Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 25, 2024, 07:24:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How fast engines do you guys have?  (Read 7008 times)
Tumppi
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »

i am now using 2x Wormhole Generator Mk XX and can run 10 Ly 48 min 19 sec... 345 fuel is it too much?
Report to moderator   Logged
Morgwen Dubhspiriag
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »

I don't know.  Someone told me that the higher the drive, the higher the fuel cost.
So, if space is not an issue, you may want to see what 4 Mk X's will do on cost.

The benefits do stack and should reduce your fuel costs a good %.
GoodPerson
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »

i have one FTL mk L and one WHG mk XXIX
It already fast enough for me

35 + 3 + 42 = 100
Want a proof?
Try manufacture FTL Drive mk 1

Before knowing this, i always thought mass won't change no matter what you do......
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »

The more drives the higher the fuel cost to travel to. It might be a little cheaper to just use a single drive that is higher level then multiple smaller level drives. I haven't actually checked though.
norill
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

The more drives the higher the fuel cost to travel to. It might be a little cheaper to just use a single drive that is higher level then multiple smaller level drives. I haven't actually checked though.
when it comes to fuel usage there is no difference between many low-level modules and one high-level module. only thing that matters is overall speed. the formula is simple: fuel = distance * speed
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »

when it comes to fuel usage there is no difference between many low-level modules and one high-level module. only thing that matters is overall speed. the formula is simple: fuel = distance * speed

Your own formula shows right there that there is a difference in fuel cost from higher level modules and lower.  Higher level modules are faster. There for they use more fuel.   So say 2 MK 1's have the same speed as a MK 9.  I am guessing the same fuel cost there. So then you ask yourself. Which do you need more? To use that module space for an additional engine or do you want to use it for something else. For me that is something else.  Especially when it comes to smaller ships.
Morgwen Dubhspiriag
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »

So, if space is not an issue, you may want to see what 4 Mk X's will do on cost.

13 Repeating meself first

As to overall costs, get 2 of the Mk 10s.  Install them look at your speed and simulate
a jump.  Do the same w/1 Mk 20.  Compare the total cost/saving and room need then,
you can make a valid decision. -- Each decision naturally, will be based upon the players
need for a particular speed vs space.
Sydney
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:39:09 AM »

Its worth noting that although 2 x Mk10 cost the same to produce as 1 x Mk 20 they provide more speed than it. To be exact its 6.5 times the base speed of a single Mk1. the Mk20 gives 5.75 times the base speed.

If norills formula is correct then because they are faster they will use more fuel.

Personally i like to use multiple drives, so that allocating crew allows me greater flexibility in terms of fuel usage. In a large ship space is significantly less of an issue.

Syd Happens
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »

Its worth noting that although 2 x Mk10 cost the same to produce as 1 x Mk 20 they provide more speed than it. To be exact its 6.5 times the base speed of a single Mk1. the Mk20 gives 5.75 times the base speed.

If norills formula is correct then because they are faster they will use more fuel.

Personally i like to use multiple drives, so that allocating crew allows me greater flexibility in terms of fuel usage. In a large ship space is significantly less of an issue.

I might be starting to do this now that I upgraded my Hydra to a Titan. First though I need to add more advance shields. You can never have too many of them. lol
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: