Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 25, 2024, 03:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mining expedition  (Read 23502 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »

This mission is accessible from SoS signals outside explored Quadrants -1,-1 to 1,1

You are asked to embark of a treasure hunting quest to a distant Quadrant to find a big resource deposit.

The mission was also a preliminary for other exploration missions, to see how it can handle navigating to more distant areas and finding certain events.

Exploration, archaeology, investigating alien incursions, searching for wormholes / black holes etc. are more of the missions to come in the future, that will use the same principle.

We also explored setting course to center of quadrants with two navigation methods (in prep for the auto-nav computer) like this:

1. Navigating to precise nav computer coordinates
    -> this is more precise navigation, but limited to VIP nav computers on long distance coordinates

2. Navigating by direction (N,NW,W,SW,S,SE,E,NE)
    -> This method computes a direction towards the target. It's not as precise and the ship arrives in an arc at the destination, similar to a ship on water.
    -> it will be used more on missions and for arriving at general destinations where you have to search a certain area

You will notice the prospectors will give you a nav computer waypoint to the destination (using method 1), but you can also ask them for directions (method 2) by talking with them from the cargo area.
Both methods yield the same results, and will be used in future missions.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:20:41 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »

Hey Emi, was just wondering about the frequency of the mining missions at the moment.

A few people have commented on not finding them very often, and I haven't spotted one yet (although I probably haven't hit as many signals as others)

What's the frequency they should be operating at, and is it set in stone as of now, or do you think you'll keep altering it?

Thanks, and I look forward to finding that ever elusive diamond planet 1
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »

At this time, 5% of the SoS signals in unexplored Quadrants are "Mining expedition", so it's about 1 in 20 SoS signals...

That's another thing that we tested, making certain missions more rare then the others.

The deposits you find are never common types, it's uncommon to rare / extremely rare resources.

The mining mission payout is kind of a mini-lottery and I don't want to spoil it, but it's possible to find a huge "Diamond" or "Radon" deposit...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:07:52 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »

At this time, 5% of the SoS signals in unexplored Quadrants are "Mining expedition", so it's about 1 in 20 SoS signals...

That's another thing that we tested, making certain missions more rare then the others.

The deposits you find are never common types, it's uncommon to rare / extremely rare resources.

The mining mission payout is kind of a mini-lottery and I don't want to spoil it, but it's possible to find a huge "Diamond" or "Radon" deposit...

lol Diamonds are easy to get. Just do some nest. if I really need diamonds bad enough that is what I do. Though I don't usually need them often really anymore. Still it is nice to see more options out there.
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »

Thanks emi

Guess I'll have to stick it out and find one!  And even if its not too profitable JamJul, surely it gives more people incentive to mine, which has to be good.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »

Thanks emi

Guess I'll have to stick it out and find one!  And even if its not too profitable JamJul, surely it gives more people incentive to mine, which has to be good.

Your right about that. Though I think I will stick with what seems more profitable to me. lol
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »

JJL, if you remember anything that I have taught you, it should be 'everything is a commodity'.  If you don't want to do them yourself, sell them (oops...make that - transfer their contract)...
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »

JJL, if you remember anything that I have taught you, it should be 'everything is a commodity'.  If you don't want to do them yourself, sell them (oops...make that - transfer their contract)...

I know that. But what I could have out wasting time doing that i could just have out there doing a COM.  Though it would be nice to spot someone else doing one of these missions.  It might be possible to raid them. lol. Though these days I probably wouldn't even bother with it just cause it would mean a large attack timer lol. I don't usually send smaller ships further out.
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »

lol

but, if you aren't doing 'search and rescue', you don't really need the smaller ships out there...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:04:01 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »

lol

but, if you aren't doing 'search and rescue', you don't really need the smaller ships out there...

lol yeah.  My lower powered ships are my raiding ship, my science ships and my factory ship. rest is either high powered COMs or in the process of being made into a high powered COM.  I don't even do SOS missions anymore.  Since I started working I didn't really have the time to keep up with them.
lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »

Just finished mining expedition mission. It a long search.  Now do I need to mine the minerals? Need some help here.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »

Just finished mining expedition mission. It a long search.  Now do I need to mine the minerals? Need some help here.

More then likely. Did it give any sort of location to where they are? If not it might be tough to find them. lol
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »

Ok. One of my guys got me the info you need here.  It will tell you the planet type you need to go to and the sector.  Then you just search planet to planet of that type in that area until when you click on it, it tells you that you are in the right spot.
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

The ship holding the mission in their cargo bays needs to be the one who looks.  Talk to them every time you orbit the correct planetary type.  You can transfer the cargo to another ship.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:42:27 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »

Lol. Man this suck, I need to mine it. To much trouble for the little profit and time spend to mine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: