Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 01:55:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Distance Price Adjustment  (Read 4982 times)
Sydney
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:10 AM »

Currently if i have a station i can offer the minerals im mining on the planet below for sale.

However there is little incentive to do so.

I propose that the buy/sell prce for resources have a distance modifier applied to them. That is the further away you are from SOL the more the resources are worth when trading between players.

This should be relatively simple to implement, a simple scalar modifier bassed on distance to SOL.

If set appropriately it could open up the opportunity for traders with economical ships to make a profit by buying resources at a distance and transporting them to SOL or to stations that are requesting them. ... potentially transporting fuel back out from sol to the outlying stations.

However it should be set so that the fuel costs for using a faster ship eat into the profit margin too much to make it a simple cash cow.

Im havent looked into it but i assume that there is no margin between the buy and sell prices, perhapes introducing a small one could enhance the trading effect without making it too easy to exploit.

Report to moderator   Logged

Syd Happens
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »

Yeah there's a thing like that for the Fuel distress resupply ship, but hm this margin should be less for players otherwise everyone would just call the fuel ship... will look into it thanks.

aTraveller
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »

I'd be against prices based on something as arbitrary as distance from Sol.

I'd be much more interested in either player-established auctions or buy/sell markets and let the players determine their own prices for things.

If you don't do that, balancing is going to become a nightmare.
Sheb
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:17 AM »

Yup, we need markets.

Epsilon Indi Mining Corporation Associate
Sydney
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:47:40 AM »

I think you will find that Emi has fixed prices to stop players using player set prices to transfer funds from one account to another.

If we can set the buy/sell price ourselves then some players will start farming Newbie's or Alt's for cash. and using the market to transfer cash by selling nickel at $1500/m for example.

But i think we need some way of adjusting the fixed prices to reflect the real cost. Essentially the further you are from SOL the more valuable the resources are that you dont have. Since you will either have to invest time in finding a source and mining it or you will have to return to SOL to buy it.

Syd Happens
Sheb
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »

There is some truth in that. It should be easy enough to detect people farming alt though.

Epsilon Indi Mining Corporation Associate
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: