Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 04:08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ships FTL software improved  (Read 9159 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:48:05 AM »

The SOL Corporation has announced today the development of better FTL software for all ships.

Smaller ships will now get an interplanetary travel AU/second boost, due to small mass. Fuel Cost is not affected.

The AU/second boost is equal to ship hull Speed/1000. So a Shuttle will have +0.01 AU/second boost to the FTL drive.
FTL Drives still need to be installed. The boost is in the form of a tactical advantage depending on ship size.

All ships have been updated with the latest FTL drive software.

On other news, there is rumor of a new module called a "Hangar bay" in development.
It is said the hangar bay modules will be used to hold ships within the belly of mother ships.

Explore and discover! Only with SOL.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:04:22 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

sargas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:08 AM »

will the 'HANGER BAY' be an illegal (NPC)pirate module or is SOL developing it?

(edit because - I can't spell)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:13:05 AM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »

And will each mod hold one ship? or the mk of the mod decide how many ships it can hold? what about needing cargo space for the ships? As much info as we can get will help us plan / build for the future carriers to be ready to deploy them ASAP.

Also will ONLY the "Mothership" Optimization be capable of hold other ships or will all be able?
Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:11:31 AM »

It's a module, not an optimization...
Aysle
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:11 AM »

It's a module, not an optimization...

Yea but Im hoping it can go into any ship not just into a ship with the "Mother Ship" optimization...

its not entirely clear from what he said, talking about "the belly of a mother ship". Trying to get as much info as possible to build stuff in advance so when it comes out can use it right away (of course after researching/building the mod)

On other news, there is rumor of a new module called a "Hangar bay" in development.
It is said the hangar bay modules will be used to hold ships within the belly of mother ships.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »

The Hangar module will function like a ship cargo bay module, in fact it will be available in Science tree in the cargo bays category, after Adv Cargo Bay.

The Hangar modules can be installed on any ship, but mothership optimization will also give +75% more hangar bat space.

In order for a ship to dock, hangar bay need to be able to hold: Ship hull + hangar bay + cargo bay + other installed modules
The mother ship refers to the ship that is holding another ship into it's hangar bay.

Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »

In order for a ship to dock, hangar bay need to be able to hold: Ship hull + hangar bay + cargo bay + other installed modules
.....does a quick mental math calculation.....ok going to need a billion trillion cargo bay slot mothership to load my corp stuff...hmmmm where is Doctor Who and his T.A.R.D.I.S. when we need one.
I got lost at the point where hangar bay needed to hold its own hangar bay and looped into infinity there. My apologies. I am guessing if its on the science tree, that it will  have a capacity rating per Mark as does conventional cargo bays, and that more hangars = more ship storage. The equation i am guessing is: the packed hull size + cargo contents + (the number of modules X 100) per ship = the size of the hangar capacity required onboard?
I then agonize over the hangared-ship inside the hangared ship numbers and wonder if its even possible? i am also assuming the hangar bay requires no cargo bay to be installed to function.
Looking forward to seeing how this all rolls out

Regards,

Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:05:25 AM »

Out of curiosity, will the ships power just be the power of the mother ship? Or will it be a combination of the Mother Ship and the ship(s) that is in it's hanger?
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »

Out of curiosity, will the ships power just be the power of the mother ship? Or will it be a combination of the Mother Ship and the ship(s) that is in it's hanger?

That's a good question. The ship power itself will remain the same, but I think if you get a "Com" mission with the mothership will several other ships in the hangar bay, that all ships in hangar plus the mothership should count toward the mission rating / power you get (or at least some of the power of the ships in hangar bay, maybe 50%).

For the record, I refer to a mothership as a ship carrying other ships in it's hangar bay / belly, it can be any ship, it doesn't need the mothership optimization to have a hangar bay.

The mothership optimization will add +75% Hangar bay, +75% Cargo bay, -25% Navigation time

The hangar bay doesn't affect the mothership in any way regarding power levels.
The power rating of a mothership entering combat is not affected by the ships in it's hangar bay.
If a ship undocks from the hangar bay, then it is added to the attack / power rating calculation, if it's the hangar bay it will not participate in combat.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:34:50 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »

That will make for some very interesting PvP. You scan a ship, "see" that it has hangers, but have no idea what hell might be unleashed after you initiate the attack. Next thing you know, you're fighting a swarm
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

One other quick question. If a hanger can hold a ship complete with modules, will it be possible to pull a station equipped with modules in it as well? Tractor beams and such....
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:55:10 PM »

That will make for some very interesting PvP. You scan a ship, "see" that it has hangers, but have no idea what hell might be unleashed after you initiate the attack. Next thing you know, you're fighting a swarm

That doesn't worry me. If they unleash them the attack time will increase. Also if I am attacking a ship like that, I will likely use QP to speed up the attack. After all if you are attacking a big ship your not likely to do it for raidings reasons.
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

i wonder if you emergency jump a carrier with ships in its bay will she drop those ships as part of the plunder? Now that could be an interesting concept, to gain a ship as spoils of war

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »

Somehow I doubt she will drop them from battle.  Just because they aren't in the cargo bay. To me it sounds like the hangers themselves act as separate cargo themselves only just for ships. If that is the case I can't see it being included in the emergency cargo bay dump.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: