Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 08:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ship Configuration/Design  (Read 12163 times)
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

Ok so I've gone through the old threads and I didn't seem to see any topic that was about this, if there was then I apologize I just looked through the topics for the most part. Anyways I would like to see an option to save the layout of your ship so that you could quickly put together that same configuration/design. What I mean is that say I have a cargo ship with 3 WHG's 2 FTL Drives, a Living Quarters and an assortment of Science Labs and Adv. Cargo Bays. Now I buy myself a new ship and I intended for that ship to also be a cargo ship. Of course I have to buy a cargo bay for it, then transfer an Adv. Cargo Bay and install that so I have room for all the other modules I would then transfer over to it. However after that it is kind of boring/annoying to have to click all the empty ship slots and arrange them onto the ship the way that I like one by one. It would be much simpler to me if I could just upload a configuration/design I already have and the modules I have would then be automatically installed onto the ship.

Similarly I think we could use this to switch between different kinds of combat ships. Though we would still have to move personnel around so that we could remove/install modules if we could simply load up a different configuration after moving the personnel into Living Quarters/Marine units that would allow for more diversity and in general I think it would just help the game feel a little bit less monotonous. I think it would help to streamline the game a bit and help the players so we can focus more on the parts of the game that are really fun. Of course I know you have many other updates planned for the game and some of them are pretty important I think so I don't expect this to happen soon, but I think it should get added to your to-do list.
Report to moderator   Logged

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »

Considering modules have to be made and put on there, this wouldn't be very pratical for this game.  Just take a screenshot of the page and save it to your pc. That way you can look back on the ship layout so you remember what to put on each ship.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »

Remembering what to put on the ship isn't the issue, the main point of my suggestion was being able to install multiple modules at the same time. It's more than a little annoying having to put them in one at a time, especially when your computer isn't top of the line brand new.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

Remembering what to put on the ship isn't the issue, the main point of my suggestion was being able to install multiple modules at the same time. It's more than a little annoying having to put them in one at a time, especially when your computer isn't top of the line brand new.

I bet my laptop I am using is more out of date then yours.  This game doesn't really give me any issues with this.  If your having any problems at all it is probably from the web browser your using.  You could try a more lightweight web browser such as QtWeb or Slimboat.  Firefox and other mega browsers tend to have issues when run on older computers.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »

Lol, idk can it beat half a gig of RAM?

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »

248 MB of RAM for me. 
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »

248 MB of RAM for me. 

I concede, your laptop is indeed crappier than my computer lol. I am trying that Slimboat browser right now though, I am surprised at how much better it is. At least when a website doesn't require Flash. Thank you for that recommendation.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »

Flash on slimboat is actually pretty good.  I first tested slimboat on my regular pc and confirmed that.  I really miss my pc. lol. On my pc i used it as an extra browser to sometimes run alongside firefox from time to time. The main problem with firefox over the years is it just has become too much of a resource hog.  As for IE and Chrome, I despise both of them. Opera is alright though. Still when using an older pc a more lightweight browser is the way to go. There are quite a few out there.  Just some better then others.  The only reason this laptop manages to be usuable for as much as it is, is cause it at least has a decent processor.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 12:43:56 AM »

Well I would have to re-install flash on my computer to see how well it really works with flash. I uninstalled it because it conflicted with the built in flash player chrome has when I switched to chrome a year or so back. In general though just flash itself maxes out my computers RAM and what not so yea, I don't think it can help much there.

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 04:11:03 AM »

I hear ya there.  Flash has so many issues it makes me miss the days when most online games and stuff used Javascript instead of flash.  Javascript had it's issues but no where near as many as flash or as major.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »

Yea well flash is a lot easier to program, a lot of people don't understand though that it really was never meant for games it was designed for animation and movies and things like that. Java is a pain to program, at least it was when I was learning it in high school. De-bugging that crap gave me nightmares T_T

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

Yeah well flash is used for crap tons of games now and other crap.  Apparently some flash stuff is hard to code because some of the games I have played have had crap tons of bugs lol.  Javascript at least isnt heavy on the resources.  Also keep in mind that Java and Javascript are not the same thing.  A lot of people make that mistake. lol
JoolzVern
Sergeant

Nobody ever listens to Tim the wizard...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:41:38 AM »

Yeah, it would be nice if, provided you have the modules in a ship in orbit, you could select all of them and hit "install to other owned ship" but there would need to be a confirmation mechanism where it sort of "previews" it and tells you if they won't fit and let you de-select some before installing.  The template/design idea would be neat too, but imagine it would be harder to implement in the game.

laugh You know Fenix, I also have 256MB RAM and a 500Mhz processor, and I'm using firefox 10. If I was running windows I would have to stick with the old 3.6 (less of a resource hog) version, but  since I installed a lightweight OS (SliTaz linux) I can now afford to use Firefox10 instead of a lightweight browser on this 10+ year old laptop. 

FF10 is *only* using up 120MB of my memory. So combined with the OS's services etc. it's using up 180MB right now and running smoothly. Flash is still slow, but part of that is my 8mb graphics chip and 500mhz processor lol.

I also totally agree with Jam - IE and Chrome suck. I despise Chrome and I loathe google more and more every year. Opera's pretty good and I'd support it over chrome, but it just doesn't have the extensions like firefox. I gotta have my video downloader and foxyproxy and DoNotTrack etc.

offnow.org <-Stop the NSSA's subversion of your security
Prism-Break.org <-Ways to secure your data as much as possible
EFF.org <-Electronic Frontier Foundation
Stopkillerrobots.org <-Stop autonomous drones designed to hunt people
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »

Not everyone can really use Linux.  Just cause there is stuff they got to learn and unfortunately for some people it is way over their heads  lol.  I love it when I go to talk to someone about their OS and they don't seem to understand what I mean. With PCs they sorta do.  But try talking to someone about what OS their smartphone uses.  Most people I have discovered are clueless. lol. They just say it is an android or some crap.  I am like now what version of OS is it?  Had a similar discussion with my sister's bf about his samsung. lol.

As for this idea.  The thing is we are constantly upgrading our techs and modules.  Meaning not every ship is likely to have the exact same modules.  So the design would become useless when your using upgrades tech and you would have to make a new design.  Do you see the problem? Just too many complications and just not worth it for this game. There are so much other things SirEmi needs to get implemented before even thinking of something like this.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »

Well I never really intended on this being something that would be added soon. I can understand what you mean about modules becoming quickly outdated. Personally if I was going to make a new cargo ship and I had level 30 cargo bays on my other ships I wouldn't make level 30's for my new ship. I mean starting from 30 would make a very long build time, which is why I generally start with a lower level module and then upgrade it 4 or 8 levels at a time. That's just me though and I'm obviously at a much lower level than you are Jam.

If the design thing was too much or more work than it was worth I think I would settle for a revamp to the way modules are installed. Moving a module around isn't that hard but installing them is kind of a pain in the way that you have to click an empty slot and then hit the install button and wait for the page to refresh. I would prefer it more if we could simply move modules onto the ship. Perhaps have each slot on the ship assigned a number and then we could just put in the number we want next to the module and once we hit the install button they all get plugged in. It's not really a huge deal but I think it would help streamline things, maybe something he can think about after all of the new things he has been working on in that list on the priority thread. I can understand how people could probably feel it's unnesessary, especially if you've been playing for a long while and are used to it. It just feels a little clumsy the way it is now, that's my feeling anyway.

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: