Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 24, 2024, 08:10:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Just who supplies earth with what?  (Read 15803 times)
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »

Somantics. There is nothing "realistic" about star travel. Its a concept. If true reality is what you seek, and not a futuristic escapist game, go play WWII online or something like that if realism is what bothers you about this game. I am sure there are plenty of holes to pick in that storyline also regarding accuracy.
When we define realistic we get:
Having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected:
So if you first accept the possibility of space travel and space combat with futuristic weaponry and equipment then the game does sort of live up to its quote of "realistic" of what it achieves. The time line is sped up naturally to be playable as i mentioned earlier. We dont all want to wait 5 billion years for a supernova to happen (though at times it feels that long that i have been waiting for it to occur). The fact that everyone in the game has to follow the same timings to achieve their "moves" in game supports the concept of "what can be achieved or expected". Do a Google of the adj. "Realistic" and you will get so many varied definitions. i still recall a Jules Verne book labelled, "From the earth to the moon" Although the delivery of personnel is way different from the way it is really done, we can now say that it is "realistic" that we can put someone onto the moon and return them to earth. Back then it was only a concept.
OK realism requires physical laws to work correctly but if you accept the concept of worm hole travel and other such mathematically unproven or currently impossible methods of transportation, then the game does live up to the title of what can be achieved or expected. ie "realistic"
If you notice all my other postings regarding reality in game, you will understand that i am also picking small holes in the reality concept (i often refer it to "doctor who'ism" lol) particularly with this hangar bay tech just released, where i could feasibly stuff a titan class vessel into a scout ship sized hull with the right amount of tech. That sort of math i do debate on realism, but when it comes to the basic concept of the game, if you accept the possibility of space/stellar flight to begin with, the game does offer a practical idea on how to achieve this.
At the end of the day, Its a game. Not always a correct physical model of the way the universe works in reality, but an attempt by the author to rationalize how things could be done, if it was possible to actually propel oneself to even the nearest star "proxima centauri" which sadly doesnt get even a mention in the game ( its a little M class red dwarf in a tri-star system along with alpha and beta centauri. Trust me, its there but not on  any ingame star maps)
Report to moderator   Logged

Corporal

I'm somewhere in here...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »

Sounds like you are trying to justify this. If something is dumb, I should follow that up with dumber to make it alright?
Put another way, two dumbs don't make a smart. Which is not the same as saying Stupid is as stupid does, man. Not that that has anything to do with this extremely elevated, if belicose, converstation of monumentally esoteric proportions when put into a relative juxtapostion with the existential authenticity of anything.
If you can figure out whether I said something or not, keep it to yourself. I don't want my head to hurt any more than it does.

Starbender Enterprises
Conquering the Universe
One Galaxy at a Time
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »

oooops hangon, i think my babel fish just dropped out. Sounded awfully like Vogan poetry to me LOL Let me run that through my translator again. (i am sure you will know from which ref that is from. No need to quote Douglas Adams here lol)
I guess though with my long winded "justification" is that i am playing in "HIS" universe which doest always comply to my "known real universe" models and mathematics.
The fact that i have jumped into some "quasi-realistic universe" where common science &  mathematical models no longer makes sense, we "uneducated" captains just have to compensate for the variation, work out the new universal rules and bend them to our needs and goals. I  merely accept "HIS" substitution for our "real world model" without need to justify, and wait until the swirling dust of "big bang" chaos eventually sorts it out into some sort of real model order 16 Who is to say which reality is the real one? Are we dreaming our reality and living our dreams?
If you can figure out whether I said something or not, keep it to yourself. I don't want my head to hurt any more than it does.
Sounds like a thinly disguised dialog to say "I talk too much and looking to pick a fight" lol
Now who is the one opening up a can of Philosophy? Use with caution, or we may lose most viewers haha

You need to get that headache fixed. I have a Hospital ship out there someplace. I will drop you an aspirin haha If pain persists, i can follow up with a dose of "nuke" 16
(who ever thought of the idea of sticking a small, slimy fish into ones auricle orifice anyway? Sounds like either a drunken dare at a party or perhaps a fetish experiment with unexpected results. Worst i have seen is goldfish swallowing haha)

Captain Dadds.

Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: