Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 03:04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, I am Garville  (Read 15383 times)
Garville
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »

I have been playing for a couple of months now.

I think newbie status has gone, now that I have been attacked by two of the biggest corps in the game.  Not that I am bothered.  I joined the game expecting to take a few bruises as I learn the ropes.

Thanks for the offers from various corps, but I want to see what I can attain without help.  I believe that a game should taken for what it is.  Too much help at the beginning is like an athlete taking steroids.

Thanks also to those who have freely offered tips on how to progress, both to me directly, and through the guidance here in the forum.

One questions I have:  there are many recommendations to get far away from Sol, so why are the big corps still here?

Will I stick it out?

I don't know.  It is slow going to get anywhere, and once you have become the top player, what is left to achieve?  Indeed, what is the value of being top player?  Is the top player the one with the most power, most money, the most planets, or the most friends?  Or is it something else?

My ambition is to find something that hasn't been done yet, and be the first to do it.  I look forward to meeting you all in the game.

Fly safe, captains.
Report to moderator   Logged
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:31:38 AM »

This is why I wanted you in the syndicate Garville 1 you are driven, professional, and smart. Thanks for introducing yourself!

For me the game gets you hooked on constant improvement. I have no aspirations to be the best, I just want to be taken seriously and to eventually find a nice chunk of space to mine 1

The big corps remain because they are confident in their defenses.

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:36 AM »

Welcome. I know I got you a few times. I hope there is no hard feelings.  Big corps are around to help out people who need help. In TGE I do my best to help out all my members. From Corp ships to Advice.  Advice is something I can give you now. You will want to watch mining anywhere in 0,0.  What pirates remain, tend to hit people in 0,0. Your more likely to be attacked in 0,0.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »

One questions I have:  there are many recommendations to get far away from Sol, so why are the big corps still here?

SSS has many reasons to stick around Sol. Let me give you the two major reasons: Sol's stations and recruitment. Those stations are the only place in the game where you can buy minerals, hire personnel, upgrade ship hulls, etc. As for recruitment, it's easier to do it if we have a base there and make our overwhelming presence felt to the newbies. 1

My ambition is to find something that hasn't been done yet, and be the first to do it. 

If you do find something like that and it's of some significance to the game, then my hat's off to you (anyone can dump marine mk Is everywhere; no one has done that yet but it's not significant. Haha). I've played around with pretty much everything in the game (wasting a fortune and RPs in the process) so your ambition really is big. But I guess that is much easier to achieve than unseating me from my throne. LOL

I will see you out there. Good luck! 1
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »

Hello Garville,

Ralph nailed your first question perfectly.

As for doing something nobody has done before, it is easy, wait for the next upgrade and be the first to beats aliens, visit a black hole, find an exotic alien module... Your name will stay in history... But you will not be alone to do it.

As for JJL being a pirate, nothing new there. For a top 10 player attaking newbies 10, I think he is the only one!!!

Good luck and see you around a black hole somewhere...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:10:51 AM by Matamaure001 » Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

Hey Garville 1

Like others pointed out, a very interesting part will be the exploration aspect. We all want to be the first to find an artefact or to encounter an event no-one else has seen.

We start small, exploring our corner of the Milky Way, finding the right star and planet to call our new home, maybe name it "New Eden" or is it "Pandora"? You never know...
All we know is space can be harsh. It will constantly change, stars will go supernova, new stars will be born, planets may swing out of orbit and be lost in space.

And then, just as you finally manage to get a decent map chart and think you found all the stars it hits you... there's a void of 1500 Light Years between our local group and the next group.

Just as the stars are divided into small quadrants, so is the Milky Way divided into pockets of stars. But the space in between is not empty.
There are small groups of stars, very unusual stars. There are monsters, black holes, wormholes and events beyond imagination.

There's an infinite number of stars out there... You may find an alien artefact or a whole alien civilization that will attack on sight. Or something so unknown that it will suck your ship into a parallel Universe...

Is there a reason for the search... I don't know... but it sure is interesting 1

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »

Hello Garville,

Ralph nailed your first question perfectly.

As for doing something nobody has done before, it is easy, wait for the next upgrade and be the first to beats aliens, visit a black hole, find an exotic alien module... Your name will stay in history... But you will not be alone to do it.

As for JJL being a pirate, nothing new there. For a top 10 player attaking newbies 10, I think he is the only one!!!

Good luck and see you around a black hole somewhere...

To be fair it was only as I was doing COMs and even then if I remember right I was doing nest. Those are so time consuming that sometimes I get bored. They do have a big enough timer though to usually come get their stuff if they are active. lol
Garville
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »

Hey, Guys,

Don't worry, I don't carry grudges, especially when it says on the cover page that conflict is inevitable.  While my intention is to be peaceable, I will attack if I have been attacked.  Most of the contacts I have had in the game have been friendly, and I believe that there is respect and the beginning of several friendships there.  I often find that to be an important part of enjoying a game. 

I would like to correct what I said at the beginning about taking membership benefits being like an athlete taking steroids.  That was wrong of me, because it probably criticises a lot of people based on my own personal belief, which only applies to me.  It is not a strategy that would benefit my personal game playing pleasure, however I see nothing wrong in anyone else joining a corp as part of their personal strategy, and they should do it if that is how they enjoy playing.  Phrasing it as I did was unintentionally arrogant.  I apologise to everyone who was offended by it.

Your responses in this thread have been even more educational than the advice threads.  I have a much better idea of what the game is about, and some of your motives too.  This will be a great help in the game.

@ SirEmi
I feel that if you put your post in this thread on your front page, or even on a linked page, you will get more people trying the game out. 

Fly safe, Captains.
Garville Chance
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »

@ SirEmi
I feel that if you put your post in this thread on your front page, or even on a linked page, you will get more people trying the game out. 

well most of the stuff he was referring to is all set to release with the next project completion 1 I think everyone is very excited for it and it will definitely help keep players interested in this game.

Also, just because you join a corporation does not mean you need to accept free gifts from the players in it. I'm sure whatever corp you joined you could ask to not receive anything and be fine. Your motivations for joining a corporation should be comradery and just getting the chance to work with other like-minded players. This game is a lot more fun when you have people to talk to and support. 1

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »

@ SirEmi

well most of the stuff he was referring to is all set to release with the next project completion 1 I think everyone is very excited for it and it will definitely help keep players interested in this game.

Also, just because you join a corporation does not mean you need to accept free gifts from the players in it. I'm sure whatever corp you joined you could ask to not receive anything and be fine. Your motivations for joining a corporation should be comradery and just getting the chance to work with other like-minded players. This game is a lot more fun when you have people to talk to and support. 1

He is right, I for example wouldn't force you to use our corp COM ships.  I might insist on you taking a few turns with one of the corp science ships though. lol
JoolzVern
Sergeant

Nobody ever listens to Tim the wizard...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »

All true. Also I'd say that your perspective/goals in the game play role here.

Your goals/gameplay can be a somewhat sandbox-like non-linnear experience. For many players getting help just means they get to their goals faster, but because of the sanbox-like nature of the game, those goals(mk1 marines everywhere lol) may be yours and your alone.

By that I mean that the objective of the game is not (necessarily) a race to see who can unseat Raph from his throne first and we all can have different goals/strategies. I think this non-linnear gameplay aspect helps a lot to keep anyone from truly gaining an unfair advantage.

offnow.org <-Stop the NSSA's subversion of your security
Prism-Break.org <-Ways to secure your data as much as possible
EFF.org <-Electronic Frontier Foundation
Stopkillerrobots.org <-Stop autonomous drones designed to hunt people
Dadds
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »

Hi Garville and welcome.
the question, what is out there and why do we play and what is there to achieve?
a bit of escapism, a bit of character development, growth, management, finding "curios"
It really all depends on what you want to develop as a player.
I love economics and building stuff, and logistics etc so i just love finding a new system and searching for its secrets, which is mostly minerals and then turning those resources into equipment.
IMG have always been dedicated to self support and to finally leave Sol system to be totally independent. Our model now is pretty close to full self sufficiency and we rarely need to go back to Sol, except for rapid upgrades or to turn in a rescue mission.
Sorry to hear the top corps have been hitting you, i know we were not one of them. We dont do that at IMG. We have a non aggression policy with everyone bar those who choose to inflict piracy or assaults on others.
Dont get me wrong though, we have many enemies, and right now that would be the top corps.
It has been that way for us since day "dot" that someone higher than us has been beating us down. We survived to be a reasonable force.
Joining a corporation other than Sol Corp has its benefits in more social interactions with more active players, as well as the support a corp can offer. The downside of course, is you take on its political status and its conflicts, if any.
Good luck out there pilot. If you need a hand, drop me a personal message @ Dadds mailbox. I am da boss here lol

Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

It is good to know where I have some misconceptions.  Both the game and the players in it are proving to be more interesting than I expected.  This is my first attempt at this type of online game.

I think I will stay around for a while.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »

I think I will stay around for a while.

Wonderful! 13

The players in this game are a diverse lot and are indeed interesting 1 it would be worth your time to read other forum posts and talk to some of them to get an idea of who you are playing with.

sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »

Good, I'm glad you decided to stick around.

(oh, btw.  The EoS is still recruiting)
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: