Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 07:54:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Planetary attack bug  (Read 5449 times)
Lovelace
Private

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:32:58 PM »

Attack planetary forces and move away, jump back, and you can immediately open fire; get a combat  report, but nothing has changed; you did not attack the planetary force at all.
Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »

My favorite bug happened to me the day before I joined OX. I have been trying to get Scion. On Mercury I had the timer go down but didn't notice he flew away. I clicked open fire.  Of course there was nothing to attack. I saw him there again later on. I click attack. It instantly attacked him. It was his weaker ship of course. The ship fled. Didn't drop anything though.  Still it instantly attacked. Which I knew had to be a bug. I doubt I am the only one to experience this one. The next day Scion finally accepted my application to OX. lol
Sydney
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:45:04 AM »

its pretty clear that this is just a side effect of how the attack records are created and removed.

When you initiate an attack an entry in an attacks table is created. The only time a check is made to see if a specific attack is still valid is displaying your current attack list. So If neither party looks at their attack lists then the attack record has never been deleted, so the next attack just completes the first one.

so a rapid attack only works if both sides dont look at their attacks tab.

Cant see any easy way around this other than a regularly scheduled script to check that all 'old' attacks are still valid.

Syd Happens
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

Please also note that on larger fleet engagements the attack timer gives time to both attacker and defender to bring in reinforcements.

Some ships may leave while others may come, changing the odds of victory just how it would happen in a real battle.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »

Please also note that on larger fleet engagements the attack timer gives time to both attacker and defender to bring in reinforcements.

Some ships may leave while others may come, changing the odds of victory just how it would happen in a real battle.

There still needs to be some way to decrease this timer as well. Perhaps with higher level combat drives.  Maybe create a module for for sensor jamming or something. The attack times are just too long at times. Especially when you are attacking a player who is offline. Not to mention reinforcements are either going to need really good engines or already be close by to join in on the battle to help out.  In most cases it would just be better for the defender to just jump out. Which they got way too much time to do in sometimes. Too much time to even be realistic.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: