Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 04:45:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ship speed versus hull class  (Read 6307 times)
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

Ok so I've been led to believe hull class does not impact FTL or WHG speed. And yet early on in my playing career I found this not to be the case. So recently I revisited this to see once and for all what difference there's if any.

Interplanetary speed:
Battlecruiser (Hull Class VI with FTL X and no optimizations): .01143 LY/s
Frigate (Hull Class II with FTL X and no optimizations): .01443 LY/s, 1.262x faster
Shuttle (Hull Class I with FTL X and no optimizations): .01543 LY/s, 1.349x faster

Trip to Jupiter from SOL:
Battlecruiser - 190 s, 1.357x slower
Frigate - 150 s, 1.063x slower
Shuttle - 141 s
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:00:17 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

Ć’uck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

For interSTELLAR jumps, there's no difference. So WHG wise there's no impact. InterPLANETARY is a different kettle of fish: there's a small AU/s tactical advantage of .010 for a class II, dropping by 0.001 per class level, till class XI = 0.001 advantage. A Titan is 0.0025 then.
Report to moderator   Logged
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »

Ok so I've been led to believe hull class does not impact FTL or WHG speed.

Who told you that?  1

http://forum.astro-galaxy.com/index.php/topic,8478.0.html
Hodortor
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:28 AM »

It read for leisure To complement it.

Berlinnoi
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »

I like this story I read it every day.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 01:43:32 AM »

I like this story I read it every day.

Oh my god, me too!!
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:01 AM »

Want to add it seems increasing MK of FTL decreases the interplanetary gap introduced by hull class. For example, if both ships are FTL 5 but are widely different hull class the difference might be big. However, if the FTL is 50 then it's small.

This means, in my case, it offers no benefit unless I use the scout optimization. There's virtually no reason, insofar as interplanetary or interstellar travel is concerned, to select a small hull class without the scout optimization over a larger hull class without the scout optimization, unless you're using it for combat. You want a big ship.

So these're teh classes of ships I can think of:
1) Scout (shuttle and frigates)
2) Combat (anything between heavy frigate and battleships)
3) Motherships -- leviathan hull class -- the main transporter
4) Science/Manufacturing -- max hull class, manufacturing optimization, modules dedicated to science, orbiting Earth

What I was trying to do was create a hybrid scout/transporter. That's when I noticed this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:00:24 AM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
dkuhnkc
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:39 PM »

Want to add it seems increasing MK of FTL decreases the interplanetary gap introduced by hull class. For example, if both ships are FTL 5 but are widely different hull class the difference might be big. However, if the FTL is 50 then it's small.

This means, in my case, it offers no benefit unless I use the scout optimization. There's virtually no reason, insofar as interplanetary or interstellar travel is concerned, to select a small hull class without the scout optimization over a larger hull class without the scout optimization, unless you're using it for combat. You want a big ship.

So these're teh classes of ships I can think of:
1) Scout (shuttle and frigates)
2) Combat (anything between heavy frigate and battleships)
3) Motherships -- leviathan hull class -- the main transporter
4) Science/Manufacturing -- max hull class, manufacturing optimization, modules dedicated to science, orbiting Earth

What I was trying to do was create a hybrid scout/transporter. That's when I noticed this.

I agree. My ships are as follows:
  • 1 - class 3, scout optimized (WHG-C engine)
  • 4 - class 4 bomber optimized. You need at least ACB-D (500) AES-M (1000) & MAU-MM tech.
  • 6 - class 9 improved shields. You need at least AES-CC (200) & MAU-D tech
  • 9 - class 12 factory optimized. Those at earth build smaller modules, those elsewhere build Mk 500, 1000 or larger modules.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: