Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 19, 2024, 04:10:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Crew as a Resource  (Read 5063 times)
Sydney
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:26:10 AM »

At the moment one of the limiting factors to expanding into space is the availability of manpower to crew modules.

We can manufacture new modules, but have no-one to crew them. It means that all of us need to assign one ship that regularly returns to SOL and picks up a whole gaggle of new civilians to crew our modules.

It would be an interesting option if we could install living quarters on our stations and then offer the crew in them for 'sale' at the station, or also as potentially to 'buy'

This would open up a new job opportunity for captains, transporting crew and potentially other supplies out to the areas under development. see also my other thread regarding a distance price modifier.
Report to moderator   Logged

Syd Happens
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

Ok, well we have prisoners of war that occupy 1 m3 each, I think we can convert 1 m3 into cabins and just transport crew from place to place in the cargo pay, call them "Trained civilians" and "Trained marines".

So that would provide the option to convert cargo space into cabins and unload your crew as passengers in the cargo bay, or get the passengers at the SOL Commodity exchange and then when you want you can incorporate them in the crew.

If you want to get rid of them, you can only leave them off at Earth or pay a transport fee of 1 solar / passenger.

Now if you have the Living Quarters on the station, then you can just unload the crew as passengers into the cargo hold, and now you can offer them for hire at a markup.

the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »

another idea is t make a habitation unit with when deployed on planets or stations they will operate to make new crew with more crew being made the more habitable the planets turn out to be.
sargas
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »

I still wanna be able to space pirates (or at least, let me covert them to fuel)...
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 03:32:37 AM »

So the basic idea is to breed human to create new humans?  Is someone forgetting about childhood and such.  Poor kids forced to work on ships. Fact is a lot of people will need to return to Sol eventually at some point anyways. Either to sell loot, sell resources they mined, pick up more passengers and so on.  Don't get me wrong the idea of being able to mate crew members and start new families isn't a bad idea. But to keep with the realism of the game, I think the spawn rate of such crewmen before they are actually of any use should be slow.
norill
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

just a little suggestion - i would love to be able to assign personnel to modules one by one, not just using the buttons for 0%, 50% and 100% crew
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

just a little suggestion - i would love to be able to assign personnel to modules one by one, not just using the buttons for 0%, 50% and 100% crew

I think that is something we would all like.  Keep the selection things there too but add an option to let us type in the number.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: