Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 07:34:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: rating system?  (Read 5742 times)
dazz
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »

so i've been playing for a little while now. doing things like missions etc is good but you don't have any way of advancement or anything to show for it.
can we have a rating system? ratings and rewards based on certain actions and how we complete those actions?
Report to moderator   Logged
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »

Not sure if everyone wants to show what they have achieved so far, but another way to address this is to just improve the current top ranking. A top ranking for different areas of the game would be nice (for mining, research, COMs, SOS, etc).  1
Dragonfly
Lance Corporal

Eternal Wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:19:23 AM »

A top ranking for different areas of the game would be nice (for mining, research, COMs, SOS, etc
Yes, yes, that's the way  thumbsup

dazz
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »

my idea of a rating system would also mean that the higher your rating the better missions you can get as well. so they could be worth more money to you. especially at the very start of the game it would be nice to see that your hard work is somehow paying off.
Dragonfly
Lance Corporal

Eternal Wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »

Actually, implementing something like this would give all non-military players a great advantage in making profit. hmm  12

Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »

Dazz said:"my idea of a rating system would also mean that the higher your rating the better missions you can get as well."

COM missions are already based on the power rating of our ships that is directly related to our rating. I completed 3 missions this morning:

Mission reward      38,463,093      18-Dec-2014 15:06
Mission reward      57,632,352      18-Dec-2014 15:03
Mission reward      75,020,219      18-Dec-2014 15:01
Irredrache
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »

I think that this would go hand-in-hand with my proposed idea for experience points.

For instance... how do you rate a miner? How much he mines? How much money he makes? What if he makes modules with his minings, and doesn't sell them? What if he only harvests diamonds and other rare stuff, but makes lots of money doing it? There are too many different ways to mine successfully to make a simple rating system. But if all mining activities give experience points (mine 1 iron - 1 xp... mine 1 diamond - 10 xp, for instance), then you can rate the best miners by total cumulative mining experience across the board.

Same for SOS. How would you rate a player on SOS missions? Bubbles completed? Money made? Who is rated more highly, someone who gets lots of pods but ignores fuel distress/medicine/mining missions? Or someone who collects every single pod but maybe doesn't make as much money? Give xp for every kind of pod depending on how far out it is, etc, and then you can have a concrete system for knowing who is the most successful at SOS missions!

You can rate explorers (exploration xp based on planets surveyed, perhaps with more xp the further out you go, and more xp for the first player ever to survey a planet 13 ), pirate killers, and scientists in this way.  15

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

dazz
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »

well to have a points system would also be good. i'd like to know exactly how many missions of a particular type i've done and how they stack up and all that. even with military missions what about having a ratings system there something along the lines of the old elite system going from harmless to elite? which is based on the ships you kill amount and type in each encounter?
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »

my idea of a rating system would also mean that the higher your rating the better missions you can get as well. so they could be worth more money to you. especially at the very start of the game it would be nice to see that your hard work is somehow paying off.

The further away from Sol you get the better the missions get, the more missions you do and the more you upgrade your ships the further away from Sol you can travel. I don't see it as especially hard to notice that your hard work pays off as you play, it might be a bit slow at the start though.

Personally I'm not that big a fan of exp point systems in games like this where it's sort of a sandbox style game where you can do whatever you want. Idk why it just doesn't feel like it fits to me.

Irredrache, I would imagine all of those things you are talking about would just be seperate categories, so somebody could be tops in Total SoS missions completed while someone else could be tops in Money made off SoS missions. Though people have in the past mentioned they didn't necessarily want everyone to know how many of each mission type they are doing for various reasons. People like Dazz would like to be able to keep track of their own operations though so I do kind of wish there was some kind of mission tracking system in place and SirEmi could just make the information private and only viewable in a small link from your SITREP page or something like that, then if people wanted to share that information they could do so. As for who the best overall miner/explorer etc is I'm not sure how to deal with that. Because honestly like you said different people approach mining and exploring differently because they value some things differently. Some people will probably say your profit from mining matters the most while others think the overall amount of minerals you mine should matter more. Because of that it's kind of hard to come up with exp values for each action that will be fair/make everyone happy.

Dazz the tricky thing about putting some sort of rating system on the difficulty/danger of combat missions is that they scale based on your ship power and unless I've forgotten/am mistaken there is no actual maximum difficulty/danger level. So say you have a hii-jacking mission with a pirate ship that has 5 mil power, maybe that might be considered as an elite level or high danger mission (It would have been like two years ago maybe lol) but as the players get stronger something like that would become not only routine but even low difficulty compared to what they can do later on. You can end up with a situation where you have a ranking system like this:
Total power of Pirate Forces: Easy - =< 100k power, Normal =< 300k power, Hard =<750k power, Elite =< 1.5 mil power

Only a majority of the players at this point never actually see a combat mission below 1.5 mil power so there is nothing "elite" about them.

That might just be my own personal opinion but in a game that grows according to the growth of the players a static rating system just doesn't fit if you ask me. Now if SirEmi could track each of the COM missions that is done in game and then sort them out to come up with a sort of average and have those ranks change based on the average power of the opposing pirate/alien forces in COM missions that are completed then that would be a more complete ranking system for this kind of game imo. But he might think that is more work than it's worth lol.

The only real limit on COM missions at the moment is patience of the players with the combat timers getting longer and longer as power gets higher. Hopefully SirEmi will re-do the combat system to fix that problem because high power combat is basically pointless. I'm almost surprised that pirates can't leave the area before the timer finishes considering some of the COM missions people like Jam, Mata and Raphel do could probably last for a week or two. Assuming that gets fixed then who knows how high the power for COM missions could get and it would completely redefine what is a Normal COM mission and what is an Elite mission.

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

ƒuck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

The further away from Sol you get the better the missions get

SOS: yes
COM: no
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print