Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 03:08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Battle optimizations / updates  (Read 6944 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »

Battle optimization:
   -> weapons can only fire once in a battle, a ship that exhausted it's weapons can only use marines / personnel for the remainder of the battle
         - this enables smaller ships to swarm a bigger ship
         - to counter this, the bigger ship may have to distribute the attack power to more modules to have more shoots

-> marines / personnel can be sent to attack multiple times / battle. Marines / boarding get a boost because of this, making them more useful. Still more risky to have a boarding ship then a weapons platform ship, but more balanced now.

Laser & Railgun description and damage info updated in Science tree

Laser: +6000 attack weaponry, +33% efficiency vs. shields, -33% efficiency vs. armor
By focusing the light in a wide range of frequencies, the laser is able to penetrate the toughest shields. Armor tends to dissipate the heat from the laser, making it less effective. No delay in reaching the target makes the laser an impressive weapon.

Railgun: +12000 attack weaponry, -33% efficiency vs. shields, +33% efficiency vs. armor
The raw kinetic energy of a projectile accelerated close to the speed of light makes the rail gun an extremely powerful artillery weapon, devastating against armor. However, shields are effective at deflecting the rail gun projectiles.

- NPC combat improvements
   -> can spawn shields or armor boats
   -> can have lasers, railguns, vipers, different weapon numbers
   -> minimum power of Combat mission ship(s) is 12.5k power, making minimum pay around 25k solars

- Ships will have a default combat speed and dodge based on the hull size / type like this:

Speed(km/s) Dodge                          Hull
10        50%      Shuttle         II     
9         45%      Frigate         III     
8         40%      HeavyFrigate    IV       
7         35%      Cruiser         V       
6         30%      BattleCruiser   VI       
5         25%      HeavyCruiser    VII     
4         20%      LineShip        VIII     
3         15%      BattleShip      IX       
2         10%      Dreadnought     X       
1          5%      Leviathan       XI       
.25        0%      Titan           XII     

- Combat speed counts as 50*Combat Speed toward power rating instead of 500, so small ships don't have too much power due to the default hull speed.

- Armor rating counts as 2 Armor for 1 power point now, as armor is more harder to maintain with repairs and less effective because it doesn't regenerate after battle. Balances armor vs. shields.

- Ships can now dodge incoming weapons fire in battle. Dodge chance depends on the ship size.
   -> Boarding assault can never be dodged.
   -> Nukes can not be dodged.

Other:
- Nav computer
   -> can now order waypoints by name by clicking the name
   -> can order by an LY distance ascending or descending

- Rival planetary modules Mark, max personnel and utility info is now hidden

Bug fixes:
- SITREP, ship ordering active ship first, then ordered by ship id / purchase time
- science RP gain checked to display RP gains correctly
Report to moderator   Logged

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »

Looks like some COM ships will need to be redesigned. lol
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »

Looks like some COM ships will need to be redesigned. lol

Already done some updates there too:

- NPC combat improvements
   -> can spawn shields or armor boats
   -> can have lasers, railguns, vipers, different weapon numbers
   -> minimum power of Combat mission ship(s) is 12.5k power, making minimum pay around 25k solars

Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:48:54 AM »

I think the dodge % needs to be rethought, especially once ship optimizations happen. With that you could have a 75% chance of dodge which is just unrealistic. It has totally unbalanced coms missions. Waiting 8 hrs 2x to tackle a coms mission is just crazy. I had one mission where they dodged nearly 50% of the time with only a 35% chance. I can imagine how much worse it would get with a higher dodge %.

To be realistic, a laser attack (speed of light) would be d**n hard to jump out of the way. Still need to open the wormhole and pilot in, that would take more time then the laser would to reach you. Same goes with rails. With vipers...it makes more sense.

Maybe the dodge should be more of a your ship gets either grazed or missed thing... say 70/30 weighted to being grazed. If it takes 8 hours to move into position to attack then you are pretty close and attacks would be near instant...no chance to move.

The 1 shot per a battle also kinda sucks, why cant we shoot again? maybe less powerful? Not enough time for full recharge so we shoot less powerful. Right now with the changes I see the future as building a mix of shields & armor on a titan entirely filled with mk500 marines since they cant miss
Scion
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:27:35 AM »

Nice update.

Has there been any changes to how multiple ships fight? Ie do multiple ships line up single file to fight against a single target?
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:30:15 AM »

I think the dodge % needs to be rethought, especially once ship optimizations happen. With that you could have a 75% chance of dodge which is just unrealistic. It has totally unbalanced coms missions. Waiting 8 hrs 2x to tackle a coms mission is just crazy. I had one mission where they dodged nearly 50% of the time with only a 35% chance. I can imagine how much worse it would get with a higher dodge %.

To be realistic, a laser attack (speed of light) would be d**n hard to jump out of the way. Still need to open the wormhole and pilot in, that would take more time then the laser would to reach you. Same goes with rails. With vipers...it makes more sense.

Maybe the dodge should be more of a your ship gets either grazed or missed thing... say 70/30 weighted to being grazed. If it takes 8 hours to move into position to attack then you are pretty close and attacks would be near instant...no chance to move.

The 1 shot per a battle also kinda sucks, why cant we shoot again? maybe less powerful? Not enough time for full recharge so we shoot less powerful. Right now with the changes I see the future as building a mix of shields & armor on a titan entirely filled with mk500 marines since they cant miss

I admit the dodge is a bit out of control but for the most part I like it.  It is just annoying having to start a COM over again though just because they keep dodging like crazy.    BTW Aysle as for how they dodge. These I think have more to do with the Combat Missions then wormholes. The ship's maneuverability is what allows it to dodge.  Like it or not this is just more realistic.  Though dodging lasers does seem a bit of a stretch, considering it is done in pretty much every scifi out there, I can't see it as too big a deal. Perhaps they got sensors that help them to detect weapons lock and stuck and they maneuver out of the way just as our guys are pulling the trigger.   I do think for COMs this is the most annoying thing every. Though for regular battles I consider it a much needed improvement.

As for firing weapons only once per battle.  Yeah I don't really like that either.  If this dodge thing wasn't here it would be ok. But with dodge, I can't see any reason why these weapons wouldn't be able to fire more then once per battle.  Viper squadrens could easily have refueled and taken off again by that point. Lasers batteries should be able to be recharged or at least partially recharged by that point.  I can't just see the energy cells in them completely drying up after firing only once. As for Railguns. Considering ammo for them seems unlimited, I can't see a reason they can't be reloaded and fired again. If pirate ships could do it with cannons back in the day, I am sure it could be done here.    Smaller ships would still be able to swarm larger ones if this had been left in.  The smaller ships would have been dodging like crazy making it harder for the larger ships to even hit them.
GoodPerson
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »

I do like this updates overall, but the pirate dodge thing is too much
The Dodge thing made us want to use smaller ships, but at the same time force us use more weapons to compensate the pirate's dodge, thus demand bigger ship

the only fire once weapons is okay, although it won't have many use at this time

35 + 3 + 42 = 100
Want a proof?
Try manufacture FTL Drive mk 1

Before knowing this, i always thought mass won't change no matter what you do......
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:52:31 AM »

The use on pirates is growing even more annoying.  Just did 2 rounds with one ship.  Going to need a third. 
Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:02 AM »

I find it intersting that the pirates seem to dodge at or above the % rate while my ship has yet to dodge a single shot. (The one Im referring to has a 30% dodge rate)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:55:12 AM »

I find it intersting that the pirates seem to dodge at or above the % rate while my ship has yet to dodge a single shot. (The one Im referring to has a 30% dodge rate)

I have noticed the same thing.  I actually reduced my raiding ship down to a battlecruiser for a better dodge rate. It was a battleship. After upgrading some of the cargo bays and getting rid of the others I discovered it had just as much power and cargo space as before. Then upgraded the shields.  I took it on a maiden run through Sol the other day. I encountered a few enemy ships that were able to fire back a little.  I didn't really find them dodging my lasers and i wasn't dodging theirs.  Though I am certain had this been an enemy pirate ship it would have been dodging like crazy.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: