facilities, in an effort to help Earth when the threat breaks out into war as communications degrade. Aliens will make bases and expand, and it will be up to the captains and independent corporations to protect their territories. Lucrative opportunities may arise from the conflict, and all will be covered by news.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:34:04 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

The universe is extensive and is divided in quadrants, each quadrant is a square with 16 LY width and length.

Emi is this out of date or something?  I ask because the quadrants are clearly bigger then 16 ly across either way.
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »

The universe is extensive and is divided in quadrants, each quadrant is a square with 16 LY width and length.

Emi is this out of date or something?  I ask because the quadrants are clearly bigger then 16 ly across either way.

Wow, my mistake. The quadrants are 32 LY width x 32 LY height.

16 LY West / North / East / South from Sol is the quadrant 0,0. Sol is in the middle of quadrant 0,0.
After that every square 32 LY is another quadrant.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:31:31 PM »

Wow, my mistake. The quadrants are 32 LY width x 32 LY height.

16 LY West / North / East / South from Sol is the quadrant 0,0. Sol is in the middle of quadrant 0,0.
After that every square 32 LY is another quadrant.

I had a couple of other less powerful members arguing over this issue too and brought up this thread.   I had always ignored it since I realized it was bigger then that.  Not a huge deal really. lol
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

yeah quadrants are a bit larger than 16ly. i suspect Sir Emi was working on radius, not diameter perhaps. Anyway, on point #4
4. Aliens. Yes, we have big plans for an alien encounter. There will be stories / sightings complete with news coverage. Captains will have the opportunity to embark into a campaign against alien ships & facilities, in an effort to help Earth when the threat breaks out into war as communications degrade. Aliens will make bases and expand, and it will be up to the captains and independent corporations to protect their territories. Lucrative opportunities may arise from the conflict, and all will be covered by news.
This would be great to bring in after you bring in carrier. We need carrier to coordinate decisive strikes at an enemy location. Also gets a vote in my book to keep my pilots occupied. They are getting restless with all this peace and may start hunting member pirate corporations again shortly LOL
Any plans to acknowledge good service to Earth via means of medals of honor to pin to our captains (or corporations) collective chests? for services provided....etc etc. I know we dont belong to the [SOL] corp and therefore are probably considered freelancers and not strictly working for the SOL military, but we are fond of our blue marble still and [SOL] wouldnt be the first org to employ para-military soldier of fortune troops lol

Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 03:50:58 AM »

Just an odd fact of mapping the universe... guess you could call it "solar drift" but if you save out the nav images and stitch them together (how we mad our map) there is a shift the further you get from Sol... Im guessing its just a fact of systems having to be a certain size on the image etc...but for each quad out from Sol you get an extra 1-2ly onto the map in (thankfully atleast constant directions). But it was a bit annoying at first when I made the map...took a bit of work figuring out where the shift was so I could draw the grid lines...
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:18:08 AM »

Is there a minimum size to the Stations that can be set up to be Trading Posts? Is there a specific module it must have?

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »

What directions of the compass are most active outside of 0,0?

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Is there a minimum size to the Stations that can be set up to be Trading Posts? Is there a specific module it must have?
No. yes. you will need cargo space. and possibly a miner or such delivering materials to that cargo bay. then you can trade/sell that material
What directions of the compass are most active outside of 0,0?
Information unclear, or classified. probably both. ;) inspect the rocks. it will tell you if someone has been there before you (low mineral resources only)

Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: