Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 07:04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ships / Carriers / Docking  (Read 27558 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:58:26 AM »

This project will introduce ship to ship docking / freight exchange and carrier capabilities.

Each ship hull will have a m3 size. Any ship will be able to hold another ship in the cargo bay area, provided there is enough space in the ship to hold the hull of the other ship plus any additional cargo it may be carrying.

This will enable one to dock multiple ships at a larger ship then jump the larger ship, effectively saving up fuel and making a carrier.

Report to moderator   Logged

Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

Cool
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

Very nice.  Does this mean we will be able to dock and trade with other people's ships as well?
sargas
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

interesting, I kinda like it...

...giggle...
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »

Very nice.  Does this mean we will be able to dock and trade with other people's ships as well?

Ship to ship trading between players will be available too, in a separate action, most likely "open trade negotiations".

Trade window will feature a chat and a trade screen where each party will show merchandise and discuss the trade.

Trade restrictions will apply as set by the SOL Corporation, that is in direct trade resources and modules have to be traded at default market value, so trading a module worth 1000 solars with require 1000 solars in resources, other modules or solars.

For trading of markup modules, ships, etc. the SOL auction will be used.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »

Very nice.  Does this mean we will be able to dock and trade with other people's ships as well?

Ship to ship trading between players will be available too, in a separate action, most likely "open trade negotiations".

Trade window will feature a chat and a trade screen where each party will show merchandise and discuss the trade.

Trade restrictions will apply as set by the SOL Corporation, that is in direct trade resources and modules have to be traded at default market value, so trading a module worth 1000 solars with require 1000 solars in resources, other modules or solars.

For trading of markup modules, ships, etc. the SOL auction will be used.

I really don't like this.  It restricts a lot what can be traded.  Since it is ship to ship we should be able to trade how we want.  If it is implemented the way you have said then I don't see anyone trading this way.  Chances are many of us will just continue to trade the way we have been. Setting up stations with what we want to give the other person in the station's cargo bay.  Then they do the same with us.  Something to keep in mind is while Sol may have a set price on things, realistically in deep space people are going to want to set what they think something is worth. Say a high level wormhole gen. That might be worth a lot to one person but to another it might not be worth so much.   Still since we can pay in Solar, we might at least be able to buy some things. But I don't like this system you got in mind.   Another thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way with this is a lot of people just buy the resources to buy stuff.  So in that case the amount it might be worth by SOL in default could actually be less then what the person making the module spent. This is another reason we should be able to set our own prices. That way people can make modules and sell them to others for a profit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:28:10 PM by JamJulLison » Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »

We'll see how it goes, free trading may allow the economy to grow and prosper.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:20:14 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »

While testing the corporation ships, it appears that freight exchange will be possible with a corporation ship as intermediary.

How is works is a corporation captain moves a ship to a planet / moon / safe spot etc.

Then corp member #1 and #2 move to the same position. Corp ship command is transferred to member #1, then does a freight exchange between his own ship and the corp ship. Then corp ship command is re-assigned to member #2, that then can transfer from the corp ship into his own ship cargo. This freight exchange can be made anywhere in space.

So freight exchange will be possible, and I guess free trade will also be, where you will have a chat window and will be able to ask any price for your goods in the trade window.

There may come a time when Earth will no longer sell resources, just buy them at default price. Then, the captains can set their own prices and there may also be a market for different resources with auctions and stuff...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:01:27 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »

There may come a time when Earth will no longer sell resources, just buy them at default price. Then, the captains can set their own prices and there may also be a market for different resources with auctions and stuff...

When that happens the wars will begin over planets for mining. lol. Though then it will start to make having solars pointless except for the purpose of buying QP with them for VIP and officers.
simoncoetzer
Private

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 03:29:58 AM »

cool this sounds interesting lets see how it plays out then....
Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:37:56 AM »

sounds very interesting... note to self, buy all resources from sol before they are gone 1

But I can see a point where sol doesn't have an unlimited supply of resources. Would totally change how the game is played.

I can see one use for solars... Buying mods from the yet to come auction. Which without being able to buy resources at sol would make high mk level mods very desirable. It could really start an in game economy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:42:42 AM by Aysle » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »

sounds very interesting... note to self, buy all resources from sol before they are gone 1

But I can see a point where sol doesn't have an unlimited supply of resources. Would totally change how the game is played.

I can see one use for solars... Buying mods from the yet to come auction. Which without being able to buy resources at sol would make high mk level mods very desirable. It could really start an in game economy.

And of course with resources becoming more rare you can be sure more pirates will start appearing.  Especially when people start to become more desperate for resources.  I do worry about newer players though once this is added in.  Current players can get far away by just buying the resources and getting what they need made at a faster pace.  But new players now still struggle in the early stages.  If they can't buy resources it will become an even bigger struggle for them. At least now they can do transports for cash to get the upgrades they need.  So the slower pace for these newbies will make it even harder to catch up to those who have already been playing then it is now. Then as piracy starts to increase because the need for more resources, the newbies will suffer more. I personally plan on stopping raiding mines in Sol if this change is made. I likely will stop raiding in 0,0 all together.  Just because if new players can't progress at all, then they will likely just quit.  It is going to be frustrating as it is for them once this change is made. I don't want to see the game die. I will still attacks ships I see in Sol though. Just for the simple fact some of them may be pirates. So perhaps I might be able to keep pirating down in Sol.  If I decide to do any pirating myself after this change, I likely will just do it somewhere outside of 0,0.    In the meantime until then I am packing up my mines and doing the more profitable SOS escape pods and COM missions and get in as many upgrades as I can.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »

Well when resources become scarce there will be an opening for wares market / auctions. I expect the SOL auction to really pickup then, and there will be more missions, some of them paying in resources, so the idea is you gather what's more expensive and ferry it over to Earth and put it in auction, and people that need it will buy it.

So that makes a nice market for supply / demand, and you should be able to buy what you need for modules upgrades from SOL auction from other captains... of course some of it may be more rare, but there will be a few missions that will pay in the most common minerals and gases I guess. I doubt the new players will have a hard time, Sol will only get safer as we go, there will probably be more trading stations, maybe some police patrols too, for example a new possibility emerges with Corporation ships, a corp ship will engage any fight at a planet / moon where a corp member is under attack. Now on Sol and generally in 0,0 you can expect SOL corporation ships / police patrols to patrol the systems. This will make it harder for pirates to attack newbies.

Overall, it should make it more interesting for newbie players though, some resources may very well get to be really expensive and it will start a treasure hunt / gold rush 1

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »

Well when resources become scarce there will be an opening for wares market / auctions. I expect the SOL auction to really pickup then, and there will be more missions, some of them paying in resources, so the idea is you gather what's more expensive and ferry it over to Earth and put it in auction, and people that need it will buy it.

So that makes a nice market for supply / demand, and you should be able to buy what you need for modules upgrades from SOL auction from other captains... of course some of it may be more rare, but there will be a few missions that will pay in the most common minerals and gases I guess. I doubt the new players will have a hard time, Sol will only get safer as we go, there will probably be more trading stations, maybe some police patrols too, for example a new possibility emerges with Corporation ships, a corp ship will engage any fight at a planet / moon where a corp member is under attack. Now on Sol and generally in 0,0 you can expect SOL corporation ships / police patrols to patrol the systems. This will make it harder for pirates to attack newbies.

Overall, it should make it more interesting for newbie players though, some resources may very well get to be really expensive and it will start a treasure hunt / gold rush 1

You really have no idea how hard it is for newbies right now do you?  Pirating is heavy but it is down a bit from what it was. Mostly because of me a lot of people have left Sol and expanded outwards. But don't kid yourself newbie pirates are popping up all the time.  One guy I know that is a newbie had a guy who was still in newbie protection actually steal a mine of his that was on pluto and of course he couldn't take it back because the guy was still in protection.   Asides from pirates, getting the resources you need to become bigger is a slow process as you do transports.  You can't really do much in mining because stuff gets pirated.  Take away them resources they can buy and they are forced to mine to try to advance.  More newbies will become desperate for resources and likely turn to pirating. The whole reason I started pirating to begin with was because I wanted some extra resources to boost me along a little faster. I was bred in a calm environment even.  It will get worse. Since many newbie pirates are going to be in Sol for white a while it become their hunting ground. Other newbies will try to mine there for resources only to find mines raided daily. Sometimes have their mines taken over.  They might make it a little further out in 0,0. But the pirates eventually move to those areas as well when they discover what they can make there. Especially once mining becomes more essential.  Sol is going to become an even more dangerous place. Corps can only do so much to help. But it's not like they can always respond in time or even know a corp mate is being attacks. Many newbies themselves are still in Sol corp and there ain't jack to help them there. Especially considering that many of the newbie pirates are likely going to still be in Sol Corp themselves. That actually makes it worse since they can see if they are online or not.  Trust me Sol is likely to become an even more dangerous place.  If it isn't pirates, it will be people fighting over mining spots themselves in and around Sol.  It's not like they can really expand outward as much as the rest of us. So they become compressed in a smaller area. I imagine many will become frustrated and end up quitting the game.  As for patrol ships.  How do you expect them to stop the pirates? Are they going to auto respond to attacks in the ships that are in orbit around that area? If so then you may have newbies setting up somewhere in Sol only to go inactive and quit and no way to remove their mines since anyone that tries to attack them to clear them out would be attacked by the patrol ship. Only way to clear those out will be for us bigger players to come in and clear them out ourselves along with the patrol ships.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:16:16 AM by JamJulLison » Report to moderator   Logged
GoodPerson
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »

nice idea, but i found a problem :

Let's say i put ship A inside ship B, then put ship B inside ship C, and finally put ship C inside ship D
Ship D would only need enough cargo for ship C which carry 2 other ships
This can be exploited.....

35 + 3 + 42 = 100
Want a proof?
Try manufacture FTL Drive mk 1

Before knowing this, i always thought mass won't change no matter what you do......
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: