Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  April 24, 2024, 09:45:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Module Levels  (Read 8723 times)
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:45:24 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what possed SirEmi to make the module levels display in roman numerals but... it can be kinda difficult to figure out what lvl your modules are at first glance. I'm sure folks have gotten used to it over time but there aren't a lot of things in todays world that uses roman numerals, and for a reasonably good reason. (A number shouldn't require you to decode it so to speak) I've only started to notice it now because I'm currently overhauling all my SoS/cargo ships into COM ships because I don't have time for SoS missions anymore, but juggling so many module upgrades and manufacturing can start to be quite the headache that isn't made any better when you have to decode the roman numerals to figure out what level your module is and how many resources you need to get it up to the level you want it at.

So for that reason I would like to suggest that SirEmi create an option that we can turn on or off that would display module levels in normal numbers rather than roman numerals. That way the people that like the roman numerals can keep them and everyone else can use normal numbers.
Report to moderator   Logged

"Hear me! And if I close my mind in fear, please pry it open.
See me! And if my face becomes sincere beware.
Hold me! And when I start to come undone, stitch me together.
See me! And when you see me strut remind me of what left this outlaw torn..."
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

ƒuck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:11:06 AM »

It's just AG acknowledging Roman 0wnage.  19
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »

Fenix: first, use the spreadsheet Ralph share with every one to make your upgrade calculations. Second use even numbers for your upgrades, it is easier C, CC, CCC...That should make your life easier lol.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »

Fenix: first, use the spreadsheet Ralph share with every one to make your upgrade calculations. Second use even numbers for your upgrades, it is easier C, CC, CCC...That should make your life easier lol.

I have my own spreadsheet which I find to be formatted much better and is easier to find the information I want (or calcuate it in this case). Also I'm not quite at the points where I can jump my modules from a mark 100 to a mark 200 like you do mata. I usually perfer to do upgrades in multiples of 4 since 4 levels gives you the exact "effect" of the base module itself and it's easier for me to know how much more powerful the module will be. It's also a bit because of my OCD, I don't like seeing a marine module for instance with 21,825 marine on it, I would rather it have a square 22,000.

This may not be the best way to go about upgrades considering we have to deal with roman numerals but that is how I prefer to do so. I don't think it would be too much trouble to have the option to use normal numbers, I'm fairly sure the modules have to have normal numbers in the game code anyway so it's extra effort in the first place just to display it in roman numerals. I'm sure some people appreciate that, I'm just not one of them lol.

Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »

I can understand you Fenix, I was upgrading my modules the same way you do now (when I was young in game time).
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »

Just the same way I am doing mine now...
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »

I agree the Roman Numerals don't really help.

Roman numeral for 30: XXX
Roman numeral for 80: LXXX
Roman numeral for 172: CLXXII
Roman numeral for 324: CCCXXIV
Roman numeral for 911: CMXI
Roman numeral for 1003: MIII
Roman numeral for 1075: MLXXV

Someone tell me how it helps!!!! What is my brain not seeing?

I got mild (insane!?) OCD. I like modules to end in V or X (no ugly I's). Ocassionally an I slips through.

NOW I will add being able to click on the drop down in manufacturing to quickly set the MK level is nice. I use it all the time to set it to maximum. Of course, you can type it, but I'm lazy and my mouse and me are really good friends. BUT * THIS IS A BIG BUT * you can't click on a dropdown if hte module input box is set to a number. This is the case with the cargo module. WHY?

PLEASE GOD (sir emi) put a max link for modules in manufacturing which have a numeric input box. Or a dropdown.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:38:14 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »

When you want to build many identical modules, for module past MKX, at the first one select the numbers and do a CTRL C and build and at the next module CTRL V and build.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »

PLEASE GOD (sir emi) put a max link for modules in manufacturing which have a numeric input box. Or a dropdown.

Don't you dare touch our Roman numerals 16

I've OCD too, but of a different kind. I seek round output numbers. So am using ACB-CXCVII for 15,000 m3 cargo space, AES-LXXVII for 50,000 shielding (ok, that's a lie, I'm upgrading to something better 16), and stuff like that. A lot ending in 97...
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »

I agree the Roman Numerals don't really help.

Roman numeral for 30: XXX
Roman numeral for 80: LXXX
Roman numeral for 172: CLXXII
Roman numeral for 324: CCCXXIV
Roman numeral for 911: CMXI
Roman numeral for 1003: MIII
Roman numeral for 1075: MLXXV

Someone tell me how it helps!!!! What is my brain not seeing?

I got mild (insane!?) OCD. I like modules to end in V or X (no ugly I's). Ocassionally an I slips through.

NOW I will add being able to click on the drop down in manufacturing to quickly set the MK level is nice. I use it all the time to set it to maximum. Of course, you can type it, but I'm lazy and my mouse and me are really good friends. BUT * THIS IS A BIG BUT * you can't click on a dropdown if hte module input box is set to a number. This is the case with the cargo module. WHY?

This is the fastest way to manufacture modules: Have 3 tabs on your browser. On the first tab, buy the metal requirement. On the second, the gas. The third tab is used to manufacture the module. Now you have manufactured one module. For the next 47 modules, you only have to click the tabs, press F5 and spacebar. Will only take less than two seconds per module.

You can take it one step further by buying minerals and gas for multiple modules if you have enough cargo space. In this case, you only click the first two tabs once, but the third tab multiple times. 1
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »

I like the idea about keeping three tabs open each for buying minerals/gases and for the manufacturing screen. If you're going to be buying a lot of module materials that'd help. It's surprisingly simple, but I've never done it before. Whenever I needed to know the amount for something, I'd just write it down in a text file and reference that. Later on in my experience I started using the spreadsheet (which someone linked on this forum) which has formulas for the modules. Of course, while doing all that I clicked on minerals and gases every time I need to make a new module, instead of keeping 3 tabs open - 2 for buying.

I still think a max link for modules with numeric input is a good idea. Don't need any messy solutions. As it's, if I have the materals in my cargo and I want to make a max shield, I got to click on the field and enter the max value. It's fine, but it's not ideal.

And of course: I like what the OP is saying and agre. Roman numerals don't help.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:11:23 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 03:34:41 AM »

I would do what Raphel does but yea... my computer is garbage. I could use one tab and have it move to 3 different pages taking like 30-60 seconds for the page to load or use three tabs and have each tabe take like 1-2 minutes to load and probably deal with pages freezing while I try to put the numbers in.

I generally deal with module upgrades by upgrading them 20 levels at a time. Like Raptor said I want/need my modules to have even numbers with the effect so I want shields with 10,000 shields rather than 9,925, or cargo bays with 6,300 m3 of space rather than 6225 m3. Because of that I end up dealing with all my modules having an I at the end of them. Most of the time it isn't really an issue but you get up into the 70's or 80's and then it starts throwing in all sorts of numerals that confuse me at first glance and I have to take like 2 seconds to actually figure out what the number is.

Antilak gave that example of a mk 324 module being CCCXXIV, I would rather have 3 digits as opposed to 7 roman numerals. This would also save space in a number of instances.

Idk if a max link is really a big deal, I mean I have research for mk 300 em shields but I've only just started using mk 141's in my ships. Typing it in really isn't a big deal, I just double click the box and type in the number over the number already in there. It really doesn't take long to type in the module level even if you do have modules up in the thousands, or if you are mata the tens of thousands. Personally I got my research on everything up past 20 to get rid of those stupid drop down menus on the manufacturing screen they were just annoying and made the page load slower for me.

Though a button to duplicate or replicate an order in progress might be nice. Like if I'm making some mk 141 em shields it would be nice to have a button I can press to just make another of that same order, or even better have a box next to said button so I can put in how many of that order I want.

Raptor
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »

Hands off those numerals :p

I'm approaching tech levels that spell out my initials 16
Fenix
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »

Hands off those numerals :p

I'm approaching tech levels that spell out my initials 16

Git ya darn dirty Roman! Your kind aren't wanted in here! =p

In all seriousness though I dread the day when I get up closer to where Mata is and I have to deal with something like a mk MMDMCCCLXXXI module or something like that. I mean that is just... ugh... I mean that looks like some kind of serial code or something, it's ridiculous.

Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »

laugh

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: