Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 03:06:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Damaged Armor  (Read 8893 times)
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »

We really need a way to remove damaged armor.  As it stands now the only way to remove it is to repair. For those of us who forget they even had some and want to replace it with superior shields, this means we must first repair it. So we have to waste time and resources. I'd much rather just pull it off and maybe either repair it later or sell it for a reduced price.
Report to moderator   Logged
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »

It's been in the game forever, JJ.

You should be used to it by now.

...I mean, "DUH!"...
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »

It's been in the game forever, JJ.

You should be used to it by now.

...I mean, "DUH!"...

Used to it and liking it are two different things.  This is an issue that I am sure frustrates new players more then me. Especially since many of them make the mistake of doing COMs with armor earlier on.  I didn't even notice I had damaged armor on some of my older ships because I am so used to not using armor now. lol
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »

lol

yeah, I know. but it's still just a matter of maintaining your ships...
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:19 AM »

lol

yeah, I know. but it's still just a matter of maintaining your ships...

This would make doing so much easier.
Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to throw my lot in with JJL on this one, but also to go a step further. It seems to me - and I'm fairly new, so anyone can feel free to step in here - that armor needs a little bit of a buff to even be faintly relevant in this game. It's much more expensive to use armor if you factor in maintenance costs, not to see extremely tedious even with a little ship. And if you were ever to try to use ONLY armor, you'd only be able to do one (maybe two?) COM mission before going home to repair. The one redeeming aspect to armor is that it scales better than shields at the high level, so you could potentially get more max power for your RP buck... but this redeeming aspect is nullified by the fact that armor only counts half towards ship power. If it at least counted like shields, it might see use as auxiliary protection that also buffs your power for getting higher value COMs... any chance, Sir Emi, that we could add something to the upcoming fixes to allow armor to count as normal towards ship power? Or even some other buff, if you could think of something. It just seems like a shame for that entire tech tree to be essentially useless. Also I'm bored of building shields  3.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »

Did you know that 1 armor power point counts as two armor? It takes 2000 normal damage to take down a 1000 armor. 3000 damage if you are using lasers. 1500 damage if you are using railguns. 1
Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »

Raph, are you saying that a mk 1 crystalline armor, 15000 power, protects against 30000 damage? Or that it protects against 15000 damage but counts as 7500 power? Because the latter is my understanding, but if that's not the case, then I'm very wrong about armor....

raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »

15000 armor protects against 30000 damage. 

In the total ship power calculation, it only counts as 7500.  1
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »

yes, that is how it works.
Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:27 AM »

Well, that's better than I realized... but I still say armor should be worth it's given power, to make it more valuable for COM ships. As it stands, I'd only ever go hard for armor on a PVP ship, if I one day have one of those. And even then, by winning you'd probably be losing, cause that would be crazy expensive.

lisunken
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »

you should able to remove and replace damaged armor with another and not have use up a slot on ship.
sometime you can not repair in space have has to go back to sol. that can be a great distance.
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:52:29 AM »

I think armor will be useful if aliens got guns that bypass shields, that was announce (if I remember well) but remain to be seen.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »

I think your confusing the guy.  Let's break it down simple for you.

Armor and Shields contrary to popular belief aren't much different.  They have to be completely breached before they are destroyed. Problem with armor is it is possible to even partial damage it while shields just regenerate after the battle.  For the purpose of further explanation I will use the MK 1 Crystalline armor plates for comparison. For shields I will use a MK 21 Adv Electromagnetic shield .

15000 armor
15000 shield

Now vipers will damage these both exactly the same way. A MK 27 Viper has 15000 attack not including any bonuses the ship will likely have. Enough to bring down 1 module of either of these if it hits right.

Lasers will work different. A MK 7 laser has 15000 attack.  However even with a good shot, not including bonuses, it is only going to do roughly 7500 to the armor. To the shield it will easily pierce it.  To get through the shield you only need a MK 2 laser.  For the armor you would need a MK 17 laser.

Now railguns also work different. A MK 2 Railgun has 15000 attack.  Against that armor even a MK 1 will do nicely.  Against shields you would need a MK 7. 

The problem with both Armor and Railguns is the fact that they are both expensive to build. When it comes to cost effectiveness, your better off going with shields and vipers. Why vipers? Because for COMs they are equally effective against both shields and armor. Enemy COM ships of course have both. You can also just marine up if you prefer.  When designing a PVP oriented ship you want lasers.  Most people just aren't going to use much in the way of armor. Lasers while more expensive then vipers, are cheaper then railguns and are what is needed to get through enemy shields quickly.  Yes if the enemy has a lot of armor you may need some railguns. But the odds of that being the case isn't very high simply because even with PVP ships, most of us just don't want to shell out the cost for it.  Granted we can easily build some of that with stuff we get from nest. But if we got to repair it, it is going to be pretty annoying. That is why I worked on phasing out armor. It is even more annoying that we have to repair it to even remove it.  You should be able to remove it without repairing it.  Only it would be worth a lot less in that shape if you were to sell it. Which of course makes sense and would be fine with me.  There is one thing I want to comment on now before ending this.

Only if the 30,000 is from a laser.  I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »

Only if the 30,000 is from a laser.  I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise.

You are not following the conversation. Read it again. LOL
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: