Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 05:55:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lovelace  (Read 4086 times)
Lovelace
Private

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »

Well met, fellow players.
I'm Lovelace, and I've had this handle for over 20 years on various online games. Back in 1991, when WWW did NOT exist, there only were text-based games, MUDS, and MUSHes (multi-user dungeon, multi-user-shared-hallucination) games, all coded in C++.
I've been playing since then. I coded my own muds, i let robots roam around killing player characters when they failed to go n,s,w,e, u,d, in time. They drank their coffee and ate their muffins and emptied their bags whenever they met a shop. This, too, is a MUD. Yes, you have a visual interface, but nothing has changed. The map you see, are coordinates. It's all just a text-based game. But you did not realize that. That is okay, that is fine, but I hope I made you think twice about the generation you would call old farts. We invented this poop. We coded it. You still have to prove you can do better.
Report to moderator   Logged
Heretic
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »

Erm, hello there! Welcome to the game 1 actually I did realize this was text-based.. All I play is text based as I do not have a device capable of flash. But anyways.. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:39:44 PM by Heretic » Report to moderator   Logged

“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened”
- D. Adams
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »

I checked out some MUDS and MUSHES back around 2001-2002. Couldn't really get into them though. Still nice that we got an old school text computer gamer here. Even if you took your time posting on the forum lol.
sargas
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »

Well met, fellow players.
I'm Lovelace, and I've had this handle for over 20 years on various online games. Back in 1991, when WWW did NOT exist, there only were text-based games, MUDS, and MUSHes (multi-user dungeon, multi-user-shared-hallucination) games, all coded in C++.
I've been playing since then. I coded my own muds, i let robots roam around killing player characters when they failed to go n,s,w,e, u,d, in time. They drank their coffee and ate their muffins and emptied their bags whenever they met a shop. This, too, is a MUD. Yes, you have a visual interface, but nothing has changed. The map you see, are coordinates. It's all just a text-based game. But you did not realize that. That is okay, that is fine, but I hope I made you think twice about the generation you would call old farts. We invented this poop. We coded it. You still have to prove you can do better.

"generation you would call old farts"  why, you young whippersnapper <<yeah, I know, but I was an old fart first.  I hit 'Old Fart' at 50 and then 'Geezer' at 60, and I have been an 'Old Coot' for 23 months now>>

"I'm Lovelace, and I've had this handle for over 20 years"  I have been sargas since the mid-70's (and have been computer literate since 1965)...

...transmission ends...

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: