Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 06:13:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Quick tips and tricks  (Read 17322 times)
the_king
Private

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »

This is just a place where you can share quick tips and tricks with the rest of the community.

So here are mine

When entering orbit of a planet or moon make sure you set to jump to a new place a fast as you can it saves time and may save your cargo if there is a pirate there.

Next when you enter a system set your next jump to a new system at once, again it be help full to be able to escape quickly and save a lot of time when compared to doing it at the end of whatever your doing there.

Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:01 PM »

Good advice but common knowledge among a lot of us. Shows you got some smarts though which is good.  Though i will say when entering a new system, you don't have to worry about pirates until you leave the safe zone. So if jumping from system to system, you are safe. Though it is good to set your new course so you can move on to the next quicker.
the_king
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:25:22 AM »

Still putting all of this in one place will help any one new to the game, and may keep them from rage quitting.

Now More Tips

When mining look at the price for what your bringing out of the ground/air and extract the most expensive our you can.

On that same note don't start mining until you can put some defenses up because people will try to steal it.   

WolfDoc
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »

When mining look at the price for what your bringing out of the ground/air and extract the most expensive our 

Not 100 true, it's what u can mine the "fastest"/most effectively at the highest cost, if ur not mining effective enough not maxing ur profits
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »

I've seen at least 6 ppl who started before me in this game an some of them are still trying (b1tching + whining + crying + frustrated = quit + insult game and/or Emi) to finish the SEA, there's no secret-master tip that could help ppl in a game, not this one or any other, facts are simple: You think or u don't.

If u choose the first then u'll spend some time digging forum/FAQs and TESTING by yourself any limit u can imagine the game could reach. The pathetic excuse for not doing some research by ur own saying "i have a life" is never a valid excuse, if u're playing that means u have time, plus u're playing trough internet wich means that u have every tool u can need to understand anything, from translators (if english is not ur native language) to google or even simple exponential calculators.

I'll have to disagree with you JamJulLinson, if basic things where common knowledge then u wouldn't get so much target practice in SOL, so i'll point out a few stupid mistakes that i've seen:

1.- Follow the SEA STEP by STEP (surprisingly many ppl fail over and over again), sell the f*****g lab and the mif once u're done with it, u don't need it.
2.- Don't deploy mines on SOL and expect to see it by tomorrow.
3.- Don't build LABs if u can't afford upgrades.
4.- Don't insult SirEmi and the game, the fact that there's a top rank with ppl on it means ppl can succeed, if u can't u're the only one to blame (here's when stupidity meets frustration)
5.- There's an advantage between donators and free players, everyone knows it, but it's thanks to ppl who donate that we (free players) can play and it DOESN'T MEAN DONATE = SUCCEED (i'm a free player).
6.- READ!!!!! for f**k sake it doesn't hurt.
7.- It's a game, remember it.
8.- It's a strategy game, that means u have to think ur moves and be smarter than ur opponent, not necessarily stronger.
9.- Don't be a boaster-foul-mouth, if u think u're better than someone else probe it
10.- Don't do the same mistake twice, if ur station has been atacked at 30 LY from SOL build a new one on the opposite side or further
11.- Don't mine Iron, seriously WTF, i've attacked some MIFs at 100 LY from SOL and retrieve iron... WTF!

That's all i can remember for now.

I thought it would be common knowledge and common sense to set your courses sooner. It was something I realized immediately when I got out of the SOL academy.

1. I agree with this one. I did deviate slightly but only for some extra transport missions. It still only took me 2 days to finish.

2. I partially agree with this one. Don't deploy mines in Sol unless you are sure you can protect them. Even then there are still likely to be people who can beat you and look/destroy/take over your mines.

3. I disagree on the labs. More modules is typically better. In the beginning upgrading the science labs isn't much of an option and you need the labs to get research points for more.

4. I agree. Complaining or running your mouth to him won't do any good and it isn't right. I only started recently and I am ranked 10th. Though I have powered down some of my ships since then so I expect that rank to drop. Don't put to much emphasis on rank. It is bases on the combined power of your ships and stations. Still the game is pretty easy to learn and not hard to play. Anyone who uses their brain shouldn't have many problems.

5.Yes there is. For the most part it isn't that big of a deal. I don't mind pay players being able to upgrade their ships and stuff faster due to getting money easier. Though I still have a problem with being able to use QP to speed up attack time. 1 QP = 1 hour taken off. Most people who donate who have no problem with doing this, are going to do that regardless if a QP is worth more now then it was before. Especially if it means being able to take down some powerful enemy station without interference by their ships which might be nearby. I got no problem with an advantage but that there is too much and I know there are other players who agree with me. Actually when I asked you about it in the game if I recall you said it was imbalancing. lol

6. I agree. Some people don't bother to take the time to actually look over things. I actually poured my way through the forums trying to absorb as much information as I could when i first started.

7.  I agree completely.

8. Very true. It is one of the reasons why some people dislike some of us pirates.  Some of us actually use our brains and it irritates people that we can be a pest but they can't see to catch our ships. lol

9. I think you mean prove it. Not probe it lol.  But I do agree with you.

10. Another good piece of advice. One that even some of the more experienced players don't seem to do sometimes.

11. The only time I would say it is ok to mine iron or another practically worthless resource is if you can mine it in bulk. Such as on a large planet or asteroid belt. Of course then you will need a crap load of mines and make sure that the mines are well protected. A space station really comes in handy for auto unloading the resources out of the mines.  Of course to do this you need to become a VIP. It is pretty worth it though and saves a lot of time.

12. This one is a bit of my own advice. If someone attack you don't run your mouth off to them. Your just going to make enemies that way and the more enemies you have, the harder it will be on you. Especially if your a miner. What you can do instead if message them and write them a friendly message. Joke around with them and be friendly. You can actually make new friends this way.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:05:10 AM »

Use a ship to mine small moons with rare resources by dropping expendable mining facilities on small moons with diamonds, radon, xeon etc.
Hang around a star and do the combat missions for that star, usually the closest combat missions to the star, while waiting for the mining facilities to load up on the rare stuff.

Remember, the smaller the moon / planet, the higher chance you'll find some rare stuff on it.

Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »

I've seen at least 6 ppl who started before me in this game an some of them are still trying (b1tching + whining + crying + frustrated = quit + insult game and/or Emi) to finish the SEA, there's no secret-master tip that could help ppl in a game, not this one or any other, facts are simple: You think or u don't.
I've played 2.5 months. I think it's long enough to show I've got over a lot of initial humps. Graduated long time ago. I think not everyone can tolerate what I can or you can or the average Jo in this game can. Doesn't mean they can't think. They just don't have the patience or the tolerance to go through the motions we do.

What motions? Read below.

The game is weird sometimes. Like how minerals "go into" mining facilities. They actually don't. The listed amount on the mining facility available for unloading is actually just a claim to the deposit. Once you "unload" you're rewarded the claim. The facility never actually stored the mineral or gas.

The UI is also somewhat cluttered or confusing sometimes. Like whne you transfer to another ship you have to select it, but the way in which it's shown and works is kind of confusing - or was for me the first few times.

The game is also very technical and doesn't list things. What do I mean by technical? I mean numbers can mean the difference between success and failure. It's not just one number, it's many numbers. Do you have enough cargo room for something? Do you have enough aluminum to manufacture what you want? What MK level will you manufacture at? Do you have enough personnel in your living quarters to keep the rest of your facilities going if any personnel or lost or you want to transfer some to a mining facility? Do you have enough fuel cells? On and on. And then there's the "doesn't list things" part. It doesn't tell you what minerals you'll find in a system, so you have to go there and find out. You have to go to each planet. And it doesn't show you where your thigns are on the system screen. If you click on Planets it just shows you how many "things" are on each one. You end up having to write these things down either separately in documents or using the in-game Notepad functionality.

I am of course fine with all the thigns above. I've enjoyed hte game so far immensely. But I know even if this game was as spreadsheet I might play it. Hell, it could require I write c++ to control ships and I might still play. I played Dwarf Fortress, A TEXT GAME THAT KILLS YOUR DWARVES CREATIVELY, and I had a lot of fun - so much I wanted to mod it. I've also enjoyed some text-based MUDs over the years. I like survival games.

(And I wouldn't eliminate the possibility some people experience browser bugs.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:31:43 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »

I am also enjoying the game immensely. It's not for everyone, but it's very fun! Do you have a good corp yet, Antilak? I think that's key to enjoying the game, finding a good group of people. I have a lot more fun in the game bragging to my friends in SSS and getting help from our leader.  laugh

mea navis aƫricumbens anguillis abundat

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:21 AM »

Antilak what's your ingame name again?  I tried searching but no luck on finding it.  Irredrache is right being in a corp can make it better and more fun. That said TGE is always recruiting and we would love to have you with us if you want to join.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »

(insert shameless commercial plug here):

EoS is recruiting.

You will be well treated by any corporation out here.  The only drawback is that the top corps are at war with IMG (however, you could learn a lot from them at IMG as well).
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

laugh

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 01:38:15 AM »

I just found out this one today and I been playing a long time. It's very cool. Go to the Star Map and click on the (-)/(+) and/or change the zoom level. If you zoom out you can see all the quadrants and all the stars you've explored. You can also see all the ships you have in interstellar space. Crazy I never tried clicking on those before today.

I guess not too much is lost, since early on I only had a couple ships and hadn't seen much. Right now I got 4. I do a lot of mining and I have to know what I've surveyed to keep my miners busy. The zoom feature gives me a wonderful highlevel view.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:42:24 AM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 03:59:43 AM »

Ha I didn't notice that either. Now I realize that despite having explored Tau Ceti, Sirius, Alpha Centauri and a bunch of other systems, I'm still far from exploring everything. I wonder how raphael is doing 13

But I did explore some stars about five squares away from Sol and the systems around Sol thanks to an 'unknown' event that turned out to be a wormhole and got my ship stranded in some Zelta planet until I earned enough money for a fuel distress call. LOL.

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »

Madden, here's another one: Did you notice the small green/red numbers attached to each planet/moon entry in the System Scans screen? For a red/green color blind person it's hard to see sometimes. Given I am red/green color blind, I can usually see it, but sometimes I zoom in (which is easy enough with an addon and using ctrl+ and ctrl-). Anyway, the green number is the first one and it represents YOUR units. It'd be a lot easier if our units were in some way showed on the System screen, but at least there's a comprehensive (and convenient) way to see where our units are, although it doesn't distinguish unit type. I never looked at the two numbers long enough until a few days ago. That's when I finally realized the green number represents my units.

Personally, I like hte System Scan method more than the Planets method, for finding my units in hte current system. Of course, if I want to find out where my units are in other systems quickly, the Planets screen is quickest. However, I wish the Planets screen would organize each entry according to the system and also say what the units are.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:21:52 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »

it would be nice to have more in-depth information available in the Planets menu.

As of now, it only shows from the eldest on and I would like to be able to sort by any column (Action   Location   Distance   Quadrant   #Modules).

It would also be nice to have a LR jump button added to the 'Action' column.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: