Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 25, 2024, 06:01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mining expedition  (Read 23503 times)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 03:11:28 PM »

This mining mission can't really be compared to the combat missions. The investment in specialized modules for combat ships is much more then the investment needed for dedicated mining ships.

The mining expedition is meant for mining ships. In time it will balance out as mining gets more profitable when it combines with searching for artefacts etc. while combat gets more difficult as pirate ship designs get more upgrades, illegal modules and maybe even pirate ship optimizations. The aliens will be even tougher...

The problem with mining ships is many aren't powerful enough to really protect high MK advanced mines and harvesters you need for this. That is why most miners just use basic mining modules often times at MK 1 for mining.  Larger modules become tempting targets for pirates. So in order to really do this quick you need high MK mine and harvesters. But you also need a decently powerful ship to protect the stuff.  Thing is once you have such a ship your better off just doing COMs.  So these missions just overall aren't that great for anyone.  I am about to give it a try anyways though.  My net was down so I didn't have a chance to try it yet.
Report to moderator   Logged
Gronk
Private

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 07:03:29 PM »

This mining mission can't really be compared to the combat missions. The investment in specialized modules for combat ships is much more then the investment needed for dedicated mining ships.

The mining expedition is meant for mining ships. In time it will balance out as mining gets more profitable when it combines with searching for artefacts etc. while combat gets more difficult as pirate ship designs get more upgrades, illegal modules and maybe even pirate ship optimizations. The aliens will be even tougher...

The problem with mining ships is many aren't powerful enough to really protect high MK advanced mines and harvesters you need for this. That is why most miners just use basic mining modules often times at MK 1 for mining.  Larger modules become tempting targets for pirates. So in order to really do this quick you need high MK mine and harvesters. But you also need a decently powerful ship to protect the stuff.  Thing is once you have such a ship your better off just doing COMs.  So these missions just overall aren't that great for anyone.  I am about to give it a try anyways though.  My net was down so I didn't have a chance to try it yet.

JJL is quite right on this one.

Additionally:
A. I've seen occasions, when doing COM missions, I'd drop a random mining module, forget to scoop back to the cargo bay before engaging combat, and then have one of the enemy ships, instead of targeting my ship, instead targeted the very weak module, destroy it, then enemy ship is also destroyed is short order by my COM ship. so even parking a combat ship in orbit there is no real safety for your high level mining modules, and/or orbital stations.  I've sent Sir Emi an ingame message regarding this over a week ago, and to date "no response"
B. Putting a orbital station in orbit to auto-offload your minerals for higher level modules, doesn't work correctly. Auto-offload is set on a 6 hour timer, and a high level module could fill-up several times in that amount of time. Consequently, the highest effective level of mining modules "unless you're mining at extreme depths", is low to mid teens on module level. That leaves a miner, constantly baby sitting the very long tedious task of mining, or waiting months to mine out the deposit you paid for, and then spent hours searching out.

Seems a bit more tweeking is in order here. Additionally, I like one of the previous suggestions that when deposit if found, the finder receives and automated "finder fee", of some multiple of the mission cost or size/value of deposit found. this would be compensation for completing that portion of the mission. These missions compared to either COM and/or SOS are not yet where they need to be.
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »

To change the topic slightly.  I was wondering with these missions, if there's any way to gauge the mineral that's there.  If I get a 100,000,000 dollar deposit, then of course I'm interested in going out, If I can be guaranteed that it's diamond, not tin.

Is there any correlation between higher deposit worth, and higher value minerals?  Or could I just find an absolutely enormous pile of a 200 dollar mineral?
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »

A. I've seen occasions, when doing COM missions, I'd drop a random mining module, forget to scoop back to the cargo bay before engaging combat, and then have one of the enemy ships, instead of targeting my ship, instead targeted the very weak module, destroy it, then enemy ship is also destroyed is short order by my COM ship. so even parking a combat ship in orbit there is no real safety for your high level mining modules, and/or orbital stations.  I've sent Sir Emi an ingame message regarding this over a week ago, and to date "no response"

No response because it is not happening anymore since the combat system revamp.  Try checking the updates sometimes. 14
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »

No response because it is not happening anymore since the combat system revamp.  Try checking the updates sometimes. 14

Actually it could still happen. If someone were to leave something on the planet it would be included in the combat fight.  This is why I don't usually mine as I do COMs. lol.
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »

Is there the ability to set the planetary force, even if it's just a lone miner, as a protected force?  That way it wouldn't be target unless you lost the COM.

(I haven't mined while doing COM's since my timers are too short to make it worthwhile, so I've never tested it)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »

Is there the ability to set the planetary force, even if it's just a lone miner, as a protected force?  That way it wouldn't be target unless you lost the COM.

(I haven't mined while doing COM's since my timers are too short to make it worthwhile, so I've never tested it)

Protected status I think only works for if you are on the defense. On COMs you are always on offense.
Gronk
Private

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »

cough. this is AFTER updates, unlike you i actually can read, but thanks for the taunt
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »

Actually it could still happen. If someone were to leave something on the planet it would be included in the combat fight.  This is why I don't usually mine as I do COMs. lol.

Of course it will be included, but not in the way gronk described it. Stations and planetary modules will always be in the protected forces.

Protected status I think only works for if you are on the defense. On COMs you are always on offense.

Wrong. Protected status also works on the offence but only to stations and modules, not ships.

cough. this is AFTER updates, unlike you i actually can read, but thanks for the taunt

So what's your purpose of bringing it up today when it no longer applies? Are you looking for attention? LOL
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »

Gronk is saying this is happening after the updates.  Something which is likely.  Say his ship runs out of ammo or something, the other ships can hit his planetary stuff.  Which is a good reason not to mine while doing COMs. It is too easy to forget about them lol
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »

Gronk is saying this is happening after the updates.  Something which is likely.  Say his ship runs out of ammo or something, the other ships can hit his planetary stuff.  Which is a good reason not to mine while doing COMs. It is too easy to forget about them lol

Well, I've tested this as well (running out of ammo on ships, and with protected forces) and it didn't happened to me.

It's hard to understand when gronk tries hard to communicate and says something like "then enemy ship is also destroyed is short order by my COM ship" LOL wut??? Hahahaha
Gronk
Private

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »

so Ralph,

with the new rounds of combat, it's not really that difficult to understand, maybe too big of words for "admiral" cough Ralph.
   i.e. 5 enemy ships
       one of them fires first, instead of me. it fires on my mining module, instead of my COM ship.. one needs to use small words for ralph so he can also understand
       then when it's my ships turn to fire
       my ship fires and destroys enemy ship.
       next ship up for combat, etc, etc, etc
        small enough words for you?? Admiral. lol.

are you now saying you are the game developer? interesting, thanks for the info.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:20:33 PM by Gronk » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »

so Ralph,

with the new rounds of combat, it's not really that difficult to understand, maybe too big of words for "admiral" cough Ralph.
   i.e. 5 enemy ships
       one of them fires first, instead of me. it fires on my mining module, instead of my COM ship.. one needs to use small words for ralph so he can also understand
       then when it's my ships turn to fire
       my ship fires and destroys enemy ship.
       next ship up for combat, etc, etc, etc
        small enough words for you?? Admiral. lol.

are you now saying you are the game developer? interesting, thanks for the info.

Um even if it fires first it should be firing on your ship. There is no reason that your stuff on the planet should have more power then your COM ship. lol.
Gronk
Private

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »

JJL,

correct, my module didn't have more power then my COM ship, that's why I send Sir Emi, and ingame message about it.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »

JJL,

correct, my module didn't have more power then my COM ship, that's why I send Sir Emi, and ingame message about it.

Yeah even in the old system that shouldn't have been happening either. It definitely sounds like a bug.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: