Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 16, 2024, 12:44:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Converter Module  (Read 4462 times)
Devonus
Private

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »

Considering the vast distances involved in this game, and the comparitivly slow mining rate, i think a module specificly desighned to convert fuel would be a great boon in the long run. As it stands right now, it takes alot of waste of relativly expensive materials just to have enough fuel to maneuver system to sytem. I can see this being a problem in the long run as limited rescources and planet space result in players being unable to mine thier own rescources to convert (due to the surface being controlled) and inability for players selling fuel to the open market to cost effectivly convert fuel (there is still no point to doing it if you can make it back to sol or alpha centauri, and since maneuvering so much does need so much fuel, i doubt anyone would be willing to sell the fuel they do convert, considering how much they lose in the proccess.)

So i reccomend a module that increases the efficiency of making fuel, maybe work only specificly with certain cheap but flammable substances (oxygen hydrogen etc etc) It would give these minerals more of a purpose, while not allowing an over abundance of fuel, as of right now it takes 30 Hydrogen to make 10 fuel (thats with vip status mind you) in total a loss of 60 solars on that conversion. The losses get higher with more valuble minerals. By having a specific fuel module it would make providing fuel a profitable endeavor, and more worthwhile, allowing a greater freedom for travel by other players.

I reccomend using the cheaper minerals and gases, bc any relative bonuses (say 10% bonus to fuel production for fuel module) would cause an overabundance of fuel in my opinion.

Perhaps even simpler or more manageable would be a module that just produced fuel at a steady rate like a Mine or atmospheric converter? Perhaps only make it deployable in the atmosphere where it floats, collects atmospheric fuel gases, and converts it instantly to fuel at a more efficient rate? *shrugs* i just think its something we need both now and in the future, especially as we move outside locations with sol exchanges providing fuel cells.
Report to moderator   Logged
Heretic
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

as of right now it takes 30 Hydrogen to make 10 fuel (thats with vip status mind you) in total a loss of 60 solars on that conversion.

It may just be the material you are trying to use. I know that with Selenium, you get 4 fuel cells per 1 unit, and I'm sure there are even better ones out there. I agree that having a way to make our own fuel would be beneficial, but theres also other good ways of doing it now

“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened”
- D. Adams
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »

Yeah, or you can get a few m3 of Diamond when you start exploring, you get 58 m3 Fuel Cells from one cubic meter of Diamond.

I've been doing that, buying from Sol Commodity Exchange and then going exploring then just converting some of it as needed.

But of course I could see a module that you would be able to use from a ship, sort of like a solar panel module, so when you're just sitting with the ship at a planet / moon / belt this module could get some solar energy and convert it into Fuel Cells, that could work wouldn't be an issue, just some sort of mining from the ship in orbit...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:50:22 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Devonus
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »

still a loss of 650 solars though, just there there should be a way to explore/travel without having to lose money in the process. Well i mean lose money but not at an exponential rate/sacrifice by having fuel cell production being so unproductive and causing losses
Tony2x
Private

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »

go slower, it takes me 12hr sometimes of just flying..around 25+LY but i only use approx 150-200 F'cell  laugh
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:02:31 PM by Tony2x » Report to moderator   Logged

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: