Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 05:05:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: MAU  (Read 56307 times)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

Sorry people if I don't make myself clear. I wish in the COM mission we can capture pirate ship as a prize. I agrees with johnnydirkmeth in PVP the low player alway will get hurt. capture ship or not.

That would be useless.  If we could capture those, then many of us top players would be getting such a high amount of ships it isn't funny. But then we run into more problems. We can't use those ships without new ship licenses. So we have to buy more then that.  Wait we also crippled the ship so it needs new crew.  I don't think for COMs we should be able to actually capture their ships.   As for planetary. I have seen the NPCs have planetary forces. Sometimes it is one captured by an NPC on someone else on a failed mission.  Other times you can't even see it there when you look at the planet. Can't even seem to destroy it then either. lol
Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »

Sorry people if I don't make myself clear. I wish in the COM mission we can capture pirate ship as a prize. I agrees with johnnydirkmeth in PVP the low player alway will get hurt. capture ship or not.

That would be useless.  If we could capture those, then many of us top players would be getting such a high amount of ships it isn't funny. But then we run into more problems. We can't use those ships without new ship licenses. So we have to buy more then that.  Wait we also crippled the ship so it needs new crew.  I don't think for COMs we should be able to actually capture their ships.   As for planetary. I have seen the NPCs have planetary forces. Sometimes it is one captured by an NPC on someone else on a failed mission.  Other times you can't even see it there when you look at the planet. Can't even seem to destroy it then either. lol

don't forget armor repair...I don't think the salvage (resale value) would be worth the expense (unless it could be hauled back to Earth in a mothership)...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:35:30 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »

That would be useless.  If we could capture those, then many of us top players would be getting such a high amount of ships it isn't funny. But then we run into more problems. We can't use those ships without new ship licenses. So we have to buy more then that.  Wait we also crippled the ship so it needs new crew.  I don't think for COMs we should be able to actually capture their ships.   As for planetary. I have seen the NPCs have planetary forces. Sometimes it is one captured by an NPC on someone else on a failed mission.  Other times you can't even see it there when you look at the planet. Can't even seem to destroy it then either. lol

don't forget armor repair...I don't think the salvage (resale value) would be worth the expense (unless it could be hauled back to Earth in a mothership)...

Yeah can't sell the armor even without repairing it first. lol.
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »

1% is a pretty small chance.  But it might be enough to at least teach players it is better not to just let their ships sit around in orbit of planets. Especially in Sol. 

I agree with this in principle, but I think it'd be much more likely to teach 1% of players not to play astro galaxy.  Plus, I think this still leaves the problem of smaller pirates targeting new players.  Right now there's not much incentive to hit smaller players unless they attempt to mine.  If you could take over small ships, then every new player would have a target painted on their back.

Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 08:02:31 PM »

johnnydrinkmeth : I agree with your last post
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »

I mean JamJul I think PvP is a good idea, I've got nothing against what you're saying.

I'm just not sure how to do it in a fairmanner that is useful, but doesn't hurt anyone too much
 confused
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »

How about destruction of individual modules? Like each module has a chance of being destroyed based on how much damage a ship takes. But only after shields and armor are penetrated

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »

Destroying modules i think is a good idea so it again takes time to rebuild. It would give entering and losing a combat more meaning.
One game i play allows you to put on "military tags" which identifies you as someone looking for a PvP fight to the (well death i guess).
There could be some room in the game to allow those who want realism in the game while maintaining the mostly peaceful nature of the game for those who just want to mine and build stuff, or for the new players still getting the feel for the game

First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »

Destroying modules i think is a good idea so it again takes time to rebuild. It would give entering and losing a combat more meaning.
One game i play allows you to put on "military tags" which identifies you as someone looking for a PvP fight to the (well death i guess).
There could be some room in the game to allow those who want realism in the game while maintaining the mostly peaceful nature of the game for those who just want to mine and build stuff, or for the new players still getting the feel for the game

Tags to me are kind of crappy.  Most people aren't going to have them on as it is. Many probably won't even know they can toggle them. Most new players tend to be pretty idiotic. Look at how many don't even bother to check the forum for information first when they first start. I know this isn't the case with all new players. But it is with the majority. These are the ones we find quitting shortly after starting usually. I don't think we should be able to opt in or out on this. Keep the realism. Module destruction is a good idea. So is the idea of a small chance of a ship being destroyed.  We definitely need something to keep PVP realistic and to make ship vs ship combat actually have real risk.
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 03:33:08 AM »

Tags to me are kind of crappy.  Most people aren't going to have them on as it is. Many probably won't even know they can toggle them.

Perhaps to avoid what you're concerned about, PvP mode could automatically be engaged, and we could have a stage in the tutorial where newbies have to turn PvP off, and then on again.  New players will know how to do it, but the default will be to PvP.

On the other hand, maybe we could give incentives for playing PvP.  Perhaps some missions can be limited to PvP?  or rarer minerals can be found while in PvP mode?  That would give people incentive to up the risk.  As it is, I wouldn't go PvP unless I was one of the top 20.  Too easy to be squished lol!
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »

Tags to me are kind of crappy.  Most people aren't going to have them on as it is. Many probably won't even know they can toggle them.

Perhaps to avoid what you're concerned about, PvP mode could automatically be engaged, and we could have a stage in the tutorial where newbies have to turn PvP off, and then on again.  New players will know how to do it, but the default will be to PvP.

On the other hand, maybe we could give incentives for playing PvP.  Perhaps some missions can be limited to PvP?  or rarer minerals can be found while in PvP mode?  That would give people incentive to up the risk.  As it is, I wouldn't go PvP unless I was one of the top 20.  Too easy to be squished lol!

With PVP being optional, there are still people who will turn it off and never turn it back on. So what will you do if they are taking up an entire planet your wanting to mine on? What if they occupy almost and entire system but then go inactive?  You can't clear them out cause PVP is off.  PVP shouldn't be able to be turned off at all. If people don't want to be hit they just need to play a little smarter. They also need to realize that everyone gets hit at some point and it isn't the end of the world.
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »

JJL: You can do all that with the system like it is right now!
johnnydrinkmeth
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »

With PVP being optional, there are still people who will turn it off and never turn it back on. So what will you do if they are taking up an entire planet your wanting to mine on?

Sorry JamJul, I was getting a little mixed up I guess.  I'd allow people to hit mines/stations and jump ships no matter whether PvP was on or not (so maybe PvP isn't the right word...) but I'd also allow people to sign up for a form of the game where (as rostin said) their modules could be hit) or as you said, their ships could be lost.  That'd allow Dadds and Raph to slug it out, without making a target out of a new SEA graduate, and without allowing people to clog up planets with inactive mines.

One of the things I've been quite keen on is tracking pirates, so perhaps if you want to go PvP and steal ships, people can also track down your ships and take you out. PvP would have some interesting possibilities 1
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »

With PVP being optional, there are still people who will turn it off and never turn it back on. So what will you do if they are taking up an entire planet your wanting to mine on?

Sorry JamJul, I was getting a little mixed up I guess.  I'd allow people to hit mines/stations and jump ships no matter whether PvP was on or not (so maybe PvP isn't the right word...) but I'd also allow people to sign up for a form of the game where (as rostin said) their modules could be hit) or as you said, their ships could be lost.  That'd allow Dadds and Raph to slug it out, without making a target out of a new SEA graduate, and without allowing people to clog up planets with inactive mines.

One of the things I've been quite keen on is tracking pirates, so perhaps if you want to go PvP and steal ships, people can also track down your ships and take you out. PvP would have some interesting possibilities 1

I still think it should be all or nothing on actual damage to ship modules/destruction of ships.    There should be no opt in or out. What is to prevent someone from going after someone else that is opted in. Do a lot of damage.  Then suddenly opt out again so they can't have it done to them.  This isn't about voluntary combat.  It is about making combat in general a bit more realistic. Making ship vs ship combat actually worth it.  As it stands right now if two groups are at war, the only way anyone can do any real damage at all is to hit mines and stations. That is easier said then done.  Especially when some people don't have mines at all. So how do you defeat an enemy that says only really has a lot of ships?  Well you can't right now.  You can jump a ship but it doesn't really accomplish anything. In order to even be sure you get the hit in, at the levels of the big players that means a lot of QP spent. Making it not worth while for the attacker to even hit them since the damage received is so minor.   People sit and think that low level player might fall victim to higher level players if something like this was added in.  Let me ask you this, why would we want to waste time on trying to destroy their ships?  I might hit people occasionally when I got a COM at a place. But I am not going out of my way to hit them.  There is also a very large attack timer when it happens. Which gives them more then enough time to get their stuff out of the way. Now of course we can use lower power ships ourselves for smaller timers. But that still requires them to be offline to be sure the attack will even go through.  Most smart players know better to just leave weaker ships just sitting around anyways. Perhaps with an added chance of modules being destroyed at the very least it might help even the dumber players to realize the importance of not leaving their ships just laying around. 
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »

I still think it should be all or nothing on actual damage to ship modules/destruction of ships.    There should be no opt in or out. What is to prevent someone from going after someone else that is opted in. Do a lot of damage.  Then suddenly opt out again so they can't have it done to them.  This isn't about voluntary combat.  It is about making combat in general a bit more realistic. Making ship vs ship combat actually worth it.  As it stands right now if two groups are at war, the only way anyone can do any real damage at all is to hit mines and stations. That is easier said then done.  Especially when some people don't have mines at all. So how do you defeat an enemy that says only really has a lot of ships?  Well you can't right now.  You can jump a ship but it doesn't really accomplish anything. In order to even be sure you get the hit in, at the levels of the big players that means a lot of QP spent. Making it not worth while for the attacker to even hit them since the damage received is so minor.   People sit and think that low level player might fall victim to higher level players if something like this was added in.  Let me ask you this, why would we want to waste time on trying to destroy their ships?  I might hit people occasionally when I got a COM at a place. But I am not going out of my way to hit them.  There is also a very large attack timer when it happens. Which gives them more then enough time to get their stuff out of the way. Now of course we can use lower power ships ourselves for smaller timers. But that still requires them to be offline to be sure the attack will even go through.  Most smart players know better to just leave weaker ships just sitting around anyways. Perhaps with an added chance of modules being destroyed at the very least it might help even the dumber players to realize the importance of not leaving their ships just laying around. 
As for the red part, I'm sure Emi would incorporate a system similar to the changing of captain names (once a month) which would prevent a lot of abuse. However, I completely agree with you JJ; PvP and Corp wars are absolutely meaningless without substantial assets at risk. And as an off topic question; does the number of "Active Captains" listed on the Top Ranking tab actually reflect the number of captains that have logged in within a certain amount of time? Or is it just every single player with an account? lol

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: