Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 03:45:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 4th of July!  (Read 5366 times)
Arctic
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

For those here who celebrate it! Hope you enjoy the festivities!

Arctic
Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »

Happy Independence Day, America.
BB Goode
Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:36:01 AM »

PMI tries not to go around randomly blowing things up.

You do it or you don't. There is no 'try' on matters of conscious choice.

The problem I have seen repeated with PvP games in beta are that the combat parts are put together first, and the backbone of the storylines are added and attended to later. The cart is before the horse in order to speed up conflict. The rich fabric of economic development, which is what every PvP story is driven by,
is not in place to support the conflicts. Hence, warmongers like JulJam and Gargas and others less highly profiled, are forced to start playing counter to their character choices because they have already driven everyone from the earlier stages of the game. I don't blame them either, I blame the devs whom have gotten impatient to see the end results without doing the work needed to truly flesh out the environment of the milieu.

I also agree with the perception that JamJul speaks with a forked tongue when he says he attacks people to teach them a lesson. It isn't his place to teach anyone that kind of a lesson. He attacks for profit and fun. And that is ok, but man up and admit it. Don't play the fool with such lame excuses for your choices. It is a noob as a player complaining about being behind because he/she didn't put any time into the game in the first place.

Ad for the rest, I am anxious to see how things develop so I can get the hell out of Sol and the first line of systems and get off into the game. However, I haven't seen any way to get that 20k points everyone is referring to.

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »

PMI tries not to go around randomly blowing things up.

You do it or you don't. There is no 'try' on matters of conscious choice.

The problem I have seen repeated with PvP games in beta are that the combat parts are put together first, and the backbone of the storylines are added and attended to later. The cart is before the horse in order to speed up conflict. The rich fabric of economic development, which is what every PvP story is driven by,
is not in place to support the conflicts. Hence, warmongers like JulJam and Gargas and others less highly profiled, are forced to start playing counter to their character choices because they have already driven everyone from the earlier stages of the game. I don't blame them either, I blame the devs whom have gotten impatient to see the end results without doing the work needed to truly flesh out the environment of the milieu.

I also agree with the perception that JamJul speaks with a forked tongue when he says he attacks people to teach them a lesson. It isn't his place to teach anyone that kind of a lesson. He attacks for profit and fun. And that is ok, but man up and admit it. Don't play the fool with such lame excuses for your choices. It is a noob as a player complaining about being behind because he/she didn't put any time into the game in the first place.

Ad for the rest, I am anxious to see how things develop so I can get the hell out of Sol and the first line of systems and get off into the game. However, I haven't seen any way to get that 20k points everyone is referring to.

1. Clearly you posted this in the wrong thread.

2. What do you know about me?  I do not speak with a forked tongue or anything.  I am honest. In the beginning I raided because it was the easiest way to get by.  I didn't risk mining because I knew right from the start what a bad idea it would be to mine in Sol or anywhere in 0,0.  So to make money I did transport mission within Sol and raided people I came across to make a little extra cash. After a while I eventually got to a point that I could start mining further out and I did. The money was decent.  But I kept raiding then cause I still needed more income. After that I started doing SOS missions and built me my first COM ship.  From there money started to come in a little better and after a while I gave up mining. Mining itself was proving to not net enough of a profit for me. The ships I had been using to transport my cargo I turned into full SOS ships for better profit. With the money from there I got VIP and officers. I began building more COM ships and got to a point where what I was making raiding people just wasn't profit enough.  So I cut back and it became a hobby. I figured I should do it every now and then just to help remind people that mining in 0,0 was dangerous and it would be safer to move further out. But of course there are some people that never learn and keep on mining in 0,0. Those people are just destined to become farms.  But now I see it is kind of pointless for me to even do so. They got people in Sol Corp going through raiding them a lot and many of them still won't move out so I give up on using raiding to even try to teach them.  So instead I will continue doing something else that I have been trying to do since the beginning. Help new people out with advice when they need it.  The GC itself is another way I hope to help out people.

The idea of a Galactic Council had been tossed around between me and former NHC leader Morbius before he had even given leadership to Goodperson. But we always dismissed it cause we didn't like the idea of the top alliances seeming to dominate and rule over other people.  But after signing the NAP with IMG, their 2nd in command suggested it to me what they were thinking of on a Galactic Council and I saw it possibly having some merits. But it needed a good charter that had clear rules to keep either of the 3 alliances from abusing power or anything.  So I saw down with them and we hammered out the details. It still can use some work though. But we are slowly working on it.

Don't pretend to know me. I don't play as a certain character. Dadds likes to do a little rping there.  I do it a little with news reports but that is it. I don't play as a character in the game. I don't put on any act. Who I am in the game is who I am in real life.  A nice guy doing what he needs to do to get by. In the early game that ment raiding.  I allow people in our alliance to raid if they want because I don't feel like it is right to force them to play the game a certain way. But most of our people in PMI don't even raid. Sargas our mining leader rarely raids himself these days. We actively encourage our people do do SOS and COM missions. We even have Corp ships for them to use to do this. At the moment we have more SOS ships then COM ships but we have plans for more in the future. The new pirates nest requiring more cargo space really through a lot of players through a loop slowing things down.  Now of course are going to get used to the hangers.

As for people quitting the game. There is more to it then simply people raiding them causing them to quit. Fact is with my raiding it was always with a ship that complimented their own power often weaker.  I would hit larger players as well. But people quit for many other reasons.  Here are what I think the top reasons are for them quitting and why.

1. The timers are too long.

The reason they quit for this is they got no patience and want it to be easy. The large number of inactives just floating around in Sol is proof of that. I don't know how many ships I used to hit in orbit of Venus. These are people who would get to that point and quit. How do I know? Because they were out of newbie protection and their ships would sometimes drop diamonds which is the reward for that portion of the tutorial. I am sure many of the ships just sitting around the moon right now are people who have quit as well.

2. They get bored.

This isn't just an issue with newbies.  We have had this issue with older players as well. This is why many members of NHC aren't very active at the moment. They are bored with the game. We have lost some members cause of this as well.  I am sure IMG and other alliances has as well.

3.  They don't want to put in a lot of hard work.

Once they see how much time is needed in the game provided the first 2 things don't run them off sooner, some feel it takes up too much of their times and they just quit.

4. They get their stuff blown up a lot

Some like to mix up this one and number 5 there. This first is often referred to as piracy. Sometimes the people will loot it and then blow it up. In my early days I did do this a little. But only when I saw I could get some decent profit from the debris, if they had a high MK mining module I wanted (at that time you could see it MK level from orbit), or if they were trying to set up a station for def that would make it harder for me to raid.  Profit though was the reason behind it all. I wanted to get ahead.  I no longer do this though. I realize what a mistake it was doing it in the first place.  But there are people out there that like to go around blowing up people's space stations because it is fun. This unfortunately does cause players a lot of frustration.

5. They get raided a lot.

Raids means only doing the looting run or trying to hit a ship in orbit hoping to get it to drop something.  Typically when you hit a ship it just usually jumps to the safe zone. Other then manpower there usually isn't much of a loss. As for raiding the mines/harvesters/stations, your not doing much harm. Yes your taking their resources. But they still have the stuff there to continue on. If they are a smart player they will move further out so this isn't a problem.  But for some people this becomes too much for them and they just quit. I think a lot of those people think they can just set up there and that no one should ever hit them. Of course for obvious reasons it is no shock they get raided. There are just too many people new and old that have to have something around 0,0.

The GC is trying to make things better but with how the current battle system is there is really only so much we can do to help. The best thing we can try to do is educate them or if they ask for help moving further out help them to do that. But there have some people in the game some of us have tried to help and it just does no good. They sometimes refuse to listen to advice. They sometimes refuse relocation. There was one Corp going around calling themselves the Pirate Police. This was back before the GC. They were a weaker group of players who took it apon themselves to go after pirates. The thing is they couldn't do anything.  I think they eventually fell apart. Had they worked at actually setting up some stuff further out and growing more as players they could have actually been able to do the job they set out to do or at least help out with it. They could have been like IMG. But they didn't. I am sure people told them it was a bad idea what they were doing but if people did, they didn't listen.

As for Sargas.  He is actually a really nice guy.  The guy is 67 years old and a US veteran. He likes to joke around. But he is one of the friendliest people you can meet.  The thing with him is just you need to learn when he is joking.
sargas
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »

[quote BB Goode]...warmongers like JulJam and Gargas (sic)...[/quote]

Warmongers?

Please validate your premise, how do you feel us to be warmongers?

The only war I am aware of was started by Dadds and [IMG] after discussions about a member of IMG fell apart.  War is not a viable obective, there is no profit, only loss...
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: