Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 02:55:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for startup advice  (Read 7587 times)
Xenephon
Private

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:46:07 AM »

Hi there, I started a few days ago now and am struggling to get going.

I can afford one more asset, either a 5th ship or a decent sized station and am wondering what people would advise.  I know I can keep a ship safe, either at Earth or at a safe point, but the station has so many more slots.

My weapons tech is virtually non-existant, so protection on the station would be limited.

Thoughts?

Xenephon
Report to moderator   Logged
GoodPerson
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:40:52 AM »

Don't invest in station.
Do transport mission in sol and save up until you can create a cargo ship with 20k cargo
After that, you can fill up your ship with fuel and medicine and start going far from sol (make sure your whg already can go 16 LY in 2 hours). The further from sol, the better is sos mission
If you want to grow faster, join a corp. They will usually give you a well designed corp ship, but you must repay with activity. My corp still have member slot 1
Or you might join stronger PMI.

GoodPerson,

Leader of New Horizon Corporation

35 + 3 + 42 = 100
Want a proof?
Try manufacture FTL Drive mk 1

Before knowing this, i always thought mass won't change no matter what you do......
Xenephon
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »

Thanks for that reply.

From a practical consideration what Adv Cargo Bay & WHG Tech are we talking about here?

I currently have Adv Cargo Bay 1 & WHG 5.

Also, sounds like I should buy another ship hull and stuff it full of Labs  laugh

Xenephon
GoodPerson
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

It's better to invest in FTL first, moving between planet will become faster and will bring early money
Then WHG and finally adv. Cargo, it's slow at first, but in one month, you will grow like bamboo 1
Also, if you can promise to be active, top corp should welcome you. You will grow faster

35 + 3 + 42 = 100
Want a proof?
Try manufacture FTL Drive mk 1

Before knowing this, i always thought mass won't change no matter what you do......
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »

PMI is always looking for new members. If you have +20,000 points feel free to apply. You have 4 ships? Turn 1 into a science ship. I would give more advice but I am on my dsi right now.
sargas
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

yes, turn one of your ships into a science ship, park it in a safe spot (mine is in deep space ~5LY from SOL), turn another into a freighter (optimization)...
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »

dont optimize your ship too early. too costly for little return. optimization is the realm of the prosperous and affluent members. Ships are great but with bigger numbers become greater management issues. Decide what or why you would want a station in orbit to be used for. You state your weapon tech is non existent, so defence is ruled out. If you have VIP status then a station can be deployed as a mining drone to auto empty planetary mining/atmos modules which can save time and effort. Other uses of an orbiter is for science or storage of excessive equipment or cargo if you are a hoarder. Or as a status symbol when you are strong enough to stamp a name on a system and defend it. I would personally deck out a ship that did nothing but science and park it in a safe zone, 1 ship to run as a fuel/freighter/support ship, 2 ships equipped for combat missions. the 5th if you are into mining, a mining tender. With that many ships, get the heck away from sol and pick a quadrant out past the 0,0 and probably 1,1 ring and work on self-sufficiency for awhile. That is how i started, with only 3-4 vessels. Now i run a multi-member corporation empire with good, active members in less than 12 months. Decide which gaming style you like to play based on your level of activity and interest, and look to one of the several corporations out there. Piracy and pirate groups seem to be easiest way to get a start on in life, but there are other alternatives. I am testimony to that. I have never raided a fellow pilot out there unless they attacked me and was declared an enemy of mine, which formed my anti-piracy style gameplay. Currently there are 3 main corporation powers in the game, PMI, us [IMG] and NHC. I dont always advise going with the strength, make friends and chat with some of the aspiring other corps, join and rival the top corps (also what i did when i saw the daunting figures of the original 2 top corps). Naturally, joining 1 of the top 3 will help out in short term quick growth and development by knowing you have joined active corporations who can assist that rapid growth and support.
Dont worry Xenephon, at first things seem slow and the task of getting anywhere fast makes it seem quite a dull game, but that speed will build exponentially and one day you will be flat out keeping all your activities busy at once. Oh, word to the wise, dont waste any QP you may invest on frivolous things at first, just to hurry up a counter by an hour or so. Bide your time and be a bit patient. read the forums during counters and get a feel for who and what is out there. That was my one error early on in the game, where i probably didnt invest my QP well enough at the start.

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

Dadds everyone in top got here in less then 12 months. The game only came out in the fall of last year. lol. Still that is good advice. I didn`t join the first place corp when I joined. Which that was NHC at the times. I joined a smaller corp. Later on me and other people in smaller corps decided to merge and form PMI. Look at us now lol.
Xenephon
Private

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »

OK, I have done some reading (and bought another ship to house Science Labs).

I have two HF with ~2000 cargo that I am cycling through Interstellar commissions one per day each, and in my evening I am using one of my ships to run Intersystem commissions in Sol for chump change.

Every night I use the cash to upgrade all of my FTL and WHG drives one Mark (VI & IV today).  With any extra cash I am building Adv Cargo I, at least until I replace all the Std Cargo bays

Something other things I could use some help on: 

- Its seems that the only place to *buy* specific raw materials (from an NPC anyway) is Sol? 
- The only place to buy new ships & stations, or recruit personnel, is Earth?
- There are also no NPC colony/prospector commissions outside of Sol?

Once I move from Sol I am then looking at SOS and COM missions, or raiding, for cash, and mining for minerals to build things?  Does this about sum it up?

Xene
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:46 AM »

- There are also no NPC colony/prospector commissions outside of Sol?

There is one SOL Commodity trading station on a secret planet / moon / belt of of each of the stars in Quadrant 0,0.

This station will buy more or less goods / products such as medicines, food, electronics at a higher price and will sell fuel cells at a lower price.

If you can locate the stations, it's a good income opportunity for trade. The stations will resupply the sell / buy orders every 6 hours. Bigger stations buy more goods.

Xenephon
Private

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »

Yes, I found those already (in the forum, and in the actual systems), but thanks for the pointer.

Xene
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »

Once I move from Sol I am then looking at SOS and COM missions, or raiding, for cash, and mining for minerals to build things?  Does this about sum it up?
And yes, that does just about sum it up outside of sol. com/sos missions, raiding (if you bend that way to cheap easy profit. Be warned though, we peaceful miners are by necessity also pirate hunters. That sort of action will draw attention to you from us), and mining.
There are hints of other stuff happening out there also, new discoveries, star systems, wormholes(blackholes) alien technology. Basically exploration. Put in the hard yards of methodical searching and that can also be its own reward. Build up your database of known systems (to you) because most of the galaxy isnt mapped on regular comms channels with sol.

Private

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »

Well, my fleet is just about equipped, so I am heading out into the wilds in the next few days.  Got a ragtag fleet of fugitive ships and I am going to see what I can find out there.

Xene
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: