Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 04:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 13 November: Big update, new attack options, NPC improvements, etc.  (Read 9444 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »

- Combat system: added "Loot & plunder" and "Capture / Destroy" attack options when attacking a station / planetary force
   -> Looting is done by the ship / station that defeated the enemy unit, provided enough cargo space is available.
   -> Different units can loot different enemy units. For best strategy / loot chance, use specific ship setups.
   -> If attacker selected loot attack type, only the attacker fights to loot. The defener will fight to destroy the attacker units. Thus the attacker get 15 HP to marines, 5 HP to trained personnel if he uses stations / planetary forces in the attack.

Loot & plunder (selected by default)

Marines will fortify to 9 HP each, Trained civilians 3 HP

Mining / harvester facilities extracted fill rate amount will be looted.
Stations cargo holds will be looted.

Only military units / weapons fight and take casualties.
Some of the defender military personnel will survive and re-group after the attack.

Civilian personnel will only engage if the planetary / station unit is at least two times more powerful then the attacker unit, if not they surrender the goods / resources and nothing will be destroyed.

Capture / Destroy

Marines will fortify to 15 HP each, Trained civilians 5 HP

Capture vs Destroy chance 50% / 50%
Wreckage from station and modules destroyed in minerals and gases.
Only 25% chance of looting each station cargo, due to being destroyed.

Takes 2x time to position / initiate the attack. All defender units will fight to the death.

- Ship / station scanning: Hidden the MK ?, Utility ???, Value ??? in ship / station scan mode. It gets revealed on scan.

- Weapons: minor hits do more damage, critical hits do less damage. Same weapons damage overall but more closer to the average. 75%-125% instead of 50%-150%. Applies to both weapons and boarding attacks.

- Combat speed is chance based on the two ships speeds. For example if ship A=7.5 km/s and ship B=2.5 km/s, then ship A will fire first more times then ship B, but ship B also has a chance depending on the speed. 75% for A, 25% for B in the above case.
   -> if ship does not have combat engines, it gets 0.25 km/s speed

- Combat missions:
   -> Fixed an issue where more ships would spawn in the combat mission, when there was supposed to be one. Future combat missions will be against multiple ships / stations, planets.
   -> Enemy ships in combat missions will try and match the player ship combat speed, within limits. Sometimes they will give up some weapons to do this, so they can match the player and make it more challenging.

- Corporation max members fee is now increasing by 100k for each additional member space, rather then exponential. Corps that payed more will be reimbursed in the group fund.

- fixed planet showing modules on Menu->Planets even though some have been lost in combat. Fixed it so it deducts when modules are lost in battle.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:34:07 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:10:25 AM »

Thankyou for the big update.

Will test it out over the coming weeks.

I like the additional update to the combat missions, its about time that the NPC pirates figured out that they can also carry a CDR. Should make the combat missions a little more interesting, and less like playing 'I win'.
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »

Working on some more NPC AI / ship equipment of NPC pirate / combat missions.

I am monitoring the NPC battles now and working on their tactics.

You'll face different ships equipped in different ways, and there will also be missions to strike against stations / bases on planets, etc. with great rewards including upgraded modules, etc. Raiding / plundering NPC facilities, and an alien hostile civilization soon 1

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »

I know this should go on "suggestions" or somewhere else, but the fact that ships retreat automatically when taking 25% (or 10%) dmg is kind of silly, and i'll tell u why, i was eager to use my new ship (a real piece of crap, 3 functional rails, 3 unmanned shields, 1 osmium armor and the usual things to make it travel, no CDR at that time), then i took a COM mission and go for it, my ship wasn't exactly ready for real combat as u can see, but the pirate ship got only on 23k+ total power, and all their weapons were vipers, so he got more manpower and a lot more "weapons rounds" than me, but after the second shot the pirate retreat, the thing is if that pirate just stay there and take the 3ยบ shot i'll run out of weapons while he could shot me freely and probably win the battle.

So to end this wall of text i'll only suggest to set a "retreat % bar or somethinglikethat" on manual, so we can choose how much damage we want to take instead our ship decide bravely when to go to the safe spot... and NPC pirates shouldn't retreat until 290% dmg, that'll make things interesting (300% dmg = stations/mines destroy point right?)

Yeah the thing is Vipers are crap at defense, if you get a good shoot in they are done for. That's why there needs to be armor to soak up the damage, while the weapons fire away. Once the NPC ships get more power you'll see they switch to lasers or railguns, those do a much more punch and aren't so prone to retreating.

Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »

Yeah the thing is Vipers are crap at defense,

Interestingly i disagree with you here ;)

Weapons in General are pretty bad at defence, That is after all what Shields and Armour is for.

However Vipers with their 500 crew members provide significantly more HP to your ship than does a Laser or Railgun. So actually they improve your ships ability to take damage more than any other weapon available.  12

doesnt mean i install vipers over railguns though, weapons are, after all, not there for their defensive abilities.

I would like Kerbos's suggestion if it was somehow linked into a Crew Moral System. However i think that is probably way beyond the level of complexity that is being modeled in this game.

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:21:10 AM »

Yeah, I meant Vipers generally do poorly in NPC combat ships, Laser / Rails work better.

In time, we will build on it I guess and maybe have crew morale too 1

Anyways, a new combat mission is in the works, named "Blow up the pirate's nest"
You'll be sent to destroy a station protected by 3-5 ships 1
This one has a 50k minimum power.

Yeah the thing is Vipers are crap at defense,

Interestingly i disagree with you here ;)

Weapons in General are pretty bad at defence, That is after all what Shields and Armour is for.

However Vipers with their 500 crew members provide significantly more HP to your ship than does a Laser or Railgun. So actually they improve your ships ability to take damage more than any other weapon available.  12

doesnt mean i install vipers over railguns though, weapons are, after all, not there for their defensive abilities.

I would like Kerbos's suggestion if it was somehow linked into a Crew Moral System. However i think that is probably way beyond the level of complexity that is being modeled in this game.

Tumppi
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »

Still capture & destroy more rewarding than trying to loot & plunder?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5152875/astro-looting-sucks.png
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

Still capture & destroy more rewarding than trying to loot & plunder?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5152875/astro-looting-sucks.png

Just depends if there is actually anything there to loot.  Sometimes if you can find a lone mine, you can loot it, then attack it and either take it over or destroy it. Destroying it can give you some additional profit. Though not a lot. Still better then nothing.
Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:32 AM »

In this case the modules were either cleared by the defender (a smart move) prior to the attack, or they have already depleated all of the assigned resource on that planet.

In this case i assume the former since the defender had a ship in orbit.

Only when the assigned resource is fully depleated does a capture/destroy attack make sense.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »

Only when the assigned resource is fully depleated does a capture/destroy attack make sense.

There is always the possibility that someone just wants to act like a butthole and destroy it. lol
Sydney
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »

Working on some more NPC AI / ship equipment of NPC pirate / combat missions.

I am monitoring the NPC battles now and working on their tactics.

You'll face different ships equipped in different ways, and there will also be missions to strike against stations / bases on planets, etc. with great rewards including upgraded modules, etc. Raiding / plundering NPC facilities, and an alien hostile civilization soon 1

This would be good, particularly the bit about making the NPC's a bit more variable

I took a look at a COM mission the other day, the hijacker turned out to be a weakly defended one hit wonder. Almost all of its power was devoted to a single weapons module.

Ok so now people cannot artificially inflate their power and thus the mission returns with nukes and massive tactical advantages. but with an appropriately fitted ship this opponent posses absolutely no threat at all, even if they do get the first shot off.

I still think a good alternative to trying to use a variety of hard coded NPC ships is to use player created ships as a template.

Syd Happens
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: