Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 08:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Add trading stations outside of Earth  (Read 4432 times)
Tahj
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:41:42 AM »

Player-owned or not. I feel like the obligation to go back to Earth for any transaction or modification is a big hindrance to the ability to explore and be independant in the game.
Report to moderator   Logged
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:48:17 AM »

Agreed. 1 By the way the King of the Lorrian Star Kingdom welcomes you to the vast galaxy.  12 If you ever feel like joining a small corporation with lots of opportunity for growth, feel free to send me a pm 1 I also sent you a friend request some time ago.

But back to the topic, maybe you could make some planets out there inhabited by sentient creatures who are able to communicate in the universal language (idk what it is but anyway...) as well as trade in solars (some of the more third-world ones may ask for Diamonds or other kinds or resources in exchange for goods). You could attack the planet and raid them for resources, but doing so will result in being blacklisted by the people there and if they are intelligent enough, they will send their ships after you. If they're not so technologically advanced, they'll just refuse to conduct trade with you. Simple.

I think that would be a fantastic idea and open up more features to the game. I would be glad to work on that in the Game Developing Apprenticeship program, but you've got to teach me stuff first xD

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
Tahj
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 02:52:19 AM »

Your idea is very nice, but also very heavy on the development requirements.

I'm gonna take the approach of the minimum development work required.

Currently as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), Earth is the only place where you can use and trade for solars. You could get away with never trading for resources or modules by gathering and making those yourself. But if you want access to any of the Shipyard services or Crew you are tied to going back.

Player trading is very limited, if not non-existent. And the use for solars is tied to Earth or QP conversion only. Changing this would require quite a bit of work, although it would probably be a good thing for the game? Not sure. Having more uses for solars would definitely be a plus.

Having access to the Shipyard and Crew services outside of Earth would be a big improvement to the game. It doesn't have to be player owned, it could be manually placed in the world at key locations for less actual work required. Other Earth services could be included.

Going a bit further would be to let players, or corporations, set up their own Shipyard or other services, either for public or private access.

Even further would be letting players trade with each other and be able to set up static services on stations. Resource/Module trading and Shipyard services could be included. At this point Manufacturing structures such as ships, stations and fortresses could be an idea.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:56:43 AM by Tahj » Report to moderator   Logged
Madden
Sergeant

Pro.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »

Well, actually off-Earth services are kinda already implemented in the game, but its only for crew and fuel cells (I haven't used the feature for some time, so i don't really know much). You can access it by clicking on the "Navigation" tab on the left side of the screen, then scroll down and look for the word Distress Signals. "Fuel Distress" sends an NPC craft over to your ship, selling fuel cells. The price of the fuel cells depend on the distance between your ship's location and Earth. "Salvage ship" is basically calling a ship over to sell you crew/modules. The price of the crew and modules also differ depending on the distance between your ship and Earth.

Sargas, since you're online, correct me if I'm wrong ;)

IGN: Lord Admiral Kurdock
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »

As Madden says, the 'salvage' ship sells the same items as the SOL Maintenance Station (#2 in Earth orbit). The cost increases with your distance from Earth.

Tahj, the items you would like are items we have already asked for and it looked as if we could get them through the pledge system (and now through the apprenticeship). We have been waiting for quite a while for them. And it looks as if we will be able to code different aspects in the game. We can't really have trading until we get corporate stations (which will probably come after station improvements).
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »

As long as it's not a dumbed down system. This one is already dumb, since there's no real supply/demand going on.

Did no one mention you can sell modules using the Salvage Ship function? This means you can sell resources anywhere by manufacturing modules. Of course, you take a huge hit to the selling price. In the 3rd ring, it's 1/5 of selling resources at earth. But of course you can't buy any minerals or gases from the salvage ship. It's really just a emergency tool. One time I accidentally lost my FTL. I think I ejected or something. So I used hte salvage ship.

If other "SOL Alliance" exchange stations and/or others were created I think it'd be better if they all had different sell/buy prices to mimic supply/demand. That way when you make a decision where to go it's not just whichever is the closest. Generally, the further from SOL a place is the more exposed to the wilderness it'll be. But there could be some fortified military/industrial outposts which combat this. I just would hope some thought was put into it so discernment is rewarded.

I wonder how well player-run stations would work? I'm worried about the power of the biggest players though. There's potentially a lot of mudflation. The power of the biggest players is so immense versus new players. This game is riding a very thin line, especially with open PvP. Many MMO's have been killed by rampant griefing in open PvP.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:15:58 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: