Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 02:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, I am Garville  (Read 15375 times)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »

Good, I'm glad you decided to stick around.

(oh, btw.  The EoS is still recruiting)

As is TGE. lol
Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:06 AM »

I would recommend either (me first though).
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »

I would recommend either (me first though).

Either of us could help him go far in the game.  If you prefer mining then EoS would be the way to go though. If you want to do COMs and work on growing quicker, then TGE would be your best bet.  Don't get me wrong SSS is a good choice too. But from what I have heard from some of their members Raph can sometimes be a bit selfish with the corp ships. lol. No offense raph. Just what I heard.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:18 AM »

Me controlling them assures many things in the game, Jam. That the ships are used very efficiently and not wasted is one. That you never ever going to catch up to me is another. LOL

I am also giving my members things that other corps don't give. 50 QPs every 25 days is an example. I don't want to explain any further though.

Anyway, I am not going to spoil Garville's thread about recruiting. He will eventually know what truly is the most powerful corp in the game. 1
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »

Me controlling them assures many things in the game, Jam. That the ships are used very efficiently and not wasted is one. That you never ever going to catch up to me is another. LOL

I am also giving my members things that other corps don't give. 50 QPs every 25 days is an example. I don't want to explain any further though.

Anyway, I am not going to spoil Garville's thread about recruiting. He will eventually know what truly is the most powerful corp in the game. 1

Just remember corp power isn't everything. The only reason i am not much further up myself is because a good portion of my resources go to helping out my members.  I don't need to hand out 50 QP every 25 days  because each of my people right now can afford their own officers and VIP. If I wanted to just work on myself then yes i'd be further. But i'd prefer my corp grew as a whole.  I am not trying to criticize you though. You can run your corp how you like. I just thought I'd mention though the complaint by a few of your people on the corp ship usage. I am not revealing who they are though.  They are good people and loyal to you.  Also i'd still recommend SSS over IMG.  But I am trying to see where this guy might be a better fit.  Just because a corp is strong doesn't mean it is a good fit for someone. This guy if he is a miner likely will fit in with EOS better.  Laid back people doing COMs fit in well with TGE.  Though we are all pretty self sufficient.  I know Sargas's style from having worked closely with him. So I can tell what might be a good fit there.  Just as I know what is a good fit for people in my corp.  ITO might also be a good fit for this guy.  Perhaps even better then us.  Yes we are in a better position to help him, but that doesn't always matter. That is why I never make a huge deal with someone decides to join a different corp.  Most of the time I give people an open invitation to come join us if they want.  All I ever ask of my people if they decide to leave TGE is that they give me some sort of explanation as to why they are leaving.  After all it is the respectful thing to do. 
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:44 AM »

I won't go further and explain the many benefits of being the most powerful. I will leave that for you to figure out. Stop going out of topic now. LOL

Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »

If he is going to mine I would recommend NHC more than EOS 1
And the lack of corp ships in our members' possession ensures steady and stable growth. No reliance on something that can be taken away.

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

If he is going to mine I would recommend NHC more than EOS 1
And the lack of corp ships in our members' possession ensures steady and stable growth. No reliance on something that can be taken away.

Only way they lose it is if they leave or if the ship is being upgraded. I try to provide replacements though. lol.  The corp science ships being passed around between everyone also helps.  But I do encourage my people to build their own stuff and be self sufficient. I don't want them relying on me. I am just using corp ships for what they were designed to do.  Be ships for the corp. Not just the corp leader to use. lol
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

Hey, Guys,

Don't worry, I don't carry grudges, especially when it says on the cover page that conflict is inevitable.  While my intention is to be peaceable, I will attack if I have been attacked.  Most of the contacts I have had in the game have been friendly, and I believe that there is respect and the beginning of several friendships there.  I often find that to be an important part of enjoying a game.  

I would like to correct what I said at the beginning about taking membership benefits being like an athlete taking steroids.  That was wrong of me, because it probably criticises a lot of people based on my own personal belief, which only applies to me.  It is not a strategy that would benefit my personal game playing pleasure, however I see nothing wrong in anyone else joining a corp as part of their personal strategy, and they should do it if that is how they enjoy playing.  Phrasing it as I did was unintentionally arrogant.  I apologise to everyone who was offended by it.

Your responses in this thread have been even more educational than the advice threads.  I have a much better idea of what the game is about, and some of your motives too.  This will be a great help in the game.

@ SirEmi
I feel that if you put your post in this thread on your front page, or even on a linked page, you will get more people trying the game out.  

Fly safe, Captains.
Garville Chance

I am a newer player than yourself. I've talked to you in the SOL message list.

As a new player who often plays the way you described in many different games, I think when you don't take lots of gifts and upgrades from other more powerful players, it forces you to play the game and genuinely - without illusions - get to know it. All of hte gifts and upgrades do give you a shortcut to higher power ratings, but they don't teach you the game. My feeling is if you can't enjoy the game without gifts and upgrades then you probably won't enjoy it with them because in order to really learn the game you'll eventually have to go without. No player can infinitely give you gifts and always be available to walk you through the game.

So whether a player goes without early on or later, it's the litmus test for their ability to stick. In many games I've played, there were quite a number of players who coasted on freebies and then hit a wall when the gifts stopped. They never actually played the game up to that point. It hits harder too because they waited so long before playing the real game. All that they've done up to that point will be lost and it'll hurt. And it hurts even more if the gifts were being given to them by the game and not other players. The game intentionally deceived them.

However, there's another phenomena I've noticed in the different games I've played. The game at the lower tiers can be different from the game at higher tiers. So it's still possible for someone like myself who doesn't like freebies to enjoy the early tiers but hit a wall later on when the game changes noticeably to one I don't like.

And for higher tier players, it comes naturally to help the lower tiers because they've played in those tiers and know how much they can help. However, sometimes you have to give the new players room to navigate the game on their own for a while. It's hard to resist the impulse to help them, but you have to understand: not all players like to be drowned in loot and upgrades. And the lower tier game is not worthless just because the items are so weak or because the lower tier player has such small powers. If the game is at least moderately similar from the bottom tiers to the top then letting the lower tier players learn the ropes early can help prevent them from having a hard crushing blow when they discover they don't like the game much later in their playing career. They'll still experience grief and leave the game disgusted, but it won't be as heavy hitting.

Lastly, the best way to help a low tier player is to answer any questions they ask. Do not answer questions they don't ask. If they've at a prior time declined money and gifts then don't offer them unless asked for.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:41:26 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »

well said...

the EoS agrees.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »

Hey, Guys,

Don't worry, I don't carry grudges, especially when it says on the cover page that conflict is inevitable.  While my intention is to be peaceable, I will attack if I have been attacked.  Most of the contacts I have had in the game have been friendly, and I believe that there is respect and the beginning of several friendships there.  I often find that to be an important part of enjoying a game.  

I would like to correct what I said at the beginning about taking membership benefits being like an athlete taking steroids.  That was wrong of me, because it probably criticises a lot of people based on my own personal belief, which only applies to me.  It is not a strategy that would benefit my personal game playing pleasure, however I see nothing wrong in anyone else joining a corp as part of their personal strategy, and they should do it if that is how they enjoy playing.  Phrasing it as I did was unintentionally arrogant.  I apologise to everyone who was offended by it.

Your responses in this thread have been even more educational than the advice threads.  I have a much better idea of what the game is about, and some of your motives too.  This will be a great help in the game.

@ SirEmi
I feel that if you put your post in this thread on your front page, or even on a linked page, you will get more people trying the game out.  

Fly safe, Captains.
Garville Chance

As a new player who often plays the way you described in many different games, I think when you don't take lots of gifts and upgrades from other more powerful players, it forces you to play the game and genuinely - without illusions - get to know it. All of hte gifts and upgrades do give you a shortcut to higher power ratings, but they don't teach you the game. My feeling is if you can't enjoy the game without gifts and upgrades then you probably won't enjoy it with them because in order to really learn the game you'll eventually have to go without. No player can infinitely give you gifts and always be available to walk you through the game.

So whether a player goes without early on or later, it's the litmus test for their ability to stick. In many games I've played, there were quite a number of players who coasted on freebies and then hit a wall when the gifts stopped. They never actually played the game up to that point. It hits harder too because they waited so long before playing the real game. All that they've done up to that point will be lost and it'll hurt. And it hurts even more if the gifts were being given to them by the game and not other players. The game intentionally deceived them.

However, there's another phenomena I've noticed in the different games I've played. The game at the lower tiers can be different from the game at higher tiers. So it's still possible for someone like myself who doesn't like freebies to enjoy the early tiers but hit a wall later on when the game changes noticeably to one I don't like.

And for higher tier players, it comes naturally to help the lower tiers because they've played in those tiers and know how much they can help. However, sometimes you have to give the new players room to navigate the game on their own for a while. It's hard to resist the impulse to help them, but you have to understand: not all players like to be drowned in loot and upgrades. And the lower tier game is not worthless just because the items are so weak or because the lower tier player has such small powers. If the game is at least moderately similar from the bottom tiers to the top then letting the lower tier players learn the ropes early can help prevent them from having a hard crushing blow when they discover they don't like the game much later in their playing career. They'll still experience grief and leave the game disgusted, but it won't be as heavy hitting.

Lastly, the best way to help a low tier player is to answer any questions they ask. Do not answer questions they don't ask. If they've at a prior time declined money and gifts then don't offer them unless asked for.

Who exactly are you addressing this reply to? Garville?  1
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »

Hey, Guys,

@ SirEmi

Fly safe, Captains.
Garville Chance

You are absolutely correct.  The problem with this game is how much harder things are at the lower tiers.  In the beginning you got really long jump timers. The pay from transport missions is really low. Mining isn't really very profitable. Though pirating at low levels can work well. One of the reasons early level mining is a pain though isn't so much from the pirates. You also have to deal with people who are inactive or barely active that have left modules on planets/moons that might have something halfway decent on it.  Overall the beginning requires a lot of patience. Many players quit when they are at the Venus stage of the academy. I used to like to go to Venus to take pop shots at the inactives there because some of them would sometimes drop diamonds. So yes that told me what stage of the academy they were at.  Getting new upgrades for their ships is slow.  As time goes on they can eventually attempt SOS's. But the problem is they find they aren't making much off them because they aren't able to go further out to get the good ones.  So some start on COMs. Unfortunately many try to use armor when they are first doing this so they really aren't making a lot of money because of armor repair. So the slow start with all this is what causes many to become frustrated and quit.

In the higher tiers your mostly going to be doing COMs for good money. Unfortunately though you got to deal with long attack timers.  Like in the early game people do get bored. Only people at this point feel like there really isn't much left for them to do.  So there are some who end up quitting because of how boring things are.   Now I create the corp ships to help my other members. Unfortunately though for some it does rob them of that early learning experience. I do try to encourage them to do stuff on their own and they don't get corp ships right away.  Sometimes I am still in the middle of working on one so a new member needs to wait a while.  In that time though I do offer advice and do what I can to help.  I don't just give them high MK modules though.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »

I would just like to inform everyone...

I win 1

It's an extreme pleasure to have you aboard Garville. I never had a doubt in my mind.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:58:03 PM by Rostin » Report to moderator   Logged

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 12:39:25 AM »

Hi Garville

P.S Your name sounds a bit like Garfield. Maybe I've been watching too much cartoons.

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: