Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 25, 2024, 08:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SITREP to display distance from Sol  (Read 11846 times)
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

ƒuck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »

That'd be much appreciated. Quite often I find myself wanting to send the nearest vessel to Earth to pick up some stuff for, say SOS missions that another member of my fleet can't take on due to a lack of space or the goods in question. Since my ships spend most of their time in deep space, I need to check them individually to see which one is closest to Earth. If the SITREP could display the distance from our homeworld in LY, or at the very least show in which Quadrant they are, it'd be most useful. (Better still would be to show total jump calculation time to Sol, but I guess that's pushing it  16)
Report to moderator   Logged
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »

You could use the Star Map with a zoom level of 10%, the total cluster around SOL is visible. Then select the ship you want, go to that sector and zoom 100% to see the name of the ship.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »

You can also look at the Nav Comp and it tells you how far a ship is from Sol 1

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »

what Rostin said, by using the Nav Comp, you will always know how far you are away from home (as well as how far you are away from your other way-points).
JoolzVern
Sergeant

Nobody ever listens to Tim the wizard...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »

That's true, but I myself actually thought that it would be convenient if the navigation screen had a dot or arrow on the edge of the map with the distance to Sol.

offnow.org <-Stop the NSSA's subversion of your security
Prism-Break.org <-Ways to secure your data as much as possible
EFF.org <-Electronic Frontier Foundation
Stopkillerrobots.org <-Stop autonomous drones designed to hunt people
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »

That'd be much appreciated. Quite often I find myself wanting to send the nearest vessel to Earth to pick up some stuff for, say SOS missions that another member of my fleet can't take on due to a lack of space or the goods in question. Since my ships spend most of their time in deep space, I need to check them individually to see which one is closest to Earth. If the SITREP could display the distance from our homeworld in LY, or at the very least show in which Quadrant they are1, it'd be most useful. (Better still would be to show total jump calculation time to Sol, but I guess that's pushing it  16)

1this aspect has been needed since forever

sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »

That's true, but I myself actually thought that it would be convenient if the navigation screen had a dot or arrow on the edge of the map with the distance to Sol.

and it would...
maybe a space on the SITREP page for both distance from Earth and what sector (quadrant) the ship is in (please, pretty please)...
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »

if you have a ship at SOL (science vessel...), select it and view the list of your ships and you have the distance from all your ships to SOL.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:34 AM »

I know you could use the nav computer or a ship in sol to see these things, but it involves extra mouse-clicks. The SITREP screen has pretty much become the centre of my universe, so it'd be good to have more key info there.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:22:46 AM »

Just click the nav computer.  Seriously one click and Sol shows up first on the list there.  Siterep does not need this. Hell there could be a time in the future where there is more then one location to buy our stuff and those of us who are big fish can say goodbye to Earth for good. Of course this would make the idea for this in siterep rather useless.  Which it kinda is anyways since there are multiple ways you can check already.
Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »

I'm with sargas and Raptor, it would be amazing if Sitrep showed what quadrant your ship was in. That would solve Raptor's "which ship is closest to Sol" problem, and be equally relevant no matter how many future shopping locations might arise. Plus, yesterday I had the unpleasant realization that two of my SOS ships had wandered into the same quadrant. Granted, this is a user stupidity error and nothing else, but that extra info in Sitrep would've helped me figure out my blunder much sooner.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »

You can see what quadrant your in simply by clicking Navigation. Just look at the top left hand corner of the screen. Seriously do people want stuff spoon fed to them that is right in plain site. Siterep is for updating site info.  I could understand wanting info on the fill rate of mines or maybe combat timers . Though you can click on attack for the latter.  But it has no place in the siterep. Do you even know what it means.

a periodic report of the current military situation

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sitrep

It already has more then really is needed as it is.  It's fine as is for now.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »

I'm perfectly aware of what SITREP means, and were I to command an army, my response to "Sir, they're at (insert random numbered star), I'd respond with: "In which F*CKING QUADRANT IS THAT?"  16
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »

I'm perfectly aware of what SITREP means, and were I to command an army, my response to "Sir, they're at (insert random numbered star), I'd respond with: "In which F*CKING QUADRANT IS THAT?"  16

That might be good for the attack timers. But of course you can see which ship is where on the ship screen.  Just as you can see your current quadrant on Star Maps, Navigation and Nav Comp. Actually I just checked. Top left corner of the site rep, it is there too.  As for distance from Sol.  Just look on the nav computer.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »

It says what your current Q is ONLY for the active ship. If you have over a dozen it'd be useless. 1
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: