Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 08:47:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Nukes  (Read 11781 times)
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

Ć’uck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:18:06 AM »

They're called STATEGIC nukes for a reason. AG should include some settings that allow you to choose which ships to use them against.

For instance, I've faced a few pirate nests where the first and second ship could be nuked off the scene with one or two attempts, but then target #3 turns out to be an armour op'ed high dodge vessel, and I waste a dozen or more nukes on it without jumping it. Needless to say I *don't*  want to waste those expensive weapons on those.

And yes, I am aware you can get the same bite for your buck with weapons that CAN be re-used, but there are moments when I just want to make sure the target gets hit, and the indiscriminateness of nukes are rather useful for those.
Report to moderator   Logged
RegnadKcin
Sergeant

Nunc est bibendum - Quintus Horatius Flaccus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:01:23 AM »

Speaking of nukes, has anyone been able to figure out how/if the nuke "defense" modules work? We've tried them on stations and ships now, and they don't seem to do ANYTHING. They're never even mentioned in the battle reports. I've asked a couple times on other boards and haven't had any response... not sure if it's a "bug" or we're just not using them right.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:46:42 AM »

I will test it out soon. 1
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »

Speaking of nukes, has anyone been able to figure out how/if the nuke "defense" modules work? We've tried them on stations and ships now, and they don't seem to do ANYTHING. They're never even mentioned in the battle reports. I've asked a couple times on other boards and haven't had any response... not sure if it's a "bug" or we're just not using them right.

While it doesn't show it stopping the nukes, It does.   While it still shows damage of nukes in the battle report they don't do any.  This is an old issue with nukes that has been around a long time.  That said most of us don't even waste our time making nukes.  Their expensive to make and just aren't worth it compared to the other weapon types.
RegnadKcin
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:08:50 AM »

While it doesn't show it stopping the nukes, It does.

And yet, the station was destroyed without any other weapons coming into play...
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »

While it doesn't show it stopping the nukes, It does.

And yet, the station was destroyed without any other weapons coming into play...

hmmm that sounds odd. What level were the nuke defenses? 
RegnadKcin
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »

hmmm that sounds odd. What level were the nuke defenses? 

Mk 97... should be 100% effective. Happened not once, but twice.
JamJulLison
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »

Hmmm. Maybe try it with above 100 percent and see if it works.  Still it sounds like a pretty big bug.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »

As far as I know, no-one is really 'studying' nukes.
My own research shows this:

Remember that two MK I modules produce more than one MK II .
Therefore, maybe 4 or 5 MK?? (adding up to the same level protection) modules may be better than one single module.

Modular placement on ships is important regarding what you want your ship to do. No ship can 'DO IT ALL'.

It becomes a matter of 'what do I have to give up in order for me to get this'. It's called ship design.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:54:49 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »

As far as I know, no-one is really 'studying' nukes.
My own research shows this:

Remember that two MK I modules produce more than one MK II .
Therefore, maybe 4 or 5 MK?? (adding up to the same level protection) modules may be better than one single module.

Modular placement on ships is important regarding what you want your ship to do. No ship can 'DO IT ALL'.

It becomes a matter of 'what do I have to give up in order for me to get this'. It's called ship design.

But how is hte effect cumulative and is it capped?

For example, if I have two 40% defense modules and they always cut damage by 40% and they're computed separately then 100 damage is cut to 40 and to 16, consecutively. A single 80% module would cut damage to 20, meaning it's less effective. But if the two 40% modules are instead computed as (0.4 + 0.4) then they're equal to an 80% module. Computing all defebse modules, this results in a factor, maybe 2x or 5x or 15x. This would mean 100% defense is not actually 100%, as we see it on our screens. A "100%" defense module is actually 1x and this could be 1% cut to the actual damage, or anything.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:40:54 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Other_Bartel
Private First Class

Jazz Hands

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »

They're called STATEGIC nukes for a reason. AG should include some settings that allow you to choose which ships to use them against.
Do you even know what a strategic nuke is?

sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »

Do you even know what a strategic nuke is?

or the difference between strategic and tactical.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: