Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 01:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Boarding ships  (Read 15081 times)
lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »

I am agree with battle time need to keep in check. any battle time over 36 hrs is killing the game.  wounded1  not everyone will wait that long for the out come.
Report to moderator   Logged
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »

Your idea would have to be deployed before battle and therefore is a bit ridiculous because then what else will we decide to apply before battle lol. That redefines the battle and defeats part of the purpose of those timers. If you don't like large timers then build a big fleet of smaller ships or get SirEmi to factor combat speed into the timer.

Mine is like a real tractor beam, keeping them from maneuvering during battle so you can capture/destroy ships instead of jumping them.

And yes if you didn't cap the levels with it my way then high level players would always have tractor beams that keep any lesser player's ship from jumping and combat drives that completely cancel out the tractor beam of lesser players and if the same ship could fire it more than one time then an entire fleet would be frozen.

The only way I can think of to balance that out is to cap it at firing once per battle per ship and only having like a mk10 max tractor beam that has a 100% chance of frezing a ship (without an advanced combat drive), and having advanced combat drives that give up to like 70% resistance max otherwise they will build it up to 100% and it will be useless against bigger players.

If we tied it directly to the existing combat speed then it would be useless on bigger players also so it needs to not be based on that but the drive level.

Wait... Noob question; combat speed doesn't affect the timers for combat???
I have wasted SO MANY modules...

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »

Your idea would have to be deployed before battle and therefore is a bit ridiculous because then what else will we decide to apply before battle lol. That redefines the battle and defeats part of the purpose of those timers. If you don't like large timers then build a big fleet of smaller ships or get SirEmi to factor combat speed into the timer.

Mine is like a real tractor beam, keeping them from maneuvering during battle so you can capture/destroy ships instead of jumping them.

And yes if you didn't cap the levels with it my way then high level players would always have tractor beams that keep any lesser player's ship from jumping and combat drives that completely cancel out the tractor beam of lesser players and if the same ship could fire it more than one time then an entire fleet would be frozen.

The only way I can think of to balance that out is to cap it at firing once per battle per ship and only having like a mk10 max tractor beam that has a 100% chance of frezing a ship (without an advanced combat drive), and having advanced combat drives that give up to like 70% resistance max otherwise they will build it up to 100% and it will be useless against bigger players.

If we tied it directly to the existing combat speed then it would be useless on bigger players also so it needs to not be based on that but the drive level.

All combat speed helps with is in determining which ship fires first.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 02:28:07 AM »

wounded1 oh dear... I should have known

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 02:29:32 AM »

wounded1 oh dear... I should have known

It's alright.  It still isn't a bad idea to get the combat speed up some. Who knows maybe in the future it will have a better use.
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 06:43:55 AM »

I've got an idea that doesn't fix the problem, but gives a bit of use to ship combat

Imagine that for a ship to use it's FTL drive, it must requisition all of the ship's power.  Maybe we can make it so that if a ship jumps while another ship is preparing to attack, the escaping ship has to take a volley of weapons fire from the attacking ship, and has to take it with no shields to stop it.  It could perhaps be a set percentage of the attacker's weapons.  Or perhaps each weapon has a percentage chance of hitting the ship as it jumps and it's shields are down.  Perhaps long range weapons are more likely to hit or something like that.

This wouldn't fix the timers issue, but would give some bonus to making someone jump away, and would allow you to do meaningful damage to someone, even if they escape.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »

then come up with a suggestion of your own and stop dismissing those you don't like.
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »

Sargas said "I would like to see 'Prizes' (the ships that are beaten by a boarding ship and taken captive (for 'Ransom' or whatever...))."

I agree with the idea of Sargas.

Somewhere elsethere is the idea of destroying ship. I absolutely object to this. The fact that people do not fear to being destroyed is what make this game different from all other space games. If We could destroy ships of other, then a big player could build an awasone ship and kill all the ship he met and completely dominate the game. In those condition there would not be place for newbies. And if you say it would be a long timer, if I was that big bad player I would pay in QP to have the battle complete immediately and adios to your ships.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

then come up with a suggestion of your own and stop dismissing those you don't like.

I never ment to get off topic. But since he brought up tractor beams here I felt I should give my idea.  Joolz didn't have an issue with me giving my opinions on this matter.  We have been chatting on yahoo a lot as we have debated this on here. lol
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »

I've got an idea that doesn't fix the problem, but gives a bit of use to ship combat

Imagine that for a ship to use it's FTL drive, it must requisition all of the ship's power.  Maybe we can make it so that if a ship jumps while another ship is preparing to attack, the escaping ship has to take a volley of weapons fire from the attacking ship, and has to take it with no shields to stop it.  It could perhaps be a set percentage of the attacker's weapons.  Or perhaps each weapon has a percentage chance of hitting the ship as it jumps and it's shields are down.  Perhaps long range weapons are more likely to hit or something like that.

This wouldn't fix the timers issue, but would give some bonus to making someone jump away, and would allow you to do meaningful damage to someone, even if they escape.

Nice idea but it's too advantageous for the top players.

Tractor beams are really handy, but I think before we introduce new modules, existing ones should be improved first (i.e., combat drives and WHDs). Quality over quantity. 1
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »

Raph
I agree entirely, I just figured this is something that people have raised for a long time, and perhaps another approach would be more up Sir Emi's alley if he's dead set on not changing the timers.

It seems ridiculous in terms of story that ships would take a week to line up and fire.  Perhaps with the new blind jump feature that is quick to plot and would allow captains to escape as long as they were active, it would make sense to reduce the max timer to something to the size of a day, or maybe 12 hrs.

Although then this massively changes the balance of COM to SOS missions; which is already arguably out of whack.

I don't envy Sir Emi his job, especially with all the new modules and gameplay factors that are being introduced.

Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:18 AM »

johnnydrinkmeth: changing the timers will completely change the balance of the game. When you suggest to have a max timer of between 24 and 12 hrs you indirectly suggest to multiply my income from 7 to 14 times. lets make a simple calculation, suppose I have a mission of 7 days that is worth on completion 35 millions. If I can do it in 1 day I would make 35 million a day instead of 5 millions a day. Fantastic for me. Remember I am greedy. Imagine if the max was 12 hrs (half a day). Only to say that the timers are there for a reason.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 01:52:15 AM »

johnnydrinkmeth: changing the timers will completely change the balance of the game. When you suggest to have a max timer of between 24 and 12 hrs you indirectly suggest to multiply my income from 7 to 14 times. lets make a simple calculation, suppose I have a mission of 7 days that is worth on completion 35 millions. If I can do it in 1 day I would make 35 million a day instead of 5 millions a day. Fantastic for me. Remember I am greedy. Imagine if the max was 12 hrs (half a day). Only to say that the timers are there for a reason.

I really don't mind timers as much for when it comes to missions. It is understandable there. Like you said it puts a limit on us on how many COMs we can do in a day.  But for PVP the timers are hell.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 03:10:27 AM »

SirEmi just probably doesn't want this game to become like any other PvP game.LOL

I agree shortening it a bit though (just for PvP). 25% shorter is a start, and we'll see how much it affects the game.  1

Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »

How about cutting the timer down a bit for orbital stations and planetary forces since those are stationary?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: