Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 09:10:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Junk Drawer Tips  (Read 19915 times)
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »

Hi, y'all.  Been spending time data mining the Forum while drivin' my bus around and a thought popped up:  A sort of 'reverse' guide to the game.

Goes something like this:  Bravo posts -- I waited to progress in the SEA course until I had the goodies for a Heavy Frigate and then put a bunch of Cargo Bays on it.  I use it to transport crews here'n'there.  Got a gas mine and a sulfur mine that no one's killed, yet. Is this the optimal route for a newb that is 'x' far in the SEA course or is/are there things you can suggest?

Folks weigh in with their input which might be --- A:  Nope.  You're doomed to crawl until further notice.  B:  "Ya friggin' idjit!  Wha'd ya go an' do sumpin like dat fer?"  C:  Could be worse; better than a sharp stick in the eye, though.  D:...well, y'all get the idea.

If some of the respondents tossed in 'Here's how you could _______' sorts of commentary, the thread could evolve into a useful critter.

Could even start with this entry.  The info in the "Bravo posts..." is accurate. 

So, what kinda input have y'all got?

Report to moderator   Logged
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »

I never waited to progress further in the SEA. The reward you get for completing the course makes it a priority and in my opinion there is no reason to wait because the game gives you what you need to do each step 1

Once I got through the academy I set up a small mining operation in one of the stars near Sol to collect materials to turn into fuel or sell at Earth. Then I went and collected the interstellar taxi missions from Earth that had me going to that same star. There is a nifty trick with taxi missions; you can accept them and then talk to the passengers in the cargo bay and ask them to leave (while you're still at Earth). Then if you look back at the station where you get missions there will be a completely new one generated. Using this method I would get three missions to the same star and while dropping them off I would collect the materials that I harvested, bring them back to earth, sell them, rinse and repeat.

If you join a corp soon you might be able to skip straight to SOS missions (which require faster wormhole generators and larger cargo bays) instead of messing with the taxi missions forever

Join the Solar Enterprises corporation today!
RegnadKcin
Sergeant

Nunc est bibendum - Quintus Horatius Flaccus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »

Have to second what Rostin said... finishing the Academy should be a first priority.

After that, the help you can get from joining a Corp will be invaluable in getting "moving". Just a couple of Mk XXX modules is more help than you can imagine. Build yourself a small SOS ship with them, and you'll be cookin' in no time.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »

finish the academy and then we can talk...
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »

I'm stoked that you posted what you did, Sargas. And a big thanks to those of y'all that have added to this 'Baby Book' that I'm hoping comes about.  This is precisely what da noobish amongst us need.  

Ya don't need me to note that you're absolutely correct.  To the best of my severely truncated knowledge, 'life' begins after SEA school.

As wet-behind-the-ears as I am though, I ought to ask --  With your experience, aren't there other tidbits you could share that'd help a li'l space duckling make effective use of the SEA stuff?

***Late Addition***

(I can hear folks grumblin' now.  "Damned noobish puddin' heads!")

The idea behind this post is -- FLASH!!  More clueless infant(ile) ship captains barfed up and deposited in Sol. -- 

We're no good to you experienced folks unless we progress.  Y'all have "...been there, done that, got the tattoos." 

It's no secret that the time involved in getting your feet under you is a big deal.  It's likely a (the?) biggest contributor to folks throwing in the towel and sayin', "Nope!  Too slow." 

Sargas?  If there's ANY friggin' thing you've learned that would mitigate some of the frustrations of watchin' timers count down, I am dead certain that I and some, more circumspect and bashful, creatures would appreciate the info dump.

If you had to crawl again, what would you do?  What would ya do differently?  How, knowin' what ya do now, would you make the 'baby steps' more interesting?  And, if y'all don't have any input on that, could you recommend a good bar to hang out in while we wait?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:54:13 PM by BravoVoid » Report to moderator   Logged
RegnadKcin
Sergeant

Nunc est bibendum - Quintus Horatius Flaccus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »

Best advice? "If you're the smartest person in the room, find another room."

Though, my wife says HER best advice was, "You're only helpless while your nail polish is wet... and even then, you could pull a trigger if you had to."

Take your pick.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:46:43 PM by RegnadKcin » Report to moderator   Logged
Matamaure001
Staff Sergeant

An empire builder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 07:50:18 PM »

Vote every day, it pays when you are small. Transport people around: in system first and out of system afterward. You do that till you can buy your first SOS ship. Improve you cargo and engine tech till you can do all in system missions at the same time. I remember doing about 6000 an hour with those in system missions.
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »

1.) Don't buy another ship until you complete the academy.

2.) It's never too early to start making a strong science network
   2a.) Combat tactics, cargo bays, and WHGs are great first tech trees to work on

3.) When you do get a second ship, keep one in Sol to do interplanetary missions while the other one goes and does interstellar ones. It's always good to keep at least one ship close to Earth

sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »

I'm stoked that you posted what you did, Sargas. And a big thanks to those of y'all that have added to this 'Baby Book' that I'm hoping comes about.  This is precisely what da noobish amongst us need.  

Ya don't need me to note that you're absolutely correct.  To the best of my severely truncated knowledge, 'life' begins after SEA school.

As wet-behind-the-ears as I am though, I ought to ask --  With your experience, aren't there other tidbits you could share that'd help a li'l space duckling make effective use of the SEA stuff?

***Late Addition***

(I can hear folks grumblin' now.  "Damned noobish puddin' heads!")

The idea behind this post is -- FLASH!!  More clueless infant(ile) ship captains barfed up and deposited in Sol. -- 

We're no good to you experienced folks unless we progress.  Y'all have "...been there, done that, got the tattoos." 

It's no secret that the time involved in getting your feet under you is a big deal.  It's likely a (the?) biggest contributor to folks throwing in the towel and sayin', "Nope!  Too slow." 

Sargas?  If there's ANY friggin' thing you've learned that would mitigate some of the frustrations of watchin' timers count down, I am dead certain that I and some, more circumspect and bashful, creatures would appreciate the info dump.

If you had to crawl again, what would you do?  What would ya do differently?  How, knowin' what ya do now, would you make the 'baby steps' more interesting?  And, if y'all don't have any input on that, could you recommend a good bar to hang out in while we wait?

The best thing I can do for you now is sell you some faster engines (just remember that they will eat more fuel)...
BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »

Perfect.  Keep it up, y'all.

I'm gonna add my next steps and toss'em out there for commentary.  I'd encourage any and all new captains to add THEIR first steps into the mix and let the 'powers-that-be' shower us with their combined knowledge and wisdom (ok, ok...tongue a LITTLE firmly in cheek).

Share with us how y'all took YOUR baby steps...

Bravo posts:  Alright, here I am.  Done all the SEA school stuff up to the 1st Interstellar jump (10 HOURS!?  Oh, God.)  Got a Heavy Frigate with 6 Cargo Bays, Iridium shields, a MAU @ 42%, a Sci Lab, Living Qs, a Viper outfit, FTL II, and a Wormhole gizmo.  HAVE NOT made the interstellar jump yet, mostly 'cuz I haven't figured out how to satisfy the SEA requirement without locking myself out of the game for half a day...

Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »

You can plot interstellar courses while you do activities in the system.

So while you have the timer going to jump to the nearby star keep doing those taxi missions in Sol

BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 11:11:49 PM »

Bless you, Rostin.  Your place in Heaven is assured.

I've been going through the Forum info like a madman tryin' to find out how not to have a 10 hour siesta this early on.  The info in some of these posts so far is stuff I haven't seen elsewhere in the various Forum strategy entries.  Good stuff.

Like the little kid in the Dickens story, "Please, Sir.  I'd like some more..."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:27:33 PM by BravoVoid » Report to moderator   Logged
Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 11:19:39 PM »

That's why I messaged you the other day warning you that the beginning game is really long and boring 1 and that is why you should keep a ship around Earth and have other things to do in the other systems while you wait for those killer jumps.

It's also why I recommend faster engines as starting research projects

Rostin
Sergeant First Class

Conquer the Stars!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »

And don't forget that multiple engines on one ship will also make the ship go faster. So if your tech isn't that great you can just install more engines to get the same effect as one big engine

BravoVoid
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »

Glad ya brought up multi-engine...I've been fooling around with that.  I had 2 FTL Is on my bus and it did as advertised, cut travel time at the expense of increased fuel use.  Following the SEA segment that netted an FTL II, I installed it alongside the remaining FTL I.  It did not yield noticeable improvement (I'd have to reconfigure my bus to verify that with the numbers).  I've since gone to the single FTL II and cannibilized the other drive space to fit in another CAB.

So, the question is, does it make any sort of sense to mix different Mark equipment?  Are there any perceptible benefits/deficits to doing so?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: